|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(b) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(c) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(d) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
2. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
3. What first alerts Mrs. Loftus to the fact that 'Sarah/Mary' is a boy?
(a) His fingernails are dirty.
(b) She sees that he has some fuzz on his cheeks and chin.
(c) He doesn't walk daintily in a dress.
(d) Huck does not thread a needle in a feminine way.
4. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
(a) No one seems to know, as it started so long ago.
(b) There was a dispute over land.
(c) There was a dispute over the river landing stage.
(d) There was a romance between a Shepherdson and a Grangerford.
5. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In his canoe.
(c) Under the wood heap.
(d) In Emeline's bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Huck do with the canoe when he reaches Jackson's Island?
2. Who pumps Huck for information about England?
3. Who is the servant, Adolphus?
4. How does Huck augment his and Jim's diet of river fish and shot waterfowl?
5. What happens two days after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Huck's experience of prayer in Chapter 3.
2. What does Chapter 4 show the reader about Huckleberry Finn's character?
3. What important difference between Huck and Jim is suggested during the conversation about King Solomon?
4. How might Pappy's rejection of Huck's achievements at school be explained?
5. What makes Huck ashamed of his humanity in Chapter 24?
6. Comment on the significance of Huck's practical joke upon Jim.
7. In Chapter 13, why does Huck again find it necessary to adopt a disguise?
8. What is Huck's initial attitude towards Jim?
9. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
10. In what way can the character of Pappy be seen purely as social commentary?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)