|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character leaves the raft to check out Pikesville?
(b) The Duke.
(d) The King.
2. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
(a) The rope ladder.
(b) The witch pie.
(c) A tin plate.
(d) His vittles.
3. Where does Huck hide the raft in Chapter 31?
(a) On the other side of the river.
(b) Under the sawmill's landing-stage.
(c) On Jackson's Island.
(d) At a woody island in the river.
4. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
(a) Because he spoke up for Jim.
(b) For helping to hide Tom from the men and dogs.
(c) For listening to what Jim had to say.
(d) Because he didn't amputate Tom's leg.
5. How many gun-toting farmers were in the sitting-room in Chapter 40?
6. Which characters are dreadfully blue and desperate in Chapter 31?
(a) The King and Huck.
(b) The King and the Duke.
(c) Huck and Mary Jane.
(d) Jim and the Duke.
7. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
(a) There is no rock on which he can trace his coat-of-arms.
(b) It is very cold there at night.
(c) There is nowhere for Huck and Tom to hide should someone come by.
(d) It is easy for others to hear what is going on inside it.
8. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
(b) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
(c) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(d) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
9. In Chapter 30, what do the King and the Duke accuse each other of doing?
(a) Flirting with Mary Jane.
(b) Trying to escape with the money.
(c) Trying to drown Huck,
(d) Hiding the money in the coffin.
10. What explanation for Tom's absence does Huck give Uncle Silas in Chapter 41?
(a) He says Tom has gone fishing.
(b) He says Tom has gone to the blacksmith's to see what is going on.
(c) He says he has gone to the post office to see what is going on.
(d) He says Tom is asleep in a canoe upriver.
11. Who dresses in Aunt Sally's clothes in Chapter 40?
(d) Aunt Sally.
12. What doesn't Tom Sawyer like about Huck's plan for releasing Jim?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) It is too simple.
(c) It is too complicated.
(d) It will result in too much noise.
13. Who is the stranger from Hicksville?
(a) Harvey Wilks.
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(c) Judge Thatcher.
(d) Huckleberry Finn.
14. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
(a) He needed to get away from the crowds.
(b) He claims he was warned he could be hanged.
(c) He was worried about Joanna and wanted to find her.
(d) He was worried about Jim all alone on the raft.
15. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) Through the front door
(b) Through a side window.
(c) Through the back door.
(d) By climbing the lightning rod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the King lay the blame for the missing money?
2. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
3. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
4. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
5. What secret does Jim reveal at the end of the book?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)