|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(a) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
(b) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
2. How did the King obtain the money to get drunk?
(a) He had kept some of the Wilks family's money.
(b) He robbed a house.
(c) He stole from an old woman.
(d) He sold Jim as a runaway slave.
3. What is Mrs. Hotchkiss's opinion of Jim?
(a) That he is an interesting character.
(b) That he is crazy.
(c) That he is bad-tempered.
(d) That he is intelligent.
4. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
(a) They find it on the rubbish pile.
(b) They steal it from the village shop.
(c) They buy it in the village.
(d) They find it in the shed.
5. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
(a) At the Phelps farm.
(b) In jail.
(c) On the raft.
(d) At Abram G. Foster's farm.
6. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
(a) For helping to hide Tom from the men and dogs.
(b) Because he didn't amputate Tom's leg.
(c) Because he spoke up for Jim.
(d) For listening to what Jim had to say.
7. In Chapter 29, how does the King claim he arrived in the town?
(a) On the Susan Powell from Cincinnati.
(b) On the Susan Powell from St. Paul.
(c) On the Beagle from Darwin.
(d) On the Beagle from New Orleans.
8. Which character leaves the raft to check out Pikesville?
(a) The King.
(d) The Duke.
9. Why is Aunt Sally cross in Chapter 37?
(a) She can't find her apron.
(b) The stove has gone out.
(c) She can't find a shirt belonging to Uncle Silas.
(d) Nobody remembered to chop wood.
10. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
(a) He is scared and confused.
(b) He is becoming confused, but tries to stay confident.
(c) He is scared, but keeps level-headed.
(d) He is confident and makes up a good story, as usual.
11. What kind of enterprise does the Phelps family have?
(a) A cotton plantation.
(b) A chicken farm.
(c) A hog farm.
(d) They run cattle.
12. What does Huck see behind the smokehouse in Chapter 35?
(a) Someone snooping.
(b) The Duke.
(c) A case knife.
(d) An old rusty saw.
13. What time is it when the boys become too tired to carry on?
(a) Two in the morning.
(b) Four in the morning.
(c) Around midnight.
14. What does Huck think is "the lonesomest sound in the whole world"?
(a) The lapping of water at midnight.
(b) The hum of a spinning-wheel.
(c) The cry of a whippoorwill.
(d) The baying of hounds.
15. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
(a) Because he wants to escape Aunt Sally's plans to adopt and civilize him.
(b) He is the best tracker and woodsman.
(c) He wants to escape from Tom's silly schemes.
(d) He wants to make friends with Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
2. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
3. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
4. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
5. Who works out that Jim is confined in the ash hopper?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)