|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tom say almost spoiled their adventure?
(b) The doctor.
(c) Uncle Silas.
(d) Aunt Sally.
2. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
(a) He is scared and confused.
(b) He is becoming confused, but tries to stay confident.
(c) He is scared, but keeps level-headed.
(d) He is confident and makes up a good story, as usual.
3. Why isn't Jim able to sleep in Chapter 39?
(a) He is excited about escaping.
(b) Huck and Tom make too much noise.
(c) He is disturbed by the animals' activity.
(d) He is afraid of witches.
4. How does Huck re-enter the house in Chapter 34?
(a) Through a side window.
(b) Through the front door
(c) By climbing the lightning rod.
(d) Through the back door.
5. Why can't Tom get back up the lightning rod?
(a) His hands are too sore.
(b) There's danger he might be seen.
(c) The lightning rod is cold and slippery.
(d) Huck broke it.
6. The doctor uses the word "singular." In the context, what does this word mean?
7. Why is there no reply to the letters Uncle Silas sends the plantation owners?
(a) The plantation does not exist.
(b) The plantation owner has died.
(c) The steamboat carring the mail has been sunk.
(d) The plantation owner is bad-mannered.
8. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(a) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
(d) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
9. How do Huck and Tom exit the house in Chapter 36?
(a) Through the storm cellar.
(b) Out the back door.
(c) Through the front window.
(d) Down the lightning rod.
10. What sociable activity do Jim and the boys share in Chapter 36?
(a) Chewing tobacco and telling stories.
(b) Telling stories.
(c) Smoking corncob pipes.
11. What 'relict' do the boys procure from the garret in Chapter 37?
(a) A silver candlestick.
(b) A strong-box.
(c) A brass warming pan.
(d) An iron pot.
12. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
(a) On the raft.
(b) In jail.
(c) At Abram G. Foster's farm.
(d) At the Phelps farm.
13. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
(b) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
(c) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(d) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
14. What time is it when the boys become too tired to carry on?
(a) Around midnight.
(b) Two in the morning.
(d) Four in the morning.
15. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
(c) Mending her torn dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dresses in Aunt Sally's clothes in Chapter 40?
2. In Chapter 30, what do the King and the Duke accuse each other of doing?
3. According to Tom, what is the problem with Jim's captivity?
4. Why does Huck think he has no money left?
5. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)