|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom arrive back at the Phelps farm in Chapter 42?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) On horseback.
(c) Carried on a mattress.
(d) In a cart.
2. How do Huck and Tom exit the house in Chapter 36?
(a) Down the lightning rod.
(b) Through the front window.
(c) Out the back door.
(d) Through the storm cellar.
3. Who keeps hold of Huck's hand in Chapter 29?
(b) The lawyer.
(d) The doctor.
4. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
(a) To see if there is a tattoo on his chest.
(b) To be utterly certain they have buried the right man in the right grave.
(c) To see if there is a tattoo on his knee.
(d) To retrieve the money bag from the coffin.
5. What is Tom's reaction when he hears that there are men with guns after the gang?
(a) He says they have gone too far and are in danger of being killed.
(b) He is very nervous but determined to press on.
(c) He is terrified and questions the wisdom of the enterprize.
(d) He is excited and energized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
2. What 'relict' do the boys procure from the garret in Chapter 37?
3. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
4. What doesn't Tom Sawyer like about Huck's plan for releasing Jim?
5. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
2. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
3. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
4. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
5. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
6. What techniques does Twain employ Chapter 35 to create humor?
7. What happens to expose the King's lie about his arrival in the town?
8. What steps in Huck's journey to maturity are dealt with Chapter 31?
9. When responding Chapter 42, what conclusion is it possible to make concerning a romantic view of the world?
10. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)