|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't the Duke like about the King's portrayal of Juliet?
(a) The fact that he has a beard.
(b) He is bellowing when he should be speaking softly.
(c) He is becoming too emotional in the role.
(d) His voice is too soft to be heard.
2. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
(a) There was a romance between a Shepherdson and a Grangerford.
(b) There was a dispute over land.
(c) No one seems to know, as it started so long ago.
(d) There was a dispute over the river landing stage.
3. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He has an astute observation of birds.
(b) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
(c) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
(d) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
4. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Touching a snake's skin.
(b) Spitting into the wind.
(c) Falling over a black cat.
(d) Pulling floating bread from the river.
5. Whose idea of the after-life does Huck favor?
(a) Tom Sawyer's.
(b) The widow's.
(c) Miss Watson's.
(d) His father's.
6. What happens two days after the funeral?
(a) The King preaches a sermon.
(b) Huck digs up the coffin.
(c) The King borrows a substantial sum of money.
(d) The King puts the property and slaves up for sale.
7. Why do the murderers defer leaving in the skiff?
(a) They want to get rid of Turner first.
(b) They decide to have a pot of whiskey first.
(c) They want to get Turner's share of the money.
(d) They are worried about the river currents.
8. How did Tom and Huck become rich?
(a) They were given $6,000 for handing over a runaway slave.
(b) They recovered $6,000 in gold.
(c) Tom's father lent him $6,000.
(d) Huck's father left him $6,000.
9. Who gives new clothes to Pappy?
(a) The new Judge.
(c) Miss Watson.
(d) Judge Thatcher.
10. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
(b) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
(c) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(d) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
11. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
(a) Harney Shepherson.
(b) No one.
(c) Guests from New Orleans.
12. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(b) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(c) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(d) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
13. What does Huck do with the canoe when he reaches Jackson's Island?
(a) He lets it drift down the river.
(b) He conceals it under willow branches.
(c) He scuttles it.
(d) He hauls it way up the bank and hides it in some woods.
14. Who is the other person Huck tells Mary Jane in Chapter 28 would be in big trouble?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) Harney Shepherdson.
15. What first alerts Mrs. Loftus to the fact that 'Sarah/Mary' is a boy?
(a) His fingernails are dirty.
(b) She sees that he has some fuzz on his cheeks and chin.
(c) Huck does not thread a needle in a feminine way.
(d) He doesn't walk daintily in a dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
2. How can a snag in the river be recognized?
3. What is the main accusation Colonel Sherburn levels at the crowd?
4. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
5. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)