|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
(b) Huck digs up the coffin.
(c) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
(d) The King preaches a sermon.
2. What is the source of the commotion in the cellar in Chapter 27?
(a) The King and the Duke fighting over the money.
(b) A dog has baled up a runaway slave.
(c) A dog that has found a rat.
(d) A drunken mourner has raided a wine barrell.
3. Which people did Huck and Tom intend to ambush?
(d) Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.
4. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
(a) Jim is so angry that he attacks Huck.
(b) Jim turns the tables by putting live coals in Huck's bed.
(c) Huck is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) Jim is bitten by an actual snake.
5. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
(b) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(c) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
(d) He dislikes Moses' character.
6. What convinces the ferry captain to investigate the sinking ship?
(a) The opportunity for glory in catching murderers.
(b) The possibility of valuable salvage.
(c) Huck's harrowing story of women and children in peril..
(d) Huck's story of a good financial reward.
7. What first alerts Mrs. Loftus to the fact that 'Sarah/Mary' is a boy?
(a) She sees that he has some fuzz on his cheeks and chin.
(b) Huck does not thread a needle in a feminine way.
(c) His fingernails are dirty.
(d) He doesn't walk daintily in a dress.
8. As he chases Huck around the cabin, brandishing a knife, what does Pappy call his son?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(b) A right nasty varmint.
(c) The Devil incarnate.
(d) A freak of nature who belongs in Hell.
9. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
(a) Poor dress standards.
(c) A negligent attitude to their church-going.
(d) Racial prejudice.
10. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
(a) A quarrel over food.
(b) Some rapids.
(c) Huck loses his lantern and Jim can't see him.
(d) A large island.
11. What doesn't the Duke like about the King's portrayal of Juliet?
(a) The fact that he has a beard.
(b) He is becoming too emotional in the role.
(c) His voice is too soft to be heard.
(d) He is bellowing when he should be speaking softly.
12. Why is Huck feeling "mean and miserable" in Chapter 15?
(a) He knows he has been mean to Jim.
(b) He is troubled by his conscience.
(c) He is hungry and cold.
(d) He is lonely.
13. When the King questions him in Chapter 27, what lie does Huck tell?
(a) He claims that the undertaken sneaked into the King's room just before the funeral.
(b) He claims that Joanna and Susan were in the King's room.
(c) He claims to have seen Jim and Mary Jane talking to a strange man in a yellow coat.
(d) He claims that 'the niggers were in the King's room'.
14. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
(a) The fish pulls Jim into the water and he has to be rescued.
(b) The line breaks.
(c) The hook comes adrift.
(d) The fish is too enormous for them to handle.
15. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Spitting into the wind.
(b) Falling over a black cat.
(c) Pulling floating bread from the river.
(d) Touching a snake's skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
2. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
3. What is the 'good place' to which Miss Watson keeps referring?
4. Why are the streets of the 'one horse town' empty?
5. What explanation does 'Sarah/Mary' Williams give for her journey?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)