|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
(a) There was a dispute over land.
(b) No one seems to know, as it started so long ago.
(c) There was a romance between a Shepherdson and a Grangerford.
(d) There was a dispute over the river landing stage.
2. Who suggests telling Uncle Harvey about Mary Jane and the mumps?
(d) The Duke.
3. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(b) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
(c) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
(d) He dislikes Moses' character.
4. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
(b) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
(c) He has an astute observation of birds.
(d) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
5. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
(a) Inside a hollow log in a clearing.
(b) In a hole dug under a marked tree.
(c) In bundles secured to treetops.
(d) In a cavern.
6. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
(a) Hamlet's soliloquy, the death of Macbeth and the death of Juliet.
(b) Hamlet's soliloquy, the Highland fling and the sword-dance.
(c) The Highland fling, the Irish jig and Malvolio's tirade.
(d) The Highland fling, the sailor's hornpipe and Hamlet's soliloquy.
7. How has Jim been attempting to test the authenticity of the King's story?
(a) By asking him about Marie Antionette.
(b) By trying to get him to speak French.
(c) By inspecting him for a regal birthmark.
(d) By asking him about his sea voyage to America.
8. What is the alias Huck uses at the Grangerfords?
(a) George Jameson.
(b) George Jackson.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Tom Sawyer.
9. What does Huck call "the horriblest looking outrage I ever see"?
(a) Jim dressed up and painted as a sick Arab.
(b) Jim begging to be tied up again.
(c) The King and the Duke buying clothes with their swindled money.
(d) Slaves being beaten by a cruel overseer.
10. Why are loaves of bread floating down the river?
(a) A bread cart has fallen off a bridge.
(b) An angry chef has thrown loaves of bread from a river steamer.
(c) People believe bread thrown in the water will prevent more drownings.
(d) People believe bread dabbed with quicksilver will float to a corpse.
11. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
12. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
(a) The hook comes adrift.
(b) The fish is too enormous for them to handle.
(c) The line breaks.
(d) The fish pulls Jim into the water and he has to be rescued.
13. What illness is supposed to be the problem at the Proctors'?
(a) Scarlet fever.
14. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
(a) They never catch any fish.
(b) His father beats him frequently.
(c) His father threatens him with a shotgun.
(d) They run out of money.
15. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Huck do with his money?
2. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
3. Why is Huck feeling "mean and miserable" in Chapter 15?
4. How did Tom and Huck become rich?
5. What is one symbol that the fog represents?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)