|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
(b) He has an astute observation of birds.
(c) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
(d) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
2. Where does Huck hide the money in Chapter 27?
(a) In Joanna's room.
(b) In Peter's coffin.
(c) On the raft.
(d) Under Peter's bed.
3. What are yallarboys?
(a) Cowardly youths.
(b) A type of fish.
(c) Children suffering from jaundice.
(d) Gold coins.
4. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
(a) He says there's a mouse under the table.
(b) He pretends to sneeze.
(c) He pretends to choke on a chicken bone.
(d) He has a drink of water.
5. Who says: "It's lovely to live on a raft"?
(b) The Duke.
(c) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Huck Finn.
6. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
(b) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
(c) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(d) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
7. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
(a) A quarrel over food.
(b) A large island.
(c) Some rapids.
(d) Huck loses his lantern and Jim can't see him.
8. Who is the other person Huck tells Mary Jane in Chapter 28 would be in big trouble?
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(c) Harney Shepherdson.
9. How do they all make good their escape from the villagers in Chapter 23?
(a) They sneak back to the raft and set off down the river.
(b) They lock the villagers in the hall and run for the raft.
(c) They steel horses and ride out of town.
(d) They run off to the woods and creep to the raft later.
10. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Falling over a black cat.
(b) Pulling floating bread from the river.
(c) Touching a snake's skin.
(d) Spitting into the wind.
11. What was Peter Wilks's occupation?
12. Who has "no more smile to him than there is to a ham"?
(a) The undertaker.
(b) The King.
13. What forms the basis of the humorous conversation in Chapter 14?
(a) Huck's garbled retelling of matter he has just read about.
(b) Jim's accent.
(c) Huck's American vernacular.
(d) Huck telling Jim more tall stories.
14. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
(a) Inside a hollow log in a clearing.
(b) In a hole dug under a marked tree.
(c) In bundles secured to treetops.
(d) In a cavern.
15. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(b) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
(c) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
(d) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
2. What is one symbol that the fog represents?
3. What news does Mrs. Loftus give Huck regarding his 'murder'?
4. In Jim's eyes, how is Huck different?
5. What is the source of the commotion in the cellar in Chapter 27?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)