|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Aunt Sally's sister?
(a) Miss Watson.
(b) Tom's mother.
(c) Huck's aunt.
(d) Miss Wilks.
2. How does Jim receive his food while in captivity?
(a) On a tin plate.
(b) On a pan.
(c) On a trencher made with fried bread.
(d) On a salver.
3. According to Tom, what is the problem with Jim's captivity?
(a) Difficulties have to be invented.
(b) Getting past the other slaves.
(c) Difficulties could make it impossible to achieve.
(d) Getting across the moat.
4. Why is Silas Phelps scared?
(a) He thinks something dreadful has happened to the boat.
(b) He thinks he has an illness.
(c) He has been to the Nonsuch and doesn't want Sally to find out.
(d) He has received a stern letter from his bank manager.
5. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
(a) He raised money in the village.
(b) He had the building floated in from Baton Rouge.
(c) He obtained funds from the Unitarians.
(d) He built it himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
2. What distance has Aunt Polly traveled to check up on Tom?
3. According to Huck, what delayed his steamer?
4. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
5. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
2. What human vice ironically provides the means for Huck and the con men to escape after the Wilks fraud?
3. In what way is Huck's and Tom's relationship changing by Chapter 36?
4. In what interesting way does the arrival of Tom Sawyer in Chapter 33 develop the narrative?
5. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
6. In what way does his account of the con men's humiliation reinforce that Huck's character is maturing?
7. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
8. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
9. When responding Chapter 42, what conclusion is it possible to make concerning a romantic view of the world?
10. How does Huck intend to deal with the problem of the arrival of the real Tom Sawyer?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)