|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Aunt Sally's apron in Chapter 37?
(a) She was wearing it.
(b) On the clothes-line.
(c) In a closet.
(d) Hanging on a chair.
2. How do Huck and Tom exit the house in Chapter 36?
(a) Out the back door.
(b) Through the front window.
(c) Down the lightning rod.
(d) Through the storm cellar.
3. What sociable activity do Jim and the boys share in Chapter 36?
(a) Chewing tobacco and telling stories.
(b) Smoking corncob pipes.
(d) Telling stories.
4. What doesn't Tom Sawyer like about Huck's plan for releasing Jim?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) It will result in too much noise.
(c) It is too complicated.
(d) It is too simple.
5. What does Huck think is "the lonesomest sound in the whole world"?
(a) The cry of a whippoorwill.
(b) The hum of a spinning-wheel.
(c) The baying of hounds.
(d) The lapping of water at midnight.
6. In Chapter 32, who does Huck say gave him breakfast?
(a) A nearby farmer.
(b) A generous passenger on the steamboat.
(c) The steamboat Captain.
(d) A lady at the steamboat landing.
7. What secret does Jim reveal at the end of the book?
(a) That he is really an African prince and can reward all of them.
(b) That Huck's father shot two of the Grangerfords.
(c) That there is more money hidden on the raft.
(d) That Huck's father was the dead man inside the floating house.
8. Where does Huck hide the raft in Chapter 31?
(a) On Jackson's Island.
(b) On the other side of the river.
(c) At a woody island in the river.
(d) Under the sawmill's landing-stage.
9. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) He cannot write.
(b) He has no pen.
(c) He will lose it.
(d) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
10. Which characters are dreadfully blue and desperate in Chapter 31?
(a) The King and Huck.
(b) Huck and Mary Jane.
(c) Jim and the Duke.
(d) The King and the Duke.
11. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A shingle nail.
(c) Some of his hair.
(d) A rat.
12. In Chapter 29, how does the King claim he arrived in the town?
(a) On the Susan Powell from Cincinnati.
(b) On the Beagle from New Orleans.
(c) On the Susan Powell from St. Paul.
(d) On the Beagle from Darwin.
13. In Chapter 37, what does Uncle Silas promise to do next day?
(a) Look for his shirt.
(b) Plant more watermelons.
(c) Pray harder.
(d) Stop up the rats' holes.
14. What does the King do after his confession?
(a) He retired to the wigwam with a bottle.
(b) He cries.
(c) He tells jokes till everyone is asleep.
(d) He goes for a cleansing swim, symbolic of beginning a new life.
15. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) Through the front door
(b) Through the back door.
(c) Through a side window.
(d) By climbing the lightning rod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
2. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
3. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
4. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
5. How does the doctor rate Huck as a liar?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)