|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
2. How do Huck and Jim first conceal themselves on the Illinois shore?
(a) They hide in a cottonwood thicket.
(b) They hide in a ditch.
(c) They stay on the raft that they have covered with branches.
(d) They dig a shelter on the riverbank.
3. Who is the other person Huck tells Mary Jane in Chapter 28 would be in big trouble?
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Harney Shepherdson.
4. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
(a) Guests from New Orleans.
(b) No one.
(d) Harney Shepherson.
5. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
(b) Racial prejudice.
(c) A negligent attitude to their church-going.
(d) Poor dress standards.
6. How do Huck and Jim enter the wrecked ship?
(a) Through a hole in the stern.
(b) By climbing the paddle-wheel.
(c) Through the forward skylight.
(d) They climb onto the larboard deck and go down a ladder.
7. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
(b) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
(c) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(d) The mooring rope has been lost.
8. What does Huck do with the canoe when he reaches Jackson's Island?
(a) He lets it drift down the river.
(b) He scuttles it.
(c) He conceals it under willow branches.
(d) He hauls it way up the bank and hides it in some woods.
9. What first alerts Mrs. Loftus to the fact that 'Sarah/Mary' is a boy?
(a) She sees that he has some fuzz on his cheeks and chin.
(b) His fingernails are dirty.
(c) Huck does not thread a needle in a feminine way.
(d) He doesn't walk daintily in a dress.
10. What doesn't the Duke like about the King's portrayal of Juliet?
(a) His voice is too soft to be heard.
(b) He is becoming too emotional in the role.
(c) He is bellowing when he should be speaking softly.
(d) The fact that he has a beard.
11. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
(b) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
(c) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(d) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
12. Why is Huck pleased he chose to hide behind the curtain and not under the bed in Chapter 26?
(a) Because he can actually see what the King and the Duke are up to.
(b) Because he enjoys the perfume in Mary Jane's dresses.
(c) Because there is a smelly chamber pot under the bed.
(d) Because the first thing the duke does is to look under the bed.
13. What news does Mrs. Loftus give Huck regarding his 'murder'?
(a) Judge Thatcher is a suspect.
(b) Pappy has accused Jim.
(c) Miss Watson is engaged to be married.
(d) Jim is a suspect.
14. What is unusual about the tracks Huck finds in the snow?
(a) There is a cross in the left boot heel.
(b) There is a cross in the right boot heel.
(c) The footprints are unusually large and heavy.
(d) There are additional marks made by a spur.
15. Where does Huck go to cook his supper in Chapter 8?
(a) Deep into the woods.
(b) On the beach facing the Illinois bank.
(c) The Illinois bank of the river.
(d) Close to where he has hidden the canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
2. How does Jim react when he first sees Huck in Chapter 8?
3. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
4. What explanation does 'Sarah/Mary' Williams give for her journey?
5. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)