|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Peck, how are men taught to drive?
2. Why does Peck refer to the car as a she?
3. What does Peck recommend for dinner at the fancy restaurant on the Eastern Shore?
4. What are Peck and Li'l Bit celebrating at the special 1968 dinner?
5. How fast can Peck's favorite car go from 0 to 60?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Li'l Bit not want to be called by that name any longer in the family dinner scene?
2. How does Big Papa describe his choice of Grandma for a bride.
3. What does Li'l Bit have to say about why she is kicked out of school in 1970?
4. Who is Li'l Bit's cousin and what is his name?
5. Why is the mother concerned about her 11 year old daughter?
6. Describe Peck's special place.
7. Why does Li'l Bit describe herself as cynical in 1969?
8. Describe how Li'l Bit's family comes up with nicknames.
9. How does Li'l Bit try to discourage Peck?
10. Who is looking in at the sock hop, but not seen by the students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cars and driving are an important theme in this play. Describe what cars and driving represent in "How I Learned to Drive", and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the play, Aunt Mary encourages Peck to talk to an upset Li'l Bit because he can handle her. Later, Aunt Mary tells the audience that Li'l Bit wraps Peck around her finger and is using him. Yet the first incident occurs when Li'l Bit is 17; the second is when Li'l Bit is 13. Explain these two different actions and perspectives from Aunt Mary.
Essay Topic 3
Li'l Bit's breasts draw attention from family and classmates. Describe how this affects Li'l Bit, giving examples from the text.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)