|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(b) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(c) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
(d) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
2. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
3. Why is his father annoyed with Huck in Chapter 5?
(a) He doesn't like Huck's airs, nor does he like Huck being educated.
(b) Huck put his money where his father couldn't get it.
(c) Huck is not progressing quickly enough at school.
(d) Huck is too friendly with Jim.
4. Which people did Huck and Tom intend to ambush?
(b) Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.
5. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(b) Huck digs up the coffin.
(c) The King preaches a sermon.
(d) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
6. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Spitting into the wind.
(b) Falling over a black cat.
(c) Pulling floating bread from the river.
(d) Touching a snake's skin.
7. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
8. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
(a) Racial prejudice.
(c) Poor dress standards.
(d) A negligent attitude to their church-going.
9. What doesn't the Duke like about the King's portrayal of Juliet?
(a) His voice is too soft to be heard.
(b) The fact that he has a beard.
(c) He is becoming too emotional in the role.
(d) He is bellowing when he should be speaking softly.
10. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(b) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
(c) The mooring rope has been lost.
(d) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
11. In Chapter 28, where was the auction held?
(a) In the church hall.
(b) In the public square.
(c) On the veranda of the general store.
(d) On the porch of the house.
12. How has Jim been attempting to test the authenticity of the King's story?
(a) By trying to get him to speak French.
(b) By asking him about his sea voyage to America.
(c) By asking him about Marie Antionette.
(d) By inspecting him for a regal birthmark.
13. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
14. How many logs worth selling do Pap and Huck find?
15. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
(a) His father threatens him with a shotgun.
(b) They never catch any fish.
(c) They run out of money.
(d) His father beats him frequently.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Huck go to cook his supper in Chapter 8?
2. Who pumps Huck for information about England?
3. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
4. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
5. How does Huck escape from the cabin he has been locked in for three days?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)