|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Huck think is "the lonesomest sound in the whole world"?
(a) The baying of hounds.
(b) The lapping of water at midnight.
(c) The cry of a whippoorwill.
(d) The hum of a spinning-wheel.
2. Where will Huck be able to find Jim?
(a) On the raft.
(b) At the Phelps farm.
(c) In jail.
(d) At Abram G. Foster's farm.
3. Why is Silas Phelps scared?
(a) He thinks he has an illness.
(b) He has received a stern letter from his bank manager.
(c) He has been to the Nonsuch and doesn't want Sally to find out.
(d) He thinks something dreadful has happened to the boat.
4. At what point do Huck and Tom enter Jim's cabin?
(a) At the foot of Jim's bed.
(b) Beside the fireplace.
(c) Under his bed.
(d) In front of the door.
5. Why will Huck be the first to go into Indian territory?
(a) Because he wants to escape Aunt Sally's plans to adopt and civilize him.
(b) He wants to escape from Tom's silly schemes.
(c) He wants to make friends with Indians.
(d) He is the best tracker and woodsman.
6. According to Huck, what delayed his steamer?
(a) It blew a cylinder head.
(b) It had to circle around to pick up a passenger who'd fallen overboard.
(c) It was held up by bad weather.
(d) It ran aground.
7. Why is there no reply to the letters Uncle Silas sends the plantation owners?
(a) The plantation owner is bad-mannered.
(b) The plantation does not exist.
(c) The plantation owner has died.
(d) The steamboat carring the mail has been sunk.
8. What time is it when the boys become too tired to carry on?
(a) Four in the morning.
(b) Around midnight.
(d) Two in the morning.
9. Where do Huck and Tom obtain a wire rat trap?
(a) They steal it from the village shop.
(b) They buy it in the village.
(c) They find it in the shed.
(d) They find it on the rubbish pile.
10. How does Huck describe the Spanish moss he sees?
(a) "Like long gray beards."
(b) "Like long green beards."
(c) "Like lonely nuns."
(d) "Like prayer shawls."
11. Where does Tom leave an anonymous letter?
(a) At the back of the neck of a sleeping slave.
(b) Under Aunt Sally's pillow.
(c) In the fist of a sleeping slave.
(d) Sticking out from the front doormat.
12. Why is Huck "mighty thankful to the old doctor"?
(a) For listening to what Jim had to say.
(b) Because he didn't amputate Tom's leg.
(c) Because he spoke up for Jim.
(d) For helping to hide Tom from the men and dogs.
13. What types of snakes do Huck and Tom catch?
(a) Garter snakes and house snakes.
(b) House snakes and swamp moccasins.
(c) Rattlesnakes and taipans.
(d) Adders and garter snakes.
14. In Chapter 29, how does the King claim he arrived in the town?
(a) On the Beagle from New Orleans.
(b) On the Susan Powell from Cincinnati.
(c) On the Beagle from Darwin.
(d) On the Susan Powell from St. Paul.
15. What is Aunt Sally doing when Huck again escapes down the lightning rod?
(a) Having a loud argument with Uncle Silas.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Mending her torn dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Huck hide the raft in Chapter 31?
2. How many mottoes does Tom devise for Jim's coat-of-arms?
3. What does the King do after his confession?
4. Which character leaves the raft to check out Pikesville?
5. What suggests that Jim is only playing along with the two boys in their outrageous escape plan?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)