|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the alias Huck uses at the Grangerfords?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) George Jameson.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) George Jackson.
2. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In Emeline's bedroom.
(c) Under the wood heap.
(d) In his canoe.
3. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(b) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(c) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(d) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
4. As he chases Huck around the cabin, brandishing a knife, what does Pappy call his son?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(b) A right nasty varmint.
(c) The Devil incarnate.
(d) A freak of nature who belongs in Hell.
5. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King preaches a sermon.
(b) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(c) Huck digs up the coffin.
(d) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what is Jim's attitude to the adventure he and Huck have just experienced?
2. Huck's narrative includes the words: "but I was over the shoal water now." This is an example of what sort of figurative language?
3. How many logs worth selling do Pap and Huck find?
4. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
5. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to expose the King's lie about his arrival in the town?
2. How does Huck feel when he glimpses the King and the Duke rowing fast towards the raft in Chapter 29?
3. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
4. How does Tom overreach himself in his elaborate construction of fantasy in Chapter 39?
5. What techniques does Twain employ Chapter 35 to create humor?
6. By Chapter 38, what is Jim's attitude to the efforts being made on his behalf?
7. Is there any way in which Tom Sawyer's character appears a little unpleasant at this point in the novel (by Chapter 35)?
8. Why is Huck not overly concerned about the auction of the Wilks property?
9. What precautions are taken in the Phelps household after the notes are received?
10. In what sense does Jim reach his moral nadir when he considers buying his children from their owner?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)