|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(b) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
(c) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
(d) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
2. How does Jim receive his food while in captivity?
(a) On a tin plate.
(b) On a pan.
(c) On a trencher made with fried bread.
(d) On a salver.
3. Why didn't Huck mind Uncle Silas' long blessing?
(a) The food was so good.
(b) He had taken a great liking to Uncle Silas.
(c) He didn't listen.
(d) He was becoming religious.
4. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
(a) He was worried about Jim all alone on the raft.
(b) He needed to get away from the crowds.
(c) He was worried about Joanna and wanted to find her.
(d) He claims he was warned he could be hanged.
5. What is the slave guard afraid of?
(a) Silas Phelps.
(c) Being deprived of food.
6. Who dresses in Aunt Sally's clothes in Chapter 40?
(c) Aunt Sally.
7. Where does the King lay the blame for the missing money?
(a) Tom Collins.
(b) The undertaker.
(d) The slaves from the Wilks household.
8. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
(a) The witch pie.
(b) The rope ladder.
(c) His vittles.
(d) A tin plate.
9. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
(a) In the fist of a sleeping slave.
(b) Sticking out from the front doormat.
(c) At the back of the neck of a sleeping slave.
(d) Under Aunt Sally's pillow.
10. How many gun-toting farmers were in the sitting-room in Chapter 40?
11. Where was Aunt Sally's apron in Chapter 37?
(a) She was wearing it.
(b) Hanging on a chair.
(c) In a closet.
(d) On the clothes-line.
12. What explanation for Tom's absence does Huck give Uncle Silas in Chapter 41?
(a) He says Tom has gone fishing.
(b) He says he has gone to the post office to see what is going on.
(c) He says Tom is asleep in a canoe upriver.
(d) He says Tom has gone to the blacksmith's to see what is going on.
13. Why is Jim lavishly fussed over by the aunts?
(a) They haven't met a freed slave before.
(b) They want to make up for all Jim's unnecessary tribulations.
(c) They don't want him to think badly of them.
(d) They discover how wonderful Jim was in helping the doctor care for Tom.
14. Who works out that Jim is confined in the ash hopper?
(a) Silas Marner.
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Harney Shepherdson.
15. How does Huck describe the Spanish moss he sees?
(a) "Like prayer shawls."
(b) "Like long green beards."
(c) "Like long gray beards."
(d) "Like lonely nuns."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
2. Why is Aunt Sally cross in Chapter 37?
3. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
4. What distance has Aunt Polly traveled to check up on Tom?
5. What does Huck confess to Aunt Sally in Chapter 41?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)