|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
(a) The boys fed the dogs a sleeping drug.
(b) The boys and Jim had too much of a head start.
(c) The dogs knew the boys and Jim.
(d) The boys and Jim crossed water and put them off the scent.
2. Why is there no reply to the letters Uncle Silas sends the plantation owners?
(a) The plantation owner has died.
(b) The steamboat carring the mail has been sunk.
(c) The plantation does not exist.
(d) The plantation owner is bad-mannered.
3. What does Jim throw out the window in Chapter 37?
(a) The rope ladder.
(b) His vittles.
(c) The witch pie.
(d) A tin plate.
4. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
(a) Garter snakes and house snakes.
(b) House snakes and swamp moccasins.
(c) Adders and garter snakes.
(d) Rattlesnakes and taipans.
5. For Huck, what is the effect of the farmers' visits and Aunt Sally's questions?
(a) He is scared and confused.
(b) He is confident and makes up a good story, as usual.
(c) He is scared, but keeps level-headed.
(d) He is becoming confused, but tries to stay confident.
6. What prevents Jim from being hanged?
(c) Pleas from Huck and Tom.
(d) Financial considerations - they'd have to pay his owner for him.
7. Which character leaves the raft to check out Pikesville?
(a) The Duke.
(b) The King.
8. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) He has no pen.
(b) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
(c) He cannot write.
(d) He will lose it.
9. With the case-knives not working, what does Tom then choose for digging tools?
10. Why is Jim initially confused about getting a coat-of-arms?
(a) He thinks he might have to pay for it.
(b) He thinks it's clothing.
(c) He already has one.
(d) He doesn't believe people should bear arms.
11. In what way does Jim think his prophecy of riches has been fulfilled?
(a) He experienced an epiphany in the prison room and considers that as riches.
(b) He is to receive a regular income stream.
(c) He has received $40 from Tom.
(d) He is confirmed as having great friends, and that is riches indeed.
12. According to Tom, what is the problem with Jim's captivity?
(a) Difficulties have to be invented.
(b) Getting across the moat.
(c) Getting past the other slaves.
(d) Difficulties could make it impossible to achieve.
13. Who built Silas Phelps' church?
(a) He had the building floated in from Baton Rouge.
(b) He raised money in the village.
(c) He built it himself.
(d) He obtained funds from the Unitarians.
14. In Chapter 30, what do the King and the Duke accuse each other of doing?
(a) Trying to escape with the money.
(b) Hiding the money in the coffin.
(c) Flirting with Mary Jane.
(d) Trying to drown Huck,
15. Why does Tom Sawyer say "H'aint ever done you no harm"?
(a) He fears Huck will blackmail him about Jim.
(b) He thinks Huck is about to steal his horse.
(c) He thinks Huck is about to assault him.
(d) He thinks Huck is a ghost come to haunt him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps hold of Huck's hand in Chapter 29?
2. What does Huck see behind the smokehouse in Chapter 35?
3. At what point do Huck and Tom enter Jim's cabin?
4. What injury has the real William Wilks sustained?
5. How had Tom planned to compensate Jim for the problems he caused him?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)