|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't the Duke like about the King's portrayal of Juliet?
(a) His voice is too soft to be heard.
(b) He is becoming too emotional in the role.
(c) The fact that he has a beard.
(d) He is bellowing when he should be speaking softly.
2. In Chapter 13, what is Jim's attitude to the adventure he and Huck have just experienced?
(a) Negative. He didn't enjoy it and doesn't want similar adventures.
(b) Compliant. He likes Huck to lead, enjoyed the adventure and falls in with Huck's ideas.
(c) Enthusiastic. He can't wait for the next opportunity, though he does have some criticism.
(d) Ambivalent. He is uncertain about the moral status of what they have just done.
3. When the King questions him in Chapter 27, what lie does Huck tell?
(a) He claims that the undertaken sneaked into the King's room just before the funeral.
(b) He claims that 'the niggers were in the King's room'.
(c) He claims to have seen Jim and Mary Jane talking to a strange man in a yellow coat.
(d) He claims that Joanna and Susan were in the King's room.
4. What is one symbol that the fog represents?
(a) A supernatural presence.
(b) The confusion inside Huck's head.
(c) The power of the river.
(d) Journeying into the unknown.
5. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(b) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
(c) He dislikes Moses' character.
(d) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
6. Where does Huck hide the money in Chapter 27?
(a) Under Peter's bed.
(b) On the raft.
(c) In Joanna's room.
(d) In Peter's coffin.
7. Why are loaves of bread floating down the river?
(a) An angry chef has thrown loaves of bread from a river steamer.
(b) A bread cart has fallen off a bridge.
(c) People believe bread dabbed with quicksilver will float to a corpse.
(d) People believe bread thrown in the water will prevent more drownings.
8. What is the 'good place' to which Miss Watson keeps referring?
(a) Baton Rouge.
(d) The cemetery.
9. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
(a) Jim is so angry that he attacks Huck.
(b) Jim turns the tables by putting live coals in Huck's bed.
(c) Jim is bitten by an actual snake.
(d) Huck is bitten by a rattlesnake.
10. Who has "no more smile to him than there is to a ham"?
(a) The undertaker.
(c) The King.
11. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(b) The King preaches a sermon.
(c) Huck digs up the coffin.
(d) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
12. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
13. What has been bringing many people to town in Chapter 21?
(a) A salesman selling a new embrocation.
(b) A circus.
(c) A traveling freak show.
(d) A performance of opera.
14. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A chicken's liver.
(b) A hairball.
(c) A crystal ball.
(d) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
15. How do they all make good their escape from the villagers in Chapter 23?
(a) They sneak back to the raft and set off down the river.
(b) They lock the villagers in the hall and run for the raft.
(c) They steel horses and ride out of town.
(d) They run off to the woods and creep to the raft later.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the other person Huck tells Mary Jane in Chapter 28 would be in big trouble?
2. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
3. How did Tom and Huck become rich?
4. What forms the basis of the humorous conversation in Chapter 14?
5. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)