|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
(a) That he is really a descendent of Thomas Jefferson.
(b) That he didn't realize scarlet fever had made his daughter deaf and punished her for not obeying him.
(c) That he stole money and jewelry from Miss Watson and has hidden these on Jackson Island.
(d) That he is glad to be away from his family because the children are noisy and disobedient.
2. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
3. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
4. How has Jim been attempting to test the authenticity of the King's story?
(a) By asking him about his sea voyage to America.
(b) By inspecting him for a regal birthmark.
(c) By asking him about Marie Antionette.
(d) By trying to get him to speak French.
5. What calamity befalls Huck and Jim at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) The raft is destroyed in a collision with a large steamboat.
(b) The canoe is stolen.
(c) The raft is destroyed as they ride over some rapids.
(d) The raft drifts off by itself and is lost.
6. Who has "no more smile to him than there is to a ham"?
(c) The King.
(d) The undertaker.
7. How was Colonel Grangerford attired on Sundays?
(a) In a scarlet smoking jacket and matching silk carpet slippers.
(b) In a suit of dazzling pure white.
(c) In his miliraty uniform.
(d) In a blue tailcoat with brass buttons on it.
8. What illness is supposed to be the problem at the Proctors'?
(d) Scarlet fever.
9. Why are the streets of the 'one horse town' empty?
(a) The town is under quarantine.
(b) It is a ghost town.
(c) It is siesta time.
(d) Most people have gone to the camp meeting.
10. How does Huck augment his and Jim's diet of river fish and shot waterfowl?
(a) He finds food scraps outside restaurants.
(b) He steals oranges and grapefruit.
(c) He steals chickens and raids gardens for things like watermelons.
(d) He buys cornmeal flour in a village.
11. Which people did Huck and Tom intend to ambush?
(c) Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.
12. How do Huck and Jim first conceal themselves on the Illinois shore?
(a) They dig a shelter on the riverbank.
(b) They hide in a cottonwood thicket.
(c) They stay on the raft that they have covered with branches.
(d) They hide in a ditch.
13. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
(a) They run out of money.
(b) His father threatens him with a shotgun.
(c) His father beats him frequently.
(d) They never catch any fish.
14. Whose idea of the after-life does Huck favor?
(a) Tom Sawyer's.
(b) The widow's.
(c) His father's.
(d) Miss Watson's.
15. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
(a) It contains sour milk and would be diffficult to clean.
(b) It is broken.
(c) They think it contains poison.
(d) It is too small to use as a water bottle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the tracks Huck finds in the snow?
2. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
3. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
4. Why is Huck pleased he chose to hide behind the curtain and not under the bed in Chapter 26?
5. What does Huck do with his money?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)