|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A crystal ball.
(b) A chicken's liver.
(c) A hairball.
(d) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
2. What first alerts Mrs. Loftus to the fact that 'Sarah/Mary' is a boy?
(a) His fingernails are dirty.
(b) He doesn't walk daintily in a dress.
(c) Huck does not thread a needle in a feminine way.
(d) She sees that he has some fuzz on his cheeks and chin.
3. What explanation does Huck give for having the gun in his hands?
(a) He tells his father he was being helpful by cleaning the gun.
(b) He says he was about to go and shoot a wild hog.
(c) He tells his father someone was trying to break into the cabin.
(d) He says he was checking to see if it was loaded.
4. What forms the basis of the humorous conversation in Chapter 14?
(a) Huck's garbled retelling of matter he has just read about.
(b) Huck's American vernacular.
(c) Jim's accent.
(d) Huck telling Jim more tall stories.
5. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
(a) They think it contains poison.
(b) It is too small to use as a water bottle.
(c) It is broken.
(d) It contains sour milk and would be diffficult to clean.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
2. What idea is it that Huck and his friends don't fully understand [when forming their gang and making plans]?
3. Where, on the island, do Huck and Jim hide their belongings?
4. What explanation does 'Sarah/Mary' Williams give for her journey?
5. In his stories, what does Jim tell people about his five-cent piece?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)