|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
(a) To meet another steamboat.
(b) To exercise the horse.
(c) To collect money.
(d) To collect his baggage.
2. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
(a) The boys and Jim crossed water and put them off the scent.
(b) The dogs knew the boys and Jim.
(c) The boys fed the dogs a sleeping drug.
(d) The boys and Jim had too much of a head start.
3. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
(a) He is becoming confused, but tries to stay confident.
(b) He is confident and makes up a good story, as usual.
(c) He is scared, but keeps level-headed.
(d) He is scared and confused.
4. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
(a) The witch pie.
(b) The rope ladder.
(c) A tin plate.
(d) His vittles.
5. What sociable activity do Jim and the boys share in Chapter 36?
(a) Smoking corncob pipes.
(c) Telling stories.
(d) Chewing tobacco and telling stories.
6. Where does Huck hide the raft in Chapter 31?
(a) At a woody island in the river.
(b) On the other side of the river.
(c) Under the sawmill's landing-stage.
(d) On Jackson's Island.
7. What does Aunt Sally think is wrong with Huck in Chapter 40?
(a) He has been eating jimson weed.
(b) He has brain fever.
(c) He has sleep deprivation.
(d) He has influenza.
8. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
(a) He imagines his father has obtained the money from Judge Thatcher and spent it all on drink.
(b) He's had to pay for damage to the steam-boat that ran over the raft.
(c) Judge Thatcher has not invested it wisely.
(d) His father has probably stolen it.
9. According to Tom, how long did the Marseilles prisoner take to dig out, and where did he emerge?
(a) Thirty-seven years to dig in a circle around the prison and arrive where he started.
(b) Two hours to dig through to the prison kitchen.
(c) Thirty-nine years to dig his way to China.
(d) Thirty-seven years to dig his way to China.
10. Where is Aunt Sally's calico dress in Chapter 42?
(a) Aunt Sally is wearing it.
(b) One of the slave women is wearing it.
(c) It's being worn by Jim.
(d) In the mending basket.
11. What 'relict' do the boys procure from the garret in Chapter 37?
(a) A silver candlestick.
(b) A strong-box.
(c) An iron pot.
(d) A brass warming pan.
12. Who keeps hold of Huck's hand in Chapter 29?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The lawyer.
13. Why is Jim initially confused about getting a coat-of-arms?
(a) He doesn't believe people should bear arms.
(b) He thinks he might have to pay for it.
(c) He already has one.
(d) He thinks it's clothing.
14. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
(a) Practical, slippery, easily led, sly, romantic.
(b) Imaginative, brave, true to his word, innovative, romantic.
(c) Innovative, easily led, amoral, gullible.
(d) Untrustworthy, attractive, serious, risk-taking, brave.
15. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) He has no pen.
(b) He cannot write.
(c) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
(d) He will lose it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom arrive back at the Phelps farm in Chapter 42?
2. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
3. Why is Aunt Sally cross in Chapter 37?
4. What is the slave guard afraid of?
5. What doesn't Tom Sawyer like about Huck's plan for releasing Jim?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)