|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Touching a snake's skin.
(b) Pulling floating bread from the river.
(c) Spitting into the wind.
(d) Falling over a black cat.
2. What convinces the ferry captain to investigate the sinking ship?
(a) Huck's story of a good financial reward.
(b) The possibility of valuable salvage.
(c) Huck's harrowing story of women and children in peril..
(d) The opportunity for glory in catching murderers.
3. How is Jim alerted to the coming lightning storm?
(a) He has an astute observation of birds.
(b) He understands clouds and thunderheads.
(c) He goes into a trance and sees a vision of the coming storm.
(d) He feels a change in the atmosphere and smells ozone.
4. Why are loaves of bread floating down the river?
(a) People believe bread dabbed with quicksilver will float to a corpse.
(b) People believe bread thrown in the water will prevent more drownings.
(c) A bread cart has fallen off a bridge.
(d) An angry chef has thrown loaves of bread from a river steamer.
5. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim react when he first sees Huck in Chapter 8?
2. How was Colonel Grangerford attired on Sundays?
3. Where does Huck go to cook his supper in Chapter 8?
4. What is the oracle that Jim consults?
5. Whose idea of the after-life does Huck favor?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)