|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
(a) Jim is so angry that he attacks Huck.
(b) Jim turns the tables by putting live coals in Huck's bed.
(c) Huck is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(d) Jim is bitten by an actual snake.
2. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
(a) A hairball.
(b) A crystal ball.
(c) The way a toad reacts when it is prodded with a stick.
(d) A chicken's liver.
3. What is the problem with Jim being imprisoned in a log cabin?
(a) There is no rock on which he can trace his coat-of-arms.
(b) It is very cold there at night.
(c) It is easy for others to hear what is going on inside it.
(d) There is nowhere for Huck and Tom to hide should someone come by.
4. What excuse does Huck give the King for his flight from the cemetery?
(a) He claims he was warned he could be hanged.
(b) He was worried about Jim all alone on the raft.
(c) He needed to get away from the crowds.
(d) He was worried about Joanna and wanted to find her.
5. What forms the basis of the humorous conversation in Chapter 14?
(a) Huck's garbled retelling of matter he has just read about.
(b) Huck's American vernacular.
(c) Huck telling Jim more tall stories.
(d) Jim's accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the King questions him in Chapter 27, what lie does Huck tell?
2. Who is responsible for tending the door on the night of the special performance in Chapter 23?
3. Why does Huck take a canoe up a 'chute' in Chapter 19?
4. Why do Huck and Jim leave the baby's bottle in the house?
5. What does Huck call "the horriblest looking outrage I ever see"?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)