|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
(b) The mooring rope has been lost.
(c) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(d) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
2. Who is the servant, Adolphus?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) The Duke.
(c) Huck Finn.
3. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
(a) Hamlet's soliloquy, the death of Macbeth and the death of Juliet.
(b) The Highland fling, the Irish jig and Malvolio's tirade.
(c) The Highland fling, the sailor's hornpipe and Hamlet's soliloquy.
(d) Hamlet's soliloquy, the Highland fling and the sword-dance.
4. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
(a) He has a drink of water.
(b) He pretends to sneeze.
(c) He says there's a mouse under the table.
(d) He pretends to choke on a chicken bone.
5. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A crystal ball.
(b) A chicken's liver.
(c) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
(d) A hairball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pumps Huck for information about England?
2. What is the source of the commotion in the cellar in Chapter 27?
3. How has Jim been attempting to test the authenticity of the King's story?
4. How do they all make good their escape from the villagers in Chapter 23?
5. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Pappy's rejection of Huck's achievements at school be explained?
2. What is ironic about Jim claiming that a snakeskin brings bad luck?
3. What is the special relevance of the catastrophe related in Chapter 18?
4. How does Huck discover that the local authorities are in pursuit of Jim?
5. Comment on the significance of Huck's practical joke upon Jim.
6. Comment on Huck's experience of prayer in Chapter 3.
7. How do Jim and Huck survive as they travel down the river on the raft?
8. What traits does Huck demonstrate in Chapter 7?
9. In what sense does Jim reach his moral nadir when he considers buying his children from their owner?
10. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)