|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(b) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
(c) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
2. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(b) Mending her torn dress.
(c) Baking bread.
(d) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
3. What are the clues that there is someone in the ash hopper?
(a) People tip-toe by there.
(b) There's a lock on the door and watermelon is taken in there at suppertime.
(c) Aunt Sally keeps looking at the place to check.
(d) There is a lock on the door and someone can be heard wailing.
4. Why does Huck dress as a servant girl?
(a) So that he won't be noticed as he delivers letters.
(b) Tom persuades him that the anonymous letters must be delivered by a servant girl.
(c) Tom persuades him to adopt this disguise to spy out information in the village.
(d) The clothing won't fit Tom himself.
5. In Chapter 32, who does Huck say gave him breakfast?
(a) A nearby farmer.
(b) The steamboat Captain.
(c) A lady at the steamboat landing.
(d) A generous passenger on the steamboat.
6. How soon do the King and the Duke make up their quarrel in Chapter 30?
(a) In an hour.
(b) By next morning.
(c) In half an hour.
(d) They don't: they become sworn enemies.
7. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
(a) Because he spoke up for Jim.
(b) Because he didn't amputate Tom's leg.
(c) For listening to what Jim had to say.
(d) For helping to hide Tom from the men and dogs.
8. What is Tom's reaction when he hears that there are men with guns after the gang?
(a) He says they have gone too far and are in danger of being killed.
(b) He is very nervous but determined to press on.
(c) He is terrified and questions the wisdom of the enterprize.
(d) He is excited and energized.
9. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
(a) A shingle nail.
(b) A rat.
(c) A spoon.
(d) Some of his hair.
10. Why can't Tom get back up the lightning rod?
(a) There's danger he might be seen.
(b) His hands are too sore.
(c) Huck broke it.
(d) The lightning rod is cold and slippery.
11. How does the doctor rate Huck as a liar?
(b) Very creative at it.
(d) He is unaware that Huck is telling lies.
12. Who works out that Jim is confined in the ash hopper?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) Harney Shepherdson.
(c) Silas Marner.
(d) Huck Finn.
13. What time is it when the boys become too tired to carry on?
(a) Four in the morning.
(c) Around midnight.
(d) Two in the morning.
14. Why is Jim lavishly fussed over by the aunts?
(a) They haven't met a freed slave before.
(b) They want to make up for all Jim's unnecessary tribulations.
(c) They discover how wonderful Jim was in helping the doctor care for Tom.
(d) They don't want him to think badly of them.
15. How had Tom planned to compensate Jim for the problems he caused him?
(a) To organize a concert in his honor.
(b) To have further river adventures and have a brass band procession.
(c) To give him a job scouting in Indian territory.
(d) To buy a house for him, his wife and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of enterprise does the Phelps family have?
2. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
3. What does Huck think is "the lonesomest sound in the whole world"?
4. Who does Tom say almost spoiled their adventure?
5. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)