|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
(a) The line breaks.
(b) The fish is too enormous for them to handle.
(c) The hook comes adrift.
(d) The fish pulls Jim into the water and he has to be rescued.
2. How many logs worth selling do Pap and Huck find?
3. What is the 'good place' to which Miss Watson keeps referring?
(a) The cemetery.
(c) Baton Rouge.
4. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
(a) He has a white face, long greasy beard and dark black eyes.
(b) He has wide lips, shaggy hair and very bad breath.
(c) He has a brutal face with a broken nose and a big scar on his left cheek.
(d) He has a ghostly white face, dribbles through broken teeth and has eyes that once might have been intelligent.
5. Who is responsible for tending the door on the night of the special performance in Chapter 23?
(b) The King.
(c) The Duke.
6. What does Jim confide to Huck in Chapter 23?
(a) That he didn't realize scarlet fever had made his daughter deaf and punished her for not obeying him.
(b) That he is really a descendent of Thomas Jefferson.
(c) That he stole money and jewelry from Miss Watson and has hidden these on Jackson Island.
(d) That he is glad to be away from his family because the children are noisy and disobedient.
7. Why is Huck feeling "mean and miserable" in Chapter 15?
(a) He is hungry and cold.
(b) He is lonely.
(c) He knows he has been mean to Jim.
(d) He is troubled by his conscience.
8. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
9. How do they all make good their escape from the villagers in Chapter 23?
(a) They lock the villagers in the hall and run for the raft.
(b) They sneak back to the raft and set off down the river.
(c) They steel horses and ride out of town.
(d) They run off to the woods and creep to the raft later.
10. Who says: "It's lovely to live on a raft"?
(a) The Duke.
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Huck Finn.
11. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
(b) He has an astute observation of birds.
(c) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
(d) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
12. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
(a) Jim turns the tables by putting live coals in Huck's bed.
(b) Jim is bitten by an actual snake.
(c) Huck is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) Jim is so angry that he attacks Huck.
13. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King preaches a sermon.
(b) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
(c) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(d) Huck digs up the coffin.
14. Where does Huck hide the money in Chapter 27?
(a) On the raft.
(b) In Peter's coffin.
(c) In Joanna's room.
(d) Under Peter's bed.
15. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the King questions him in Chapter 27, what lie does Huck tell?
2. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
3. What are yallarboys?
4. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
5. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)