|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
(a) He has wide lips, shaggy hair and very bad breath.
(b) He has a white face, long greasy beard and dark black eyes.
(c) He has a ghostly white face, dribbles through broken teeth and has eyes that once might have been intelligent.
(d) He has a brutal face with a broken nose and a big scar on his left cheek.
2. How does Huck escape from the cabin he has been locked in for three days?
(a) He climbs up the inside of the chimney.
(b) He prizes up the floorboards and escapes that way.
(c) He saws his way out.
(d) He smashes a window and climbs out.
3. What convinces the ferry captain to investigate the sinking ship?
(a) Huck's harrowing story of women and children in peril..
(b) The possibility of valuable salvage.
(c) The opportunity for glory in catching murderers.
(d) Huck's story of a good financial reward.
4. What is the alias Huck uses at the Grangerfords?
(a) George Jameson.
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) George Jackson.
5. What does Huck do with his money?
(a) He asks Judge Thatcher to give it to the Widow.
(b) He asks Judge Thatcher to invest all the money in pork bellies.
(c) He gives the money to an anti-slavery movement.
(d) He signs the entire amount to Judge Thatcher.
6. What has been bringing many people to town in Chapter 21?
(a) A traveling freak show.
(b) A salesman selling a new embrocation.
(c) A circus.
(d) A performance of opera.
7. Why is Huck feeling "mean and miserable" in Chapter 15?
(a) He is troubled by his conscience.
(b) He is hungry and cold.
(c) He is lonely.
(d) He knows he has been mean to Jim.
8. Where had the Grangerfords' beautiful oil cloth table cover come from?
(c) New York.
9. In his stories, what does Jim tell people about his five-cent piece?
(a) He stole it from the Devil.
(b) Miss Watson gave it to him.
(c) He found it under a tree.
(d) The Devil gave it to him.
10. How has Jim been attempting to test the authenticity of the King's story?
(a) By trying to get him to speak French.
(b) By asking him about his sea voyage to America.
(c) By asking him about Marie Antionette.
(d) By inspecting him for a regal birthmark.
11. Why does Huck want Mary Jane to leave before breakfast?
(a) He knows the expression on her face will show the King and the Duke that she is onto them.
(b) He knows there is better food at the Lothrop place.
(c) He is afraid Mary Jane will confront the King and slap his face.
(d) She'll be able to arrive at the Lothrops' place before the heat of the day.
12. What illness is supposed to be the problem at the Proctors'?
(c) Scarlet fever.
13. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(b) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(c) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
(d) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
14. Who pumps Huck for information about England?
(b) Mary Jane.
(c) The King.
15. How does Huck augment his and Jim's diet of river fish and shot waterfowl?
(a) He buys cornmeal flour in a village.
(b) He finds food scraps outside restaurants.
(c) He steals chickens and raids gardens for things like watermelons.
(d) He steals oranges and grapefruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can a snag in the river be recognized?
2. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
3. What is one symbol that the fog represents?
4. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
5. How many logs worth selling do Pap and Huck find?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)