|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A crystal ball.
(b) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
(c) A chicken's liver.
(d) A hairball.
2. In his stories, what does Jim tell people about his five-cent piece?
(a) The Devil gave it to him.
(b) He stole it from the Devil.
(c) Miss Watson gave it to him.
(d) He found it under a tree.
3. In Jim's eyes, how is Huck different?
(a) Jim thinks Huck is braver than anyone else he knows.
(b) Jim says Huck is the only 'white' person who has ever honored a promise to him.
(c) Jim says Huck is 'true blue' and is helping him.
(d) Jim notes that Huck has little care for money.
4. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
(a) Hamlet's soliloquy, the death of Macbeth and the death of Juliet.
(b) The Highland fling, the sailor's hornpipe and Hamlet's soliloquy.
(c) Hamlet's soliloquy, the Highland fling and the sword-dance.
(d) The Highland fling, the Irish jig and Malvolio's tirade.
5. How do Huck and Jim enter the wrecked ship?
(a) They climb onto the larboard deck and go down a ladder.
(b) Through the forward skylight.
(c) By climbing the paddle-wheel.
(d) Through a hole in the stern.
6. What is Huck's reaction to the widow's prayer?
(a) He decides to test prayer by praying for impossible things.
(b) He ridicules prayer because he can't see how it helps people.
(c) He takes it seriously and vows to attend church.
(d) He takes it seriously and goes off to the forest to think about it
7. What are yallarboys?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) Cowardly youths.
(c) Children suffering from jaundice.
(d) A type of fish.
8. Why do Huck and Jim find themselves riding the river through thick fog in Chapter 15?
(a) The mooring rope has been lost.
(b) They are embarking on a new adventure and want to take risks.
(c) The sapling they use as a mooring is not strong enough to hold the raft.
(d) The fog has come down too suddenly for them to get to shore.
9. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
10. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
(a) In bundles secured to treetops.
(b) Inside a hollow log in a clearing.
(c) In a cavern.
(d) In a hole dug under a marked tree.
11. Where does Huck take refuge during the gunfight after Sophia's elopement?
(a) In Emeline's bedroom.
(b) In his canoe.
(c) Under the wood heap.
(d) In a tree.
12. What convinces the ferry captain to investigate the sinking ship?
(a) Huck's story of a good financial reward.
(b) The possibility of valuable salvage.
(c) Huck's harrowing story of women and children in peril..
(d) The opportunity for glory in catching murderers.
13. In Chapter 28, where was the auction held?
(a) In the church hall.
(b) On the veranda of the general store.
(c) In the public square.
(d) On the porch of the house.
14. Why is Huck pleased he chose to hide behind the curtain and not under the bed in Chapter 26?
(a) Because the first thing the duke does is to look under the bed.
(b) Because he can actually see what the King and the Duke are up to.
(c) Because he enjoys the perfume in Mary Jane's dresses.
(d) Because there is a smelly chamber pot under the bed.
15. Name the figurative language used in "the wind was trying to whisper something to me."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Huck lose interest in Moses?
2. According to what Huck tells the King and the Duke, where did his parents come from?
3. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
4. Where had the Grangerfords' beautiful oil cloth table cover come from?
5. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)