|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
(a) He has wide lips, shaggy hair and very bad breath.
(b) He has a ghostly white face, dribbles through broken teeth and has eyes that once might have been intelligent.
(c) He has a brutal face with a broken nose and a big scar on his left cheek.
(d) He has a white face, long greasy beard and dark black eyes.
2. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
3. In contrast to the expressions of grief acted by the King and the Duke, what does Huck view as a good thing?
4. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
(a) The hook comes adrift.
(b) The fish is too enormous for them to handle.
(c) The fish pulls Jim into the water and he has to be rescued.
(d) The line breaks.
5. Why isn't Lawyer Bell present in Chapter 25?
(a) He is on business in Louisville.
(b) He is out hunting.
(c) He is on holiday in New Orleans.
(d) He is dead.
6. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
7. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
(b) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(c) The mooring rope has been lost.
(d) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
8. Why are loaves of bread floating down the river?
(a) A bread cart has fallen off a bridge.
(b) People believe bread thrown in the water will prevent more drownings.
(c) An angry chef has thrown loaves of bread from a river steamer.
(d) People believe bread dabbed with quicksilver will float to a corpse.
9. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(b) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(c) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(d) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
10. What does Huck call "the horriblest looking outrage I ever see"?
(a) The King and the Duke buying clothes with their swindled money.
(b) Slaves being beaten by a cruel overseer.
(c) Jim begging to be tied up again.
(d) Jim dressed up and painted as a sick Arab.
11. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) He dislikes Moses' character.
(b) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(c) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
(d) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
12. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
13. Who pumps Huck for information about England?
(c) The King.
(d) Mary Jane.
14. How did Tom and Huck become rich?
(a) Tom's father lent him $6,000.
(b) They were given $6,000 for handing over a runaway slave.
(c) They recovered $6,000 in gold.
(d) Huck's father left him $6,000.
15. Who says: "It's lovely to live on a raft"?
(a) The Duke.
(c) Huck Finn.
(d) Tom Sawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the other person Huck tells Mary Jane in Chapter 28 would be in big trouble?
2. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
3. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
4. What is unusual about the tracks Huck finds in the snow?
5. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)