|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
(a) Adders and garter snakes.
(b) House snakes and swamp moccasins.
(c) Rattlesnakes and taipans.
(d) Garter snakes and house snakes.
2. How do Huck and Tom exit the house in Chapter 36?
(a) Through the front window.
(b) Down the lightning rod.
(c) Through the storm cellar.
(d) Out the back door.
3. In Chapter 35, what does Tom instruct Huck to do?
(a) Steal a knife.
(b) Steal three knives.
(c) Leave the back door open.
(d) Steal some food.
4. Why can't Tom get back up the lightning rod?
(a) There's danger he might be seen.
(b) His hands are too sore.
(c) Huck broke it.
(d) The lightning rod is cold and slippery.
5. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
(b) He will lose it.
(c) He has no pen.
(d) He cannot write.
6. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
(a) At the back of the neck of a sleeping slave.
(b) Sticking out from the front doormat.
(c) In the fist of a sleeping slave.
(d) Under Aunt Sally's pillow.
7. How does Tom arrive back at the Phelps farm in Chapter 42?
(a) In a cart.
(b) Carried on a mattress.
(c) In a wheelchair.
(d) On horseback.
8. How soon do the King and the Duke make up their quarrel in Chapter 30?
(a) In half an hour.
(b) They don't: they become sworn enemies.
(c) By next morning.
(d) In an hour.
9. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
(a) That he has money hidden away.
(b) That he is trying to steal Jim out of slavery.
(c) That the King and the Duke are after him.
(d) The place where the raft is hidden.
10. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
(a) He built it himself.
(b) He raised money in the village.
(c) He had the building floated in from Baton Rouge.
(d) He obtained funds from the Unitarians.
11. For what reason is Peter Wilks' body to be exhumed?
(a) To see if there is a tattoo on his chest.
(b) To be utterly certain they have buried the right man in the right grave.
(c) To see if there is a tattoo on his knee.
(d) To retrieve the money bag from the coffin.
12. What does Huck confess to Aunt Sally in Chapter 41?
(a) That he had worn her dress.
(b) That he had stolen chickens when traveling on the raft.
(c) That he and Tom had escaped via the lightning rod.
(d) That he had played pranks on Jim.
13. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
(a) They find it on the rubbish pile.
(b) They steal it from the village shop.
(c) They find it in the shed.
(d) They buy it in the village.
14. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(b) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
(d) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
15. Who does Tom say almost spoiled their adventure?
(a) The doctor.
(c) Aunt Sally.
(d) Uncle Silas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the King lay the blame for the missing money?
2. In Chapter 30, what do the King and the Duke accuse each other of doing?
3. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
4. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
5. What kind of enterprise does the Phelps family have?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)