|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury has the real William Wilks sustained?
(a) A broken elbow.
(b) A cut to the forehead.
(c) A laceration to his foot.
(d) A broken arm.
2. With the case-knives not working, what does Tom then choose for digging tools?
3. The doctor uses the word "singular." In the context, what does this word mean?
4. How does Huck describe the Spanish moss he sees?
(a) "Like long green beards."
(b) "Like prayer shawls."
(c) "Like long gray beards."
(d) "Like lonely nuns."
5. What does Huck see behind the smokehouse in Chapter 35?
(a) A case knife.
(b) Someone snooping.
(c) The Duke.
(d) An old rusty saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
2. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
3. Why is Jim lavishly fussed over by the aunts?
4. Where does Huck hide the raft in Chapter 31?
5. Why is Jim initially confused about getting a coat-of-arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does each boy's rescue plan for Jim reflect his outlook on life?
2. What happens to expose the King's lie about his arrival in the town?
3. How does Aunt Sally respond to Huck's information about the way the boys entered and exited via the lightning rod?
4. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
5. What steps in Huck's journey to maturity are dealt with Chapter 31?
6. Who is made a scapegoat in the matter of the spoons and the rats?
7. What final absurdity does Tom attempt in Chapter 40?
8. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
9. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
10. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)