|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Huck and Jim first conceal themselves on the Illinois shore?
(a) They stay on the raft that they have covered with branches.
(b) They hide in a cottonwood thicket.
(c) They dig a shelter on the riverbank.
(d) They hide in a ditch.
2. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
(a) The Widow Douglas reads poorly.
(b) He dislikes Moses' character.
(c) Moses is dead and Huck is interested only in the living
(d) Huck is an atheist and hates Bible stories.
3. In Chapter 28, where was the auction held?
(a) On the porch of the house.
(b) On the veranda of the general store.
(c) In the church hall.
(d) In the public square.
4. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(b) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
(c) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
(d) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
5. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
(a) In a cavern.
(b) Inside a hollow log in a clearing.
(c) In bundles secured to treetops.
(d) In a hole dug under a marked tree.
6. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
7. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
(a) It contains sour milk and would be diffficult to clean.
(b) It is too small to use as a water bottle.
(c) It is broken.
(d) They think it contains poison.
8. What is the source of the commotion in the cellar in Chapter 27?
(a) A dog has baled up a runaway slave.
(b) A dog that has found a rat.
(c) A drunken mourner has raided a wine barrell.
(d) The King and the Duke fighting over the money.
9. What news does Mrs. Loftus give Huck regarding his 'murder'?
(a) Pappy has accused Jim.
(b) Judge Thatcher is a suspect.
(c) Miss Watson is engaged to be married.
(d) Jim is a suspect.
10. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
11. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
(b) A hairball.
(c) A crystal ball.
(d) A chicken's liver.
12. Why do the murderers defer leaving in the skiff?
(a) They are worried about the river currents.
(b) They decide to have a pot of whiskey first.
(c) They want to get rid of Turner first.
(d) They want to get Turner's share of the money.
13. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
(b) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
(c) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
(d) The mooring rope has been lost.
14. Why isn't Lawyer Bell present in Chapter 25?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is out hunting.
(c) He is on business in Louisville.
(d) He is on holiday in New Orleans.
15. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
(a) The fish pulls Jim into the water and he has to be rescued.
(b) The fish is too enormous for them to handle.
(c) The line breaks.
(d) The hook comes adrift.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests telling Uncle Harvey about Mary Jane and the mumps?
2. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
3. What is the alias Huck uses at the Grangerfords?
4. What illness is supposed to be the problem at the Proctors'?
5. How do they all make good their escape from the villagers in Chapter 23?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)