|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
(a) To meet another steamboat.
(b) To exercise the horse.
(c) To collect his baggage.
(d) To collect money.
2. How does Tom arrive back at the Phelps farm in Chapter 42?
(a) On horseback.
(b) In a cart.
(c) In a wheelchair.
(d) Carried on a mattress.
3. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
(a) The place where the raft is hidden.
(b) That he is trying to steal Jim out of slavery.
(c) That he has money hidden away.
(d) That the King and the Duke are after him.
4. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
(a) He's had to pay for damage to the steam-boat that ran over the raft.
(b) Judge Thatcher has not invested it wisely.
(c) He imagines his father has obtained the money from Judge Thatcher and spent it all on drink.
(d) His father has probably stolen it.
5. How does Huck describe the Spanish moss he sees?
(a) "Like lonely nuns."
(b) "Like long gray beards."
(c) "Like prayer shawls."
(d) "Like long green beards."
6. Where is Aunt Sally's calico dress in Chapter 42?
(a) One of the slave women is wearing it.
(b) In the mending basket.
(c) It's being worn by Jim.
(d) Aunt Sally is wearing it.
7. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(a) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
(d) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
8. What kind of enterprise does the Phelps family have?
(a) A cotton plantation.
(b) A hog farm.
(c) A chicken farm.
(d) They run cattle.
9. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(b) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
(c) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
(d) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
10. How did the King obtain the money to get drunk?
(a) He stole from an old woman.
(b) He had kept some of the Wilks family's money.
(c) He robbed a house.
(d) He sold Jim as a runaway slave.
11. What explanation for Tom's absence does Huck give Uncle Silas in Chapter 41?
(a) He says Tom has gone fishing.
(b) He says Tom has gone to the blacksmith's to see what is going on.
(c) He says he has gone to the post office to see what is going on.
(d) He says Tom is asleep in a canoe upriver.
12. Where does the King lay the blame for the missing money?
(b) Tom Collins.
(c) The undertaker.
(d) The slaves from the Wilks household.
13. Which character leaves the raft to check out Pikesville?
(c) The Duke.
(d) The King.
14. How had Tom planned to compensate Jim for the problems he caused him?
(a) To organize a concert in his honor.
(b) To have further river adventures and have a brass band procession.
(c) To buy a house for him, his wife and children.
(d) To give him a job scouting in Indian territory.
15. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A rat.
(c) Some of his hair.
(d) A shingle nail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jim lavishly fussed over by the aunts?
2. According to Tom, how do prisoners always water their plants?
3. How does Jim receive his food while in captivity?
4. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
5. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)