Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the alias Huck uses at the Grangerfords?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) George Jameson.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) George Jackson.
2. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In Emeline's bedroom.
(c) Under the wood heap.
(d) In his canoe.
3. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(b) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(c) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(d) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
4. As he chases Huck around the cabin, brandishing a knife, what does Pappy call his son?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(b) A right nasty varmint.
(c) The Devil incarnate.
(d) A freak of nature who belongs in Hell.
5. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King preaches a sermon.
(b) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(c) Huck digs up the coffin.
(d) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
6. In Chapter 13, what is Jim's attitude to the adventure he and Huck have just experienced?
(a) Compliant. He likes Huck to lead, enjoyed the adventure and falls in with Huck's ideas.
(b) Enthusiastic. He can't wait for the next opportunity, though he does have some criticism.
(c) Negative. He didn't enjoy it and doesn't want similar adventures.
(d) Ambivalent. He is uncertain about the moral status of what they have just done.
7. Huck's narrative includes the words: "but I was over the shoal water now." This is an example of what sort of figurative language?
8. How many logs worth selling do Pap and Huck find?
9. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
(a) That he is glad to be away from his family because the children are noisy and disobedient.
(b) That he didn't realize scarlet fever had made his daughter deaf and punished her for not obeying him.
(c) That he is really a descendent of Thomas Jefferson.
(d) That he stole money and jewelry from Miss Watson and has hidden these on Jackson Island.
10. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
(a) To evade Pappy.
(b) To steal a chicken.
(c) To find some berries.
(d) To find Jim.
11. How did Tom and Huck become rich?
(a) They recovered $6,000 in gold.
(b) Tom's father lent him $6,000.
(c) They were given $6,000 for handing over a runaway slave.
(d) Huck's father left him $6,000.
12. Which alias does the Duke adopt for the performance?
(a) An actor called Thoman Kean the incredible.
(b) An actor called David Garrick the Elder.
(c) An actor called Billie Langtry.
(d) An actor called David Garrick the Younger.
13. Why are the streets of the 'one horse town' empty?
(a) Most people have gone to the camp meeting.
(b) It is a ghost town.
(c) The town is under quarantine.
(d) It is siesta time.
14. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
(a) He says there's a mouse under the table.
(b) He has a drink of water.
(c) He pretends to choke on a chicken bone.
(d) He pretends to sneeze.
15. Why is Huck feeling "mean and miserable" in Chapter 15?
(a) He is hungry and cold.
(b) He is troubled by his conscience.
(c) He is lonely.
(d) He knows he has been mean to Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
2. What calamity befalls Huck and Jim at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What illness is supposed to be the problem at the Proctors'?
4. What news does Mrs. Loftus give Huck regarding his 'murder'?
5. Who has "no more smile to him than there is to a ham"?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)