|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Jim reveal at the end of the book?
(a) That Huck's father shot two of the Grangerfords.
(b) That he is really an African prince and can reward all of them.
(c) That there is more money hidden on the raft.
(d) That Huck's father was the dead man inside the floating house.
2. Why is Jim initially confused about getting a coat-of-arms?
(a) He already has one.
(b) He thinks he might have to pay for it.
(c) He thinks it's clothing.
(d) He doesn't believe people should bear arms.
3. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(a) Mending her torn dress.
(c) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
(d) Baking bread.
4. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
(b) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
(c) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(d) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
5. According to Tom, what is the problem with Jim's captivity?
(a) Getting across the moat.
(b) Getting past the other slaves.
(c) Difficulties could make it impossible to achieve.
(d) Difficulties have to be invented.
6. In Chapter 35, what does Tom instruct Huck to do?
(a) Steal a knife.
(b) Steal some food.
(c) Steal three knives.
(d) Leave the back door open.
7. What explanation for Tom's absence does Huck give Uncle Silas in Chapter 41?
(a) He says he has gone to the post office to see what is going on.
(b) He says Tom has gone fishing.
(c) He says Tom is asleep in a canoe upriver.
(d) He says Tom has gone to the blacksmith's to see what is going on.
8. What is the slave guard afraid of?
(a) Being deprived of food.
(b) Silas Phelps.
9. Why didn't Huck mind Uncle Silas' long blessing?
(a) He didn't listen.
(b) The food was so good.
(c) He had taken a great liking to Uncle Silas.
(d) He was becoming religious.
10. Which animal does Tom suggest Jim might tame?
(a) A rat.
(b) A large spider.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rattlesnake.
11. Why isn't Jim able to sleep in Chapter 39?
(a) He is excited about escaping.
(b) He is disturbed by the animals' activity.
(c) Huck and Tom make too much noise.
(d) He is afraid of witches.
12. What does the Duke threaten to do to the King if he lies again?
(a) To drown him.
(b) To take his whiskey away from him.
(c) To tar and feather him.
(d) To strip him and push him overboard.
13. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(b) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
(c) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
(d) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
14. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
(a) They find it on the rubbish pile.
(b) They find it in the shed.
(c) They steal it from the village shop.
(d) They buy it in the village.
15. Who does Tom say almost spoiled their adventure?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Uncle Silas.
(c) Aunt Sally.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Tom planned to compensate Jim for the problems he caused him?
2. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
3. How many gun-toting farmers were in the sitting-room in Chapter 40?
4. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
5. What are the clues that there is someone in the ash hopper?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)