|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose idea of the after-life does Huck favor?
(a) Miss Watson's.
(b) His father's.
(c) The widow's.
(d) Tom Sawyer's.
2. According to what Huck tells the King and the Duke, where did his parents come from?
(a) Pike County in Missouri.
(b) Orange County in California.
(c) Carp County in Illinois.
(d) Pike County in Illinois.
3. Who has "no more smile to him than there is to a ham"?
(a) The undertaker.
(d) The King.
4. How do Huck and Jim enter the wrecked ship?
(a) Through the forward skylight.
(b) They climb onto the larboard deck and go down a ladder.
(c) By climbing the paddle-wheel.
(d) Through a hole in the stern.
5. What has been bringing many people to town in Chapter 21?
(a) A performance of opera.
(b) A salesman selling a new embrocation.
(c) A circus.
(d) A traveling freak show.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Huck hide the money in Chapter 27?
2. Why is his father annoyed with Huck in Chapter 5?
3. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
4. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
5. Why does Huck want Mary Jane to leave before breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important difference between Huck and Jim is suggested during the conversation about King Solomon?
2. What is the psychological card Colonel Sherburn plays so successfully during the confrontation?
3. What does Chapter 4 show the reader about Huckleberry Finn's character?
4. How does Joanna demonstrate that she has intelligence and a healthy skepticism?
5. In what way does the King act opportunistically for his own ends?
6. How do Jim and Huck survive as they travel down the river on the raft?
7. What is ironic about Jim claiming that a snakeskin brings bad luck?
8. Comment upon Huck's observation that, in the present situation, "the truth is better, and actuly safer, than a lie."
9. How seriously should readers take the disclaimer "By Order of the Author"?
10. Why does Huck consider moving the money from its hiding-place in Peter Wilks' coffin?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)