|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What forms the basis of the humorous conversation in Chapter 14?
(a) Huck telling Jim more tall stories.
(b) Huck's garbled retelling of matter he has just read about.
(c) Jim's accent.
(d) Huck's American vernacular.
2. What action does Jim fear will bring bad luck?
(a) Spitting into the wind.
(b) Falling over a black cat.
(c) Touching a snake's skin.
(d) Pulling floating bread from the river.
3. What is Huck's reaction to the widow's prayer?
(a) He decides to test prayer by praying for impossible things.
(b) He ridicules prayer because he can't see how it helps people.
(c) He takes it seriously and goes off to the forest to think about it
(d) He takes it seriously and vows to attend church.
4. How many logs worth selling do Pap and Huck find?
5. Why are loaves of bread floating down the river?
(a) People believe bread dabbed with quicksilver will float to a corpse.
(b) An angry chef has thrown loaves of bread from a river steamer.
(c) A bread cart has fallen off a bridge.
(d) People believe bread thrown in the water will prevent more drownings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the feud between the Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons?
2. How does Huck's practical joke on Jim backfire?
3. Why are Huck and Jim unable to land the catfish they caught?
4. What word should Huck have used instead of "dolphin"?
5. Whose idea of the after-life does Huck favor?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)