|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Colonel Sherburn stand to protect himself in Chapter 22?
(a) At the front door of his house.
(b) Behind the wood-heap.
(c) Behind his front gate.
(d) On the roof of his front porch.
2. How was Colonel Grangerford attired on Sundays?
(a) In a scarlet smoking jacket and matching silk carpet slippers.
(b) In a blue tailcoat with brass buttons on it.
(c) In his miliraty uniform.
(d) In a suit of dazzling pure white.
3. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A crystal ball.
(b) A chicken's liver.
(c) A hairball.
(d) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
4. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
(a) It is broken.
(b) It contains sour milk and would be diffficult to clean.
(c) They think it contains poison.
(d) It is too small to use as a water bottle.
5. What does Huck do with his money?
(a) He asks Judge Thatcher to invest all the money in pork bellies.
(b) He gives the money to an anti-slavery movement.
(c) He asks Judge Thatcher to give it to the Widow.
(d) He signs the entire amount to Judge Thatcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
2. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
3. What is one symbol that the fog represents?
4. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
5. Who suggests telling Uncle Harvey about Mary Jane and the mumps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the fraud practiced by the self-styled 'duke' and 'king' and the lies told by Huck?
2. How does Huck discover that the local authorities are in pursuit of Jim?
3. Why is Huck not overly concerned about the auction of the Wilks property?
4. How might Pappy's rejection of Huck's achievements at school be explained?
5. How does Twainagain explore the idea of conscience in Chapter 23?
6. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
7. What makes Huck ashamed of his humanity in Chapter 24?
8. Why does Huck consider moving the money from its hiding-place in Peter Wilks' coffin?
9. What traits does Huck demonstrate in Chapter 7?
10. What is the special relevance of the catastrophe related in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)