|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
(a) The place where the raft is hidden.
(b) That the King and the Duke are after him.
(c) That he is trying to steal Jim out of slavery.
(d) That he has money hidden away.
2. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
(a) He threatens to leave if he has to put himself in physical danger.
(b) He can unshackle himself at will.
(c) He has told another slave about the escapade.
(d) He humors them by going along with the silly, romantic nonsense.
3. At what point do Huck and Tom enter Jim's cabin?
(a) Beside the fireplace.
(b) At the foot of Jim's bed.
(c) In front of the door.
(d) Under his bed.
4. In what way does Jim think his prophecy of riches has been fulfilled?
(a) He is to receive a regular income stream.
(b) He experienced an epiphany in the prison room and considers that as riches.
(c) He is confirmed as having great friends, and that is riches indeed.
(d) He has received $40 from Tom.
5. Why does Huck say in Chapter 32 that he needs to make a trip to town?
(a) To collect his baggage.
(b) To exercise the horse.
(c) To collect money.
(d) To meet another steamboat.
6. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
(a) Seeing Jim dressed as an Arab.
(b) Hearing his lie about the Wilks slaves being repeated.
(c) Thinking about the lies he's been telling.
(d) The dinner that has disagreed with him.
7. According to Huck, what delayed his steamer?
(a) It had to circle around to pick up a passenger who'd fallen overboard.
(b) It was held up by bad weather.
(c) It blew a cylinder head.
(d) It ran aground.
8. What falls out of Uncle Silas's hat?
(a) A rat.
(b) Some of his hair.
(c) A shingle nail.
(d) A spoon.
9. From the list below, select the set of character traits Tom Sawyer is shown to have, as shown in Chapter 34.
(a) Imaginative, brave, true to his word, innovative, romantic.
(b) Untrustworthy, attractive, serious, risk-taking, brave.
(c) Innovative, easily led, amoral, gullible.
(d) Practical, slippery, easily led, sly, romantic.
10. What does Aunt Sally think is wrong with Huck in Chapter 40?
(a) He has brain fever.
(b) He has sleep deprivation.
(c) He has influenza.
(d) He has been eating jimson weed.
11. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
(b) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
(c) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(d) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
12. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
(a) Under Aunt Sally's pillow.
(b) In the fist of a sleeping slave.
(c) At the back of the neck of a sleeping slave.
(d) Sticking out from the front doormat.
13. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(b) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
(d) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
14. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
(b) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
(c) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(d) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
15. What time is it when the boys become too tired to carry on?
(b) Around midnight.
(c) Two in the morning.
(d) Four in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
2. Why does Huck dress as a servant girl?
3. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
4. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
5. Where does the King lay the blame for the missing money?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)