|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
(a) To evade Pappy.
(b) To find Jim.
(c) To steal a chicken.
(d) To find some berries.
2. Who has "no more smile to him than there is to a ham"?
(a) The King.
(c) The undertaker.
3. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
(b) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(c) The mooring rope has been lost.
(d) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
4. How did Tom and Huck become rich?
(a) Tom's father lent him $6,000.
(b) They recovered $6,000 in gold.
(c) Huck's father left him $6,000.
(d) They were given $6,000 for handing over a runaway slave.
5. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
6. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
(a) There was a romance between a Shepherdson and a Grangerford.
(b) There was a dispute over the river landing stage.
(c) There was a dispute over land.
(d) No one seems to know, as it started so long ago.
7. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(b) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
(c) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(d) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
8. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
(b) Guests from New Orleans.
(c) Harney Shepherson.
(d) No one.
9. In his stories, what does Jim tell people about his five-cent piece?
(a) The Devil gave it to him.
(b) He found it under a tree.
(c) Miss Watson gave it to him.
(d) He stole it from the Devil.
10. In contrast to the expressions of grief acted by the King and the Duke, what does Huck view as a good thing?
11. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
(a) Racial prejudice.
(b) Poor dress standards.
(d) A negligent attitude to their church-going.
12. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) He dislikes Moses' character.
(b) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(c) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
(d) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
13. Where had the Grangerfords' beautiful oil cloth table cover come from?
(c) New York.
14. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
(a) In Emeline's bedroom.
(b) Under the wood heap.
(c) In a tree.
(d) In his canoe.
15. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
(a) The hook comes adrift.
(b) The fish pulls Jim into the water and he has to be rescued.
(c) The fish is too enormous for them to handle.
(d) The line breaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Huck do with his money?
2. What news does Mrs. Loftus give Huck regarding his 'murder'?
3. Why are the streets of the 'one horse town' empty?
4. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
5. In Chapter 13, what is Jim's attitude to the adventure he and Huck have just experienced?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)