|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
(a) His father has probably stolen it.
(b) He's had to pay for damage to the steam-boat that ran over the raft.
(c) Judge Thatcher has not invested it wisely.
(d) He imagines his father has obtained the money from Judge Thatcher and spent it all on drink.
2. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
(a) Imaginative, brave, true to his word, innovative, romantic.
(b) Innovative, easily led, amoral, gullible.
(c) Untrustworthy, attractive, serious, risk-taking, brave.
(d) Practical, slippery, easily led, sly, romantic.
3. Why didn't Huck mind Uncle Silas' long blessing?
(a) The food was so good.
(b) He didn't listen.
(c) He was becoming religious.
(d) He had taken a great liking to Uncle Silas.
4. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
(a) The dinner that has disagreed with him.
(b) Hearing his lie about the Wilks slaves being repeated.
(c) Seeing Jim dressed as an Arab.
(d) Thinking about the lies he's been telling.
5. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
(a) The place where the raft is hidden.
(b) That he is trying to steal Jim out of slavery.
(c) That the King and the Duke are after him.
(d) That he has money hidden away.
6. Who is Aunt Sally's sister?
(a) Miss Watson.
(b) Miss Wilks.
(c) Huck's aunt.
(d) Tom's mother.
7. What does Huck confess to Aunt Sally in Chapter 41?
(a) That he had stolen chickens when traveling on the raft.
(b) That he had played pranks on Jim.
(c) That he had worn her dress.
(d) That he and Tom had escaped via the lightning rod.
8. Who works out that Jim is confined in the ash hopper?
(a) Harney Shepherdson.
(b) Silas Marner.
(c) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Huck Finn.
9. What does the King do after his confession?
(a) He goes for a cleansing swim, symbolic of beginning a new life.
(b) He tells jokes till everyone is asleep.
(c) He retired to the wigwam with a bottle.
(d) He cries.
10. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
(a) He obtained funds from the Unitarians.
(b) He raised money in the village.
(c) He had the building floated in from Baton Rouge.
(d) He built it himself.
11. Why does Huck dress as a servant girl?
(a) So that he won't be noticed as he delivers letters.
(b) Tom persuades him to adopt this disguise to spy out information in the village.
(c) Tom persuades him that the anonymous letters must be delivered by a servant girl.
(d) The clothing won't fit Tom himself.
12. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) He has no pen.
(b) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
(c) He will lose it.
(d) He cannot write.
13. Why is Jim lavishly fussed over by the aunts?
(a) They haven't met a freed slave before.
(b) They don't want him to think badly of them.
(c) They discover how wonderful Jim was in helping the doctor care for Tom.
(d) They want to make up for all Jim's unnecessary tribulations.
14. At what point do Huck and Tom enter Jim's cabin?
(a) At the foot of Jim's bed.
(b) Beside the fireplace.
(c) Under his bed.
(d) In front of the door.
15. What is the slave guard afraid of?
(c) Being deprived of food.
(d) Silas Phelps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sociable activity do Jim and the boys share in Chapter 36?
2. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
3. Where was Aunt Sally's apron in Chapter 37?
4. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
5. How many gun-toting farmers were in the sitting-room in Chapter 40?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)