|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Huck do with his money?
(a) He asks Judge Thatcher to give it to the Widow.
(b) He signs the entire amount to Judge Thatcher.
(c) He asks Judge Thatcher to invest all the money in pork bellies.
(d) He gives the money to an anti-slavery movement.
2. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
(b) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(c) The King preaches a sermon.
(d) Huck digs up the coffin.
3. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He has an astute observation of birds.
(b) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
(c) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
(d) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
4. Who is responsible for tending the door on the night of the special performance in Chapter 23?
(b) The King.
(c) The Duke.
5. How was Colonel Grangerford attired on Sundays?
(a) In a scarlet smoking jacket and matching silk carpet slippers.
(b) In his miliraty uniform.
(c) In a suit of dazzling pure white.
(d) In a blue tailcoat with brass buttons on it.
6. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
(b) A crystal ball.
(c) A hairball.
(d) A chicken's liver.
7. What is the source of the commotion in the cellar in Chapter 27?
(a) A drunken mourner has raided a wine barrell.
(b) A dog has baled up a runaway slave.
(c) A dog that has found a rat.
(d) The King and the Duke fighting over the money.
8. What convinces the ferry captain to investigate the sinking ship?
(a) The possibility of valuable salvage.
(b) Huck's story of a good financial reward.
(c) The opportunity for glory in catching murderers.
(d) Huck's harrowing story of women and children in peril..
9. What is the name of the sunken steamer?
(a) The Miss Charlotte.
(b) The Walter Stott.
(c) The Nellie.
(d) The Walter Scott.
10. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
(a) He pretends to sneeze.
(b) He has a drink of water.
(c) He says there's a mouse under the table.
(d) He pretends to choke on a chicken bone.
11. Which alias does the Duke adopt for the performance?
(a) An actor called Thoman Kean the incredible.
(b) An actor called David Garrick the Younger.
(c) An actor called David Garrick the Elder.
(d) An actor called Billie Langtry.
12. How can a snag in the river be recognized?
(a) By the height of the waves.
(b) By a swirl and ripple in the water.
(c) By the way it sticks out of the water.
(d) Through the appearance of a streak in the water.
13. What is Huck's reaction to the widow's prayer?
(a) He takes it seriously and goes off to the forest to think about it
(b) He ridicules prayer because he can't see how it helps people.
(c) He takes it seriously and vows to attend church.
(d) He decides to test prayer by praying for impossible things.
14. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
(a) Jim is bitten by an actual snake.
(b) Jim is so angry that he attacks Huck.
(c) Huck is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) Jim turns the tables by putting live coals in Huck's bed.
15. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In Emeline's bedroom.
(c) In his canoe.
(d) Under the wood heap.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Huck and Jim enter the wrecked ship?
2. What calamity befalls Huck and Jim at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What doesn't the Duke like about the King's portrayal of Juliet?
4. How does Huck escape from the cabin he has been locked in for three days?
5. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)