|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mother, when a lady drinks, she should never get what?
2. Who does Li'l Bit meet on the long bus ride to Upstate New York?
3. Where is the location of the first setting?
4. What year does the typical family dinner take place?
5. According to the mother, a married woman only needs a broom or a rolling pin. What does she prefer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Peck's theory of "fire" and people.
2. What views on women does Peck share with Li'l Bit as he does the dishes?
3. How does Peck describe his childhood while fishing with Bobby?
4. What is Li'l Bit's plan to keep Peck from drinking?
5. How does Li' Bit describe the male's love of cars?
6. Why is the mother concerned about her 11 year old daughter?
7. What three things does a married woman need to be able to use, according to Grandma?
8. Is Li'l Bit worried about Peck at the Christmas dinner?
9. How does the character of Li'l Bit introduce the first scene?
10. At age 11, can Li'l Bit actually drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peck is often seen comforting Li'l Bit. Give examples of this. Why do you think he wants to comfort Li'l Bit? Is it only because of his sexual feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Give examples of the traditional sexual and gender roles and how they shift during the play.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, who do you feel the most compassion for? Explain your reasons.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)