|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the problem with Jim keeping a journal?
(a) He will lose it.
(b) They are too far from the shops to buy one.
(c) He cannot write.
(d) He has no pen.
2. What is Tom's reaction when he hears that there are men with guns after the gang?
(a) He is terrified and questions the wisdom of the enterprize.
(b) He says they have gone too far and are in danger of being killed.
(c) He is excited and energized.
(d) He is very nervous but determined to press on.
3. What secret does Huck share with Tom in Chapter 33?
(a) That he is trying to steal Jim out of slavery.
(b) That he has money hidden away.
(c) The place where the raft is hidden.
(d) That the King and the Duke are after him.
4. Why was it ineffective to set the dogs on the gang in Chapter 40?
(a) The boys fed the dogs a sleeping drug.
(b) The boys and Jim crossed water and put them off the scent.
(c) The boys and Jim had too much of a head start.
(d) The dogs knew the boys and Jim.
5. How does Huck explain Tom's wound to the doctor in Chapter 41?
(a) He claims that Tom slipped and fell and the gun discharged.
(b) He claims a bandit did the deed.
(c) He explains that Tom was cleaning the gun when it discharged.
(d) He says Tom kicked a gun in his sleep, during a dream..
6. Why didn't Huck mind Uncle Silas' long blessing?
(a) He had taken a great liking to Uncle Silas.
(b) He didn't listen.
(c) He was becoming religious.
(d) The food was so good.
7. Where is Aunt Sally's calico dress in Chapter 42?
(a) It's being worn by Jim.
(b) In the mending basket.
(c) Aunt Sally is wearing it.
(d) One of the slave women is wearing it.
8. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
(a) There is nowhere for Huck and Tom to hide should someone come by.
(b) It is easy for others to hear what is going on inside it.
(c) There is no rock on which he can trace his coat-of-arms.
(d) It is very cold there at night.
9. What makes Huck squirm in Chapter 30?
(a) The dinner that has disagreed with him.
(b) Thinking about the lies he's been telling.
(c) Hearing his lie about the Wilks slaves being repeated.
(d) Seeing Jim dressed as an Arab.
10. Which animal does Tom suggest Jim might tame?
(a) A rat.
(b) A large spider.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rattlesnake.
11. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
(a) At the Phelps farm.
(b) At Abram G. Foster's farm.
(c) On the raft.
(d) In jail.
12. Why isn't Jim able to sleep in Chapter 39?
(a) He is disturbed by the animals' activity.
(b) Huck and Tom make too much noise.
(c) He is excited about escaping.
(d) He is afraid of witches.
13. The doctor uses the word "singular." In the context, what does this word mean?
14. With the case-knives not working, what does Tom then choose for digging tools?
15. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
(a) For listening to what Jim had to say.
(b) Because he spoke up for Jim.
(c) For helping to hide Tom from the men and dogs.
(d) Because he didn't amputate Tom's leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the doctor rate Huck as a liar?
2. In Chapter 29, how does the King claim he arrived in the town?
3. Which characters are dreadfully blue and desperate in Chapter 31?
4. What is the slave guard afraid of?
5. What are the clues that there is someone in the ash hopper?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)