|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Huck, what delayed his steamer?
(a) It was held up by bad weather.
(b) It had to circle around to pick up a passenger who'd fallen overboard.
(c) It blew a cylinder head.
(d) It ran aground.
2. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
(a) At Abram G. Foster's farm.
(b) In jail.
(c) At the Phelps farm.
(d) On the raft.
3. With the case-knives not working, what does Tom then choose for digging tools?
4. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
(a) His father has probably stolen it.
(b) He's had to pay for damage to the steam-boat that ran over the raft.
(c) He imagines his father has obtained the money from Judge Thatcher and spent it all on drink.
(d) Judge Thatcher has not invested it wisely.
5. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
(a) The rope ladder.
(b) The witch pie.
(c) A tin plate.
(d) His vittles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
2. How does Huck describe the Spanish moss he sees?
3. Who works out that Jim is confined in the ash hopper?
4. What does Huck see behind the smokehouse in Chapter 35?
5. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What human vice ironically provides the means for Huck and the con men to escape after the Wilks fraud?
2. Who is made a scapegoat in the matter of the spoons and the rats?
3. By what means does Twain resolve the complicated story that is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?
4. Account for the way the townspeople now view Jim as some sort of lunatic in Chapter 41.
5. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
6. What final absurdity does Tom attempt in Chapter 40?
7. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
8. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
9. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
10. Is there any way in which Tom Sawyer's character appears a little unpleasant at this point in the novel (by Chapter 35)?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)