|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is his father annoyed with Huck in Chapter 5?
(a) Huck is too friendly with Jim.
(b) He doesn't like Huck's airs, nor does he like Huck being educated.
(c) Huck put his money where his father couldn't get it.
(d) Huck is not progressing quickly enough at school.
2. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
(b) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(c) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
(d) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
3. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
(a) To evade Pappy.
(b) To steal a chicken.
(c) To find some berries.
(d) To find Jim.
4. Where does Colonel Sherburn stand to protect himself in Chapter 22?
(a) Behind his front gate.
(b) At the front door of his house.
(c) On the roof of his front porch.
(d) Behind the wood-heap.
5. In Chapter 28, where was the auction held?
(a) In the church hall.
(b) In the public square.
(c) On the veranda of the general store.
(d) On the porch of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
2. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
3. Why is Huck pleased he chose to hide behind the curtain and not under the bed in Chapter 26?
4. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
5. How can a snag in the river be recognized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Huck's initial attitude towards Jim?
2. Why is Huck not overly concerned about the auction of the Wilks property?
3. In what way does the King act opportunistically for his own ends?
4. How does Joanna demonstrate that she has intelligence and a healthy skepticism?
5. What is significant about the murder of Boggs?
6. What is the psychological card Colonel Sherburn plays so successfully during the confrontation?
7. Comment on Huck's experience of prayer in Chapter 3.
8. In what sense does Jim reach his moral nadir when he considers buying his children from their owner?
9. What important difference between Huck and Jim is suggested during the conversation about King Solomon?
10. In Chapter 13, why does Huck again find it necessary to adopt a disguise?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)