|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 30, what do the King and the Duke accuse each other of doing?
(a) Trying to escape with the money.
(b) Flirting with Mary Jane.
(c) Hiding the money in the coffin.
(d) Trying to drown Huck,
2. According to Huck, what delayed his steamer?
(a) It blew a cylinder head.
(b) It was held up by bad weather.
(c) It had to circle around to pick up a passenger who'd fallen overboard.
(d) It ran aground.
3. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
(a) Adders and garter snakes.
(b) Rattlesnakes and taipans.
(c) House snakes and swamp moccasins.
(d) Garter snakes and house snakes.
4. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
(a) The witch pie.
(b) His vittles.
(c) The rope ladder.
(d) A tin plate.
5. Which animal does Tom suggest Jim might tame?
(a) A large spider.
(b) A dog.
(c) A rattlesnake.
(d) A rat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
2. In Chapter 32, who does Huck say gave him breakfast?
3. Which characters are dreadfully blue and desperate in Chapter 31?
4. In what way does Jim think his prophecy of riches has been fulfilled?
5. Who does Tom say almost spoiled their adventure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
2. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
3. Account for the way the townspeople now view Jim as some sort of lunatic in Chapter 41.
4. Is there any way in which Tom Sawyer's character appears a little unpleasant at this point in the novel (by Chapter 35)?
5. Comment upon the serious layer of meaning in the escapade to free Jim.
6. What happens to expose the King's lie about his arrival in the town?
7. What steps in Huck's journey to maturity are dealt with Chapter 31?
8. How does Aunt Sally respond to Huck's information about the way the boys entered and exited via the lightning rod?
9. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
10. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)