|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had Tom planned to compensate Jim for the problems he caused him?
(a) To have further river adventures and have a brass band procession.
(b) To give him a job scouting in Indian territory.
(c) To organize a concert in his honor.
(d) To buy a house for him, his wife and children.
2. Why is Aunt Sally cross in Chapter 37?
(a) She can't find her apron.
(b) Nobody remembered to chop wood.
(c) The stove has gone out.
(d) She can't find a shirt belonging to Uncle Silas.
3. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
(a) He obtained funds from the Unitarians.
(b) He built it himself.
(c) He had the building floated in from Baton Rouge.
(d) He raised money in the village.
4. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
(a) Innovative, easily led, amoral, gullible.
(b) Practical, slippery, easily led, sly, romantic.
(c) Untrustworthy, attractive, serious, risk-taking, brave.
(d) Imaginative, brave, true to his word, innovative, romantic.
5. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Mending her torn dress.
(d) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
2. What does Huck think is "the lonesomest sound in the whole world"?
3. What kind of enterprise does the Phelps family have?
4. Where was Aunt Sally's apron in Chapter 37?
5. Why is Jim initially confused about getting a coat-of-arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. By what means does Twain resolve the complicated story that is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?
2. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
3. What final absurdity does Tom attempt in Chapter 40?
4. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
5. How does Aunt Sally respond to Huck's information about the way the boys entered and exited via the lightning rod?
6. Comment on Tom's proposed plans to recompense and appease Jim, who has suffered the most from Tom's absurd endeavors.
7. Is there any way in which Tom Sawyer's character appears a little unpleasant at this point in the novel (by Chapter 35)?
8. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
9. Account for the way the townspeople now view Jim as some sort of lunatic in Chapter 41.
10. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)