|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many mottoes does Tom devise for Jim's coat-of-arms?
2. Who is Aunt Sally's sister?
(a) Miss Watson.
(b) Miss Wilks.
(c) Tom's mother.
(d) Huck's aunt.
3. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
(a) The boys and Jim had too much of a head start.
(b) The boys fed the dogs a sleeping drug.
(c) The dogs knew the boys and Jim.
(d) The boys and Jim crossed water and put them off the scent.
4. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
(b) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(c) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
(d) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
5. What is Tom's reaction when he hears that there are men with guns after the gang?
(a) He is terrified and questions the wisdom of the enterprize.
(b) He says they have gone too far and are in danger of being killed.
(c) He is excited and energized.
(d) He is very nervous but determined to press on.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tom, how long did the Marseilles prisoner take to dig out, and where did he emerge?
2. How did the King obtain the money to get drunk?
3. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
4. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
5. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
2. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
3. How has the situation escalated by Chapter 40?
4. In what way is Huck's and Tom's relationship changing by Chapter 36?
5. What is Jim's final act of kindness towards Huck?
6. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
7. How does Tom overreach himself in his elaborate construction of fantasy in Chapter 39?
8. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
9. In what way does the opening paragraph of Chapter 31 foreshadow following events?
10. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)