|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
(a) Sticking out from the front doormat.
(b) At the back of the neck of a sleeping slave.
(c) In the fist of a sleeping slave.
(d) Under Aunt Sally's pillow.
2. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
(b) He cannot write.
(c) He has no pen.
(d) He will lose it.
3. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(b) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
(c) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
(d) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
4. Why is Aunt Sally cross in Chapter 37?
(a) She can't find her apron.
(b) Nobody remembered to chop wood.
(c) The stove has gone out.
(d) She can't find a shirt belonging to Uncle Silas.
5. What does the Duke threaten to do to the King if he lies again?
(a) To strip him and push him overboard.
(b) To tar and feather him.
(c) To take his whiskey away from him.
(d) To drown him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tom, how do prisoners always water their plants?
2. How did the King obtain the money to get drunk?
3. Which animal does Tom suggest Jim might tame?
4. Where does the King lay the blame for the missing money?
5. Who dresses in Aunt Sally's clothes in Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
2. How does Tom overreach himself in his elaborate construction of fantasy in Chapter 39?
3. What happens to expose the King's lie about his arrival in the town?
4. In what way does his account of the con men's humiliation reinforce that Huck's character is maturing?
5. In what way is Huck's and Tom's relationship changing by Chapter 36?
6. In what way does each boy's rescue plan for Jim reflect his outlook on life?
7. How does Huck intend to deal with the problem of the arrival of the real Tom Sawyer?
8. When responding Chapter 42, what conclusion is it possible to make concerning a romantic view of the world?
9. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
10. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)