|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 37, what does Uncle Silas promise to do next day?
(a) Pray harder.
(b) Look for his shirt.
(c) Plant more watermelons.
(d) Stop up the rats' holes.
2. According to Tom, how do prisoners always water their plants?
(a) With cold tea.
(b) With their tears.
(c) With their sweat.
(d) With fresh spring-water.
3. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
(a) The boys fed the dogs a sleeping drug.
(b) The boys and Jim had too much of a head start.
(c) The boys and Jim crossed water and put them off the scent.
(d) The dogs knew the boys and Jim.
4. What injury has the real William Wilks sustained?
(a) A laceration to his foot.
(b) A cut to the forehead.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A broken elbow.
5. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(b) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
(c) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
(d) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
6. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
(a) At the back of the neck of a sleeping slave.
(b) In the fist of a sleeping slave.
(c) Under Aunt Sally's pillow.
(d) Sticking out from the front doormat.
7. Why is there no reply to the letters Uncle Silas sends the plantation owners?
(a) The plantation does not exist.
(b) The plantation owner has died.
(c) The plantation owner is bad-mannered.
(d) The steamboat carring the mail has been sunk.
8. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
(a) To see if there is a tattoo on his knee.
(b) To see if there is a tattoo on his chest.
(c) To be utterly certain they have buried the right man in the right grave.
(d) To retrieve the money bag from the coffin.
9. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(a) Baking bread.
(c) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
(d) Mending her torn dress.
10. In Chapter 35, what does Tom instruct Huck to do?
(a) Steal three knives.
(b) Steal some food.
(c) Steal a knife.
(d) Leave the back door open.
11. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
(a) Practical, slippery, easily led, sly, romantic.
(b) Innovative, easily led, amoral, gullible.
(c) Untrustworthy, attractive, serious, risk-taking, brave.
(d) Imaginative, brave, true to his word, innovative, romantic.
12. What does the Duke threaten to do to the King if he lies again?
(a) To strip him and push him overboard.
(b) To take his whiskey away from him.
(c) To tar and feather him.
(d) To drown him.
13. How soon do the King and the Duke make up their quarrel in Chapter 30?
(a) By next morning.
(b) They don't: they become sworn enemies.
(c) In an hour.
(d) In half an hour.
14. What is Mrs. Hotchkiss's opinion of Jim?
(a) That he is crazy.
(b) That he is an interesting character.
(c) That he is intelligent.
(d) That he is bad-tempered.
15. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) Through the back door.
(b) Through a side window.
(c) Through the front door
(d) By climbing the lightning rod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
2. Where does Huck hide the raft in Chapter 31?
3. In Chapter 32, who does Huck say gave him breakfast?
4. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
5. What does the King do after his confession?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)