|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 28, where was the auction held?
(a) On the veranda of the general store.
(b) In the public square.
(c) In the church hall.
(d) On the porch of the house.
2. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Pulling floating bread from the river.
(b) Falling over a black cat.
(c) Touching a snake's skin.
(d) Spitting into the wind.
3. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
(a) It is too small to use as a water bottle.
(b) It contains sour milk and would be diffficult to clean.
(c) It is broken.
(d) They think it contains poison.
4. What is one symbol that the fog represents?
(a) The power of the river.
(b) A supernatural presence.
(c) The confusion inside Huck's head.
(d) Journeying into the unknown.
5. How does Huck augment his and Jim's diet of river fish and shot waterfowl?
(a) He finds food scraps outside restaurants.
(b) He steals chickens and raids gardens for things like watermelons.
(c) He buys cornmeal flour in a village.
(d) He steals oranges and grapefruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Huck do with the canoe when he reaches Jackson's Island?
2. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
3. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
4. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
5. In his stories, what does Jim tell people about his five-cent piece?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any rationale for the King confessing to hiding the money in the coffin?
2. Comment upon the serious layer of meaning in the escapade to free Jim.
3. How does Joanna demonstrate that she has intelligence and a healthy skepticism?
4. Why is Huck not overly concerned about the auction of the Wilks property?
5. How does Huck intend to deal with the problem of the arrival of the real Tom Sawyer?
6. How does Huck discover that the local authorities are in pursuit of Jim?
7. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
8. What is ironic about Jim claiming that a snakeskin brings bad luck?
9. How do readers know that Huck feels deeply for Mary Jane?
10. What human vice ironically provides the means for Huck and the con men to escape after the Wilks fraud?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)