|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
(a) The boys and Jim had too much of a head start.
(b) The boys fed the dogs a sleeping drug.
(c) The dogs knew the boys and Jim.
(d) The boys and Jim crossed water and put them off the scent.
2. In Chapter 30, what do the King and the Duke accuse each other of doing?
(a) Flirting with Mary Jane.
(b) Trying to drown Huck,
(c) Hiding the money in the coffin.
(d) Trying to escape with the money.
3. What distance has Aunt Polly traveled to check up on Tom?
(a) Eleven hundred miles.
(b) Five hundred miles.
(c) Eleven miles.
(d) Two hundred miles.
4. Which characters are dreadfully blue and desperate in Chapter 31?
(a) Jim and the Duke.
(b) Huck and Mary Jane.
(c) The King and Huck.
(d) The King and the Duke.
5. How soon do the King and the Duke make up their quarrel in Chapter 30?
(a) In an hour.
(b) They don't: they become sworn enemies.
(c) By next morning.
(d) In half an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
2. How many mottoes does Tom devise for Jim's coat-of-arms?
3. Why does Huck dress as a servant girl?
4. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
5. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What techniques does Twain employ Chapter 35 to create humor?
2. What happens to expose the King's lie about his arrival in the town?
3. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
4. What is Jim's final act of kindness towards Huck?
5. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
6. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
7. When responding Chapter 42, what conclusion is it possible to make concerning a romantic view of the world?
8. Comment on Tom's proposed plans to recompense and appease Jim, who has suffered the most from Tom's absurd endeavors.
9. What human vice ironically provides the means for Huck and the con men to escape after the Wilks fraud?
10. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)