|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what is Jim's attitude to the adventure he and Huck have just experienced?
(a) Enthusiastic. He can't wait for the next opportunity, though he does have some criticism.
(b) Compliant. He likes Huck to lead, enjoyed the adventure and falls in with Huck's ideas.
(c) Negative. He didn't enjoy it and doesn't want similar adventures.
(d) Ambivalent. He is uncertain about the moral status of what they have just done.
2. What first alerts Mrs. Loftus to the fact that 'Sarah/Mary' is a boy?
(a) Huck does not thread a needle in a feminine way.
(b) His fingernails are dirty.
(c) He doesn't walk daintily in a dress.
(d) She sees that he has some fuzz on his cheeks and chin.
3. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
(a) A negligent attitude to their church-going.
(b) Racial prejudice.
(c) Poor dress standards.
4. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
(a) No one seems to know, as it started so long ago.
(b) There was a dispute over land.
(c) There was a romance between a Shepherdson and a Grangerford.
(d) There was a dispute over the river landing stage.
5. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
(a) Inside a hollow log in a clearing.
(b) In a hole dug under a marked tree.
(c) In a cavern.
(d) In bundles secured to treetops.
6. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
(b) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
(c) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(d) He dislikes Moses' character.
7. What is the alias Huck uses at the Grangerfords?
(a) George Jackson.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Tom Sawyer.
(d) George Jameson.
8. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
(a) It is broken.
(b) They think it contains poison.
(c) It is too small to use as a water bottle.
(d) It contains sour milk and would be diffficult to clean.
9. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
(b) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(c) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
(d) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
10. Why are loaves of bread floating down the river?
(a) People believe bread thrown in the water will prevent more drownings.
(b) An angry chef has thrown loaves of bread from a river steamer.
(c) A bread cart has fallen off a bridge.
(d) People believe bread dabbed with quicksilver will float to a corpse.
11. What is Huck's reaction to the widow's prayer?
(a) He takes it seriously and vows to attend church.
(b) He ridicules prayer because he can't see how it helps people.
(c) He decides to test prayer by praying for impossible things.
(d) He takes it seriously and goes off to the forest to think about it
12. Why is Huck pleased he chose to hide behind the curtain and not under the bed in Chapter 26?
(a) Because there is a smelly chamber pot under the bed.
(b) Because the first thing the duke does is to look under the bed.
(c) Because he enjoys the perfume in Mary Jane's dresses.
(d) Because he can actually see what the King and the Duke are up to.
13. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Falling over a black cat.
(b) Spitting into the wind.
(c) Touching a snake's skin.
(d) Pulling floating bread from the river.
14. Where does Huck hide the money in Chapter 27?
(a) In Peter's coffin.
(b) Under Peter's bed.
(c) In Joanna's room.
(d) On the raft.
15. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
(b) No one.
(c) Harney Shepherson.
(d) Guests from New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which people did Huck and Tom intend to ambush?
2. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
3. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
4. What does Huck do with the canoe when he reaches Jackson's Island?
5. Why do the murderers defer leaving in the skiff?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)