|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
(a) To see if there is a tattoo on his knee.
(b) To be utterly certain they have buried the right man in the right grave.
(c) To retrieve the money bag from the coffin.
(d) To see if there is a tattoo on his chest.
2. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
(a) Practical, slippery, easily led, sly, romantic.
(b) Untrustworthy, attractive, serious, risk-taking, brave.
(c) Innovative, easily led, amoral, gullible.
(d) Imaginative, brave, true to his word, innovative, romantic.
3. At what point do Huck and Tom enter Jim's cabin?
(a) Under his bed.
(b) At the foot of Jim's bed.
(c) Beside the fireplace.
(d) In front of the door.
4. Why is there no reply to the letters Uncle Silas sends the plantation owners?
(a) The plantation owner has died.
(b) The plantation owner is bad-mannered.
(c) The steamboat carring the mail has been sunk.
(d) The plantation does not exist.
5. What secret does Jim reveal at the end of the book?
(a) That Huck's father was the dead man inside the floating house.
(b) That he is really an African prince and can reward all of them.
(c) That there is more money hidden on the raft.
(d) That Huck's father shot two of the Grangerfords.
6. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
(a) He threatens to leave if he has to put himself in physical danger.
(b) He can unshackle himself at will.
(c) He humors them by going along with the silly, romantic nonsense.
(d) He has told another slave about the escapade.
7. Who is Aunt Sally's sister?
(a) Miss Wilks.
(b) Miss Watson.
(c) Tom's mother.
(d) Huck's aunt.
8. How does the doctor rate Huck as a liar?
(a) Very creative at it.
(b) He is unaware that Huck is telling lies.
9. What does Huck see behind the smokehouse in Chapter 35?
(a) A case knife.
(b) The Duke.
(c) Someone snooping.
(d) An old rusty saw.
10. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
(a) The dinner that has disagreed with him.
(b) Seeing Jim dressed as an Arab.
(c) Hearing his lie about the Wilks slaves being repeated.
(d) Thinking about the lies he's been telling.
11. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
(a) Garter snakes and house snakes.
(b) Rattlesnakes and taipans.
(c) House snakes and swamp moccasins.
(d) Adders and garter snakes.
12. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) By climbing the lightning rod.
(b) Through a side window.
(c) Through the front door
(d) Through the back door.
13. What sociable activity do Jim and the boys share in Chapter 36?
(a) Chewing tobacco and telling stories.
(b) Smoking corncob pipes.
(c) Telling stories.
14. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
(a) He needed to get away from the crowds.
(b) He was worried about Jim all alone on the raft.
(c) He claims he was warned he could be hanged.
(d) He was worried about Joanna and wanted to find her.
15. How does Jim receive his food while in captivity?
(a) On a salver.
(b) On a pan.
(c) On a tin plate.
(d) On a trencher made with fried bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
2. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
3. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
4. What explanation for Tom's absence does Huck give Uncle Silas in Chapter 41?
5. How does Huck describe the Spanish moss he sees?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)