|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tom, what is the problem with Jim's captivity?
(a) Difficulties have to be invented.
(b) Difficulties could make it impossible to achieve.
(c) Getting past the other slaves.
(d) Getting across the moat.
2. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
(a) Because he didn't amputate Tom's leg.
(b) For helping to hide Tom from the men and dogs.
(c) For listening to what Jim had to say.
(d) Because he spoke up for Jim.
3. What does Huck see behind the smokehouse in Chapter 35?
(a) Someone snooping.
(b) An old rusty saw.
(c) A case knife.
(d) The Duke.
4. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
(a) He was worried about Joanna and wanted to find her.
(b) He was worried about Jim all alone on the raft.
(c) He needed to get away from the crowds.
(d) He claims he was warned he could be hanged.
5. How do Huck and Tom exit the house in Chapter 36?
(a) Through the front window.
(b) Through the storm cellar.
(c) Out the back door.
(d) Down the lightning rod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King do after his confession?
2. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
3. According to Huck, what delayed his steamer?
4. Why isn't Jim able to sleep in Chapter 39?
5. How had Tom planned to compensate Jim for the problems he caused him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
2. Who is made a scapegoat in the matter of the spoons and the rats?
3. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
4. Account for the way the townspeople now view Jim as some sort of lunatic in Chapter 41.
5. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
6. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
7. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
8. In what way is Huck's and Tom's relationship changing by Chapter 36?
9. What is Jim's final act of kindness towards Huck?
10. What final absurdity does Tom attempt in Chapter 40?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)