|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom arrive back at the Phelps farm in Chapter 42?
(a) On horseback.
(b) In a wheelchair.
(c) Carried on a mattress.
(d) In a cart.
2. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) Through a side window.
(b) Through the back door.
(c) By climbing the lightning rod.
(d) Through the front door
3. What distance has Aunt Polly traveled to check up on Tom?
(a) Two hundred miles.
(b) Eleven hundred miles.
(c) Eleven miles.
(d) Five hundred miles.
4. What are the clues that there is someone in the ash hopper?
(a) There is a lock on the door and someone can be heard wailing.
(b) There's a lock on the door and watermelon is taken in there at suppertime.
(c) People tip-toe by there.
(d) Aunt Sally keeps looking at the place to check.
5. With the case-knives not working, what does Tom then choose for digging tools?
Short Answer Questions
1. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
2. What 'relict' do the boys procure from the garret in Chapter 37?
3. Who keeps hold of Huck's hand in Chapter 29?
4. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
5. Why is Silas Phelps scared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
2. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
3. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
4. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
5. Comment upon the serious layer of meaning in the escapade to free Jim.
6. In what interesting way does the arrival of Tom Sawyer in Chapter 33 develop the narrative?
7. Is there any way in which Tom Sawyer's character appears a little unpleasant at this point in the novel (by Chapter 35)?
8. When responding Chapter 42, what conclusion is it possible to make concerning a romantic view of the world?
9. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
10. What final absurdity does Tom attempt in Chapter 40?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)