|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the restaurant that Li'l Bit and Peck are dining at been open?
2. Why does Li'l Bit call Peck a good boy?
3. What year does the typical family dinner take place?
4. Who does Big Papa vote for?
5. What action causes Li'l Bit to comment on Peck's dexterity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Peck and Li'l Bit define Peck being good?
2. What does Peck pantomime in the first scene?
3. What is Peck's idea on the back roads to Carolina?
4. What happens after Peck's surprising declaration to Li'l Bit at the end of the photo shoot?
5. Grandma marries Big Papa as a child bride at age fourteen. What does she still believe in?
6. What does Li'l Bit get upset about at the photo shoot?
7. When Li'l Bit goes on the bus ride as an older woman, does she intend to seduce the young man who sits next to her on the bus?
8. What is the mood of the two characters when Peck arrives for Li'l Bit's 18th birthday?
9. The last time Peck is seen alive, he is drinking at a bar after being rejected by Li'l Bit. Li'l Bit sums up the rest of his life at this point. What happens to Peck?
10. What does Li'l Bit have to say about why she is kicked out of school in 1970?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"How I Learned to Drive" uses minimal props. For example, a charge is just two chairs. Action is often pantomimed, such as the act of driving or eating. Give other examples of the minimal set and explain why the author does this.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, who do you feel the most compassion for? Explain your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Peck is described as having his own demons to deal with. What are these demons? Give examples of how he deals with them.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)