|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Jim been attempting to test the authenticity of the King's story?
(a) By trying to get him to speak French.
(b) By asking him about Marie Antionette.
(c) By asking him about his sea voyage to America.
(d) By inspecting him for a regal birthmark.
2. What separates Jim and Huck in the fog?
(a) Some rapids.
(b) A large island.
(c) A quarrel over food.
(d) Huck loses his lantern and Jim can't see him.
3. Why is Huck worried when the coffin lid is screwed on?
(a) He knows he will soon be found out by Mary Jane.
(b) He doesn't know whether or not the bag of money is still in the coffin.
(c) He thinks perhaps he'll receive a beating from the Duke.
(d) He thinks maybe the rat got in there.
4. How does Huck give himself thinking time when questions about England become awkward?
(a) He has a drink of water.
(b) He pretends to choke on a chicken bone.
(c) He says there's a mouse under the table.
(d) He pretends to sneeze.
5. Who gives new clothes to Pappy?
(a) Judge Thatcher.
(b) The new Judge.
(c) Miss Watson.
6. As he chases Huck around the cabin, brandishing a knife, what does Pappy call his son?
(a) The Devil incarnate.
(b) A right nasty varmint.
(c) The Angel of Death.
(d) A freak of nature who belongs in Hell.
7. Where does Colonel Sherburn stand to protect himself in Chapter 22?
(a) At the front door of his house.
(b) Behind his front gate.
(c) On the roof of his front porch.
(d) Behind the wood-heap.
8. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Touching a snake's skin.
(b) Pulling floating bread from the river.
(c) Spitting into the wind.
(d) Falling over a black cat.
9. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
(a) To evade Pappy.
(b) To find Jim.
(c) To steal a chicken.
(d) To find some berries.
10. Why do the murderers defer leaving in the skiff?
(a) They want to get rid of Turner first.
(b) They decide to have a pot of whiskey first.
(c) They are worried about the river currents.
(d) They want to get Turner's share of the money.
11. In contrast to the expressions of grief acted by the King and the Duke, what does Huck view as a good thing?
12. Which encores does the Duke suggest Chapter 21?
(a) The Highland fling, the Irish jig and Malvolio's tirade.
(b) Hamlet's soliloquy, the Highland fling and the sword-dance.
(c) Hamlet's soliloquy, the death of Macbeth and the death of Juliet.
(d) The Highland fling, the sailor's hornpipe and Hamlet's soliloquy.
13. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
(b) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(c) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(d) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
14. In Chapter 13, what is Jim's attitude to the adventure he and Huck have just experienced?
(a) Negative. He didn't enjoy it and doesn't want similar adventures.
(b) Ambivalent. He is uncertain about the moral status of what they have just done.
(c) Enthusiastic. He can't wait for the next opportunity, though he does have some criticism.
(d) Compliant. He likes Huck to lead, enjoyed the adventure and falls in with Huck's ideas.
15. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A crystal ball.
(b) A hairball.
(c) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
(d) A chicken's liver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was allowed to sleep in Emmeline Grangerford's room?
2. How can a snag in the river be recognized?
3. Who is the other person Huck tells Mary Jane in Chapter 28 would be in big trouble?
4. What is Huck's reaction to the widow's prayer?
5. Why is his father annoyed with Huck in Chapter 5?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)