|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Huck pleased he chose to hide behind the curtain and not under the bed in Chapter 26?
(a) Because he can actually see what the King and the Duke are up to.
(b) Because the first thing the duke does is to look under the bed.
(c) Because there is a smelly chamber pot under the bed.
(d) Because he enjoys the perfume in Mary Jane's dresses.
2. What has been bringing many people to town in Chapter 21?
(a) A circus.
(b) A traveling freak show.
(c) A performance of opera.
(d) A salesman selling a new embrocation.
3. What is the name of the sunken steamer?
(a) The Walter Stott.
(b) The Walter Scott.
(c) The Miss Charlotte.
(d) The Nellie.
4. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
(a) A large island.
(b) Some rapids.
(c) Huck loses his lantern and Jim can't see him.
(d) A quarrel over food.
5. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
(b) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
(c) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
(d) He has an astute observation of birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the 'good place' to which Miss Watson keeps referring?
2. What convinces the ferry captain to investigate the sinking ship?
3. Who is responsible for tending the door on the night of the special performance in Chapter 23?
4. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
5. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Jim claiming that a snakeskin brings bad luck?
2. What is Huck's initial attitude towards Jim?
3. What traits does Huck demonstrate in Chapter 7?
4. How does Huck discover that the local authorities are in pursuit of Jim?
5. What is the special relevance of the catastrophe related in Chapter 18?
6. How does Twain satirize popular literature in Chapter 17?
7. In Chapter 13, why does Huck again find it necessary to adopt a disguise?
8. What does Chapter 4 show the reader about Huckleberry Finn's character?
9. How does Twainagain explore the idea of conscience in Chapter 23?
10. What important difference between Huck and Jim is suggested during the conversation about King Solomon?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)