|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the King do after his confession?
(a) He goes for a cleansing swim, symbolic of beginning a new life.
(b) He cries.
(c) He retired to the wigwam with a bottle.
(d) He tells jokes till everyone is asleep.
2. Why is Aunt Sally cross in Chapter 37?
(a) She can't find a shirt belonging to Uncle Silas.
(b) Nobody remembered to chop wood.
(c) She can't find her apron.
(d) The stove has gone out.
3. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
(a) To collect his baggage.
(b) To exercise the horse.
(c) To collect money.
(d) To meet another steamboat.
4. According to Tom, how long did the Marseilles prisoner take to dig out, and where did he emerge?
(a) Thirty-seven years to dig in a circle around the prison and arrive where he started.
(b) Thirty-nine years to dig his way to China.
(c) Two hours to dig through to the prison kitchen.
(d) Thirty-seven years to dig his way to China.
5. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
(a) He is scared and confused.
(b) He is confident and makes up a good story, as usual.
(c) He is becoming confused, but tries to stay confident.
(d) He is scared, but keeps level-headed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't Tom Sawyer like about Huck's plan for releasing Jim?
2. Who keeps hold of Huck's hand in Chapter 29?
3. In Chapter 29, how does the King claim he arrived in the town?
4. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
5. Who is the stranger from Hicksville?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
2. By what means does Twain resolve the complicated story that is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?
3. What is ironic about Huck's comment to Tom: "Your head gets leveler and leveler all the time"?
4. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
5. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
6. In what way is Huck's and Tom's relationship changing by Chapter 36?
7. In what way does Huck get more than he's bargained for at the Phelps farm?
8. How do the events of Chapter 37 continue to sustain Twain's satirical purpose?
9. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
10. In what interesting way does the arrival of Tom Sawyer in Chapter 33 develop the narrative?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)