Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Huck call "the horriblest looking outrage I ever see"?
(a) Jim begging to be tied up again.
(b) The King and the Duke buying clothes with their swindled money.
(c) Jim dressed up and painted as a sick Arab.
(d) Slaves being beaten by a cruel overseer.
2. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) He dislikes Moses' character.
(b) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(c) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
(d) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
3. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
4. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
(a) Jim turns the tables by putting live coals in Huck's bed.
(b) Huck is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) Jim is bitten by an actual snake.
(d) Jim is so angry that he attacks Huck.
5. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) The mooring rope has been lost.
(b) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(c) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
(d) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Loftus give Huck regarding his 'murder'?
2. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
3. How was Colonel Grangerford attired on Sundays?
4. How does Jim react when he first sees Huck in Chapter 8?
5. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the scoundrels able to gain favor with the Wilks girls and the townsfolk?
2. Comment upon the serious layer of meaning in the escapade to free Jim.
3. Why is Huck not overly concerned about the auction of the Wilks property?
4. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
5. How does Tom overreach himself in his elaborate construction of fantasy in Chapter 39?
6. Comment on the capacity for fantasy possessed by each main character as seen by Chapter 2 in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
7. Comment on the way in which Tom and Huck confuse the slave who is guarding Jim.
8. How does Huck discover that the local authorities are in pursuit of Jim?
9. In what way does his account of the con men's humiliation reinforce that Huck's character is maturing?
10. Comment on Huck's experience of prayer in Chapter 3.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)