|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury has the real William Wilks sustained?
(a) A broken elbow.
(b) A cut to the forehead.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A laceration to his foot.
2. What does Huck think is "the lonesomest sound in the whole world"?
(a) The cry of a whippoorwill.
(b) The lapping of water at midnight.
(c) The hum of a spinning-wheel.
(d) The baying of hounds.
3. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) Through the back door.
(b) Through a side window.
(c) Through the front door
(d) By climbing the lightning rod.
4. What kind of enterprise does the Phelps family have?
(a) A chicken farm.
(b) A hog farm.
(c) They run cattle.
(d) A cotton plantation.
5. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
(a) Hearing his lie about the Wilks slaves being repeated.
(b) The dinner that has disagreed with him.
(c) Seeing Jim dressed as an Arab.
(d) Thinking about the lies he's been telling.
6. What is the slave guard afraid of?
(a) Silas Phelps.
(d) Being deprived of food.
7. Why is Silas Phelps scared?
(a) He has received a stern letter from his bank manager.
(b) He has been to the Nonsuch and doesn't want Sally to find out.
(c) He thinks something dreadful has happened to the boat.
(d) He thinks he has an illness.
8. Which animal does Tom suggest Jim might tame?
(a) A dog.
(b) A large spider.
(c) A rattlesnake.
(d) A rat.
9. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Mending her torn dress.
(d) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
10. What are the clues that there is someone in the ash hopper?
(a) There is a lock on the door and someone can be heard wailing.
(b) There's a lock on the door and watermelon is taken in there at suppertime.
(c) People tip-toe by there.
(d) Aunt Sally keeps looking at the place to check.
11. How does Jim receive his food while in captivity?
(a) On a salver.
(b) On a trencher made with fried bread.
(c) On a tin plate.
(d) On a pan.
12. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
(a) He humors them by going along with the silly, romantic nonsense.
(b) He can unshackle himself at will.
(c) He has told another slave about the escapade.
(d) He threatens to leave if he has to put himself in physical danger.
13. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
(b) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(c) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
(d) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
14. Why didn't Huck mind Uncle Silas' long blessing?
(a) He had taken a great liking to Uncle Silas.
(b) He didn't listen.
(c) He was becoming religious.
(d) The food was so good.
15. What does the Duke threaten to do to the King if he lies again?
(a) To take his whiskey away from him.
(b) To strip him and push him overboard.
(c) To tar and feather him.
(d) To drown him.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
2. In Chapter 35, what does Tom instruct Huck to do?
3. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
4. Where was Aunt Sally's apron in Chapter 37?
5. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)