|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What calamity befalls Huck and Jim at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) The raft is destroyed in a collision with a large steamboat.
(b) The raft is destroyed as they ride over some rapids.
(c) The raft drifts off by itself and is lost.
(d) The canoe is stolen.
2. Who gives new clothes to Pappy?
(a) Miss Watson.
(c) Judge Thatcher.
(d) The new Judge.
3. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
(a) He pretends to choke on a chicken bone.
(b) He has a drink of water.
(c) He pretends to sneeze.
(d) He says there's a mouse under the table.
4. In what way is Huck's time with his father spoiled?
(a) His father beats him frequently.
(b) His father threatens him with a shotgun.
(c) They never catch any fish.
(d) They run out of money.
5. Where does Huck go to cook his supper in Chapter 8?
(a) On the beach facing the Illinois bank.
(b) The Illinois bank of the river.
(c) Close to where he has hidden the canoe.
(d) Deep into the woods.
6. Who is the servant, Adolphus?
(a) The Duke.
(c) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Huck Finn.
7. What is Huck's reaction to the widow's prayer?
(a) He takes it seriously and goes off to the forest to think about it
(b) He decides to test prayer by praying for impossible things.
(c) He ridicules prayer because he can't see how it helps people.
(d) He takes it seriously and vows to attend church.
8. Which of these statements is closest to a description of Huck's father?
(a) He has wide lips, shaggy hair and very bad breath.
(b) He has a white face, long greasy beard and dark black eyes.
(c) He has a brutal face with a broken nose and a big scar on his left cheek.
(d) He has a ghostly white face, dribbles through broken teeth and has eyes that once might have been intelligent.
9. Who is responsible for tending the door on the night of the special performance in Chapter 23?
(a) The Duke.
(c) The King.
10. How can a snag in the river be recognized?
(a) By the way it sticks out of the water.
(b) By a swirl and ripple in the water.
(c) Through the appearance of a streak in the water.
(d) By the height of the waves.
11. As he chases Huck around the cabin, brandishing a knife, what does Pappy call his son?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(b) The Devil incarnate.
(c) A freak of nature who belongs in Hell.
(d) A right nasty varmint.
12. In contrast to the expressions of grief acted by the King and the Duke, what does Huck view as a good thing?
13. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
14. How do Huck and Jim first conceal themselves on the Illinois shore?
(a) They hide in a ditch.
(b) They stay on the raft that they have covered with branches.
(c) They hide in a cottonwood thicket.
(d) They dig a shelter on the riverbank.
15. How do they all make good their escape from the villagers in Chapter 23?
(a) They lock the villagers in the hall and run for the raft.
(b) They sneak back to the raft and set off down the river.
(c) They steel horses and ride out of town.
(d) They run off to the woods and creep to the raft later.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
2. Who pumps Huck for information about England?
3. Why is his father annoyed with Huck in Chapter 5?
4. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
5. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)