|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Li'l Bit is born, who is able to hold her in an outstretched hand?
2. "How I Learned to Drive" can best be described as what type of literary work?
3. What type of car do Li'l Bit and Peck sit in during the first scene?
4. What play does the following line come from: "The quality of mercy is not strained"?
5. Where does Peck serve during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Li'l Bit have to say about why she is kicked out of school in 1970?
2. Describe Greg, the boy who asks Li'l Bit to dance.
3. Describe Big Papa.
4. What is Peck's idea on the back roads to Carolina?
5. The last time Peck is seen alive, he is drinking at a bar after being rejected by Li'l Bit. Li'l Bit sums up the rest of his life at this point. What happens to Peck?
6. What purpose does the music serve in "How I Learned to Drive"?
7. In the summer of 1962, Li'l Bit is trying to talk her mother into something. What is it?
8. What trick does Jerome play on Li'l Bit?
9. Why does Li'l Bit say that Peck can be a brain surgeon?
10. What does Peck pantomime in the first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the play, Aunt Mary encourages Peck to talk to an upset Li'l Bit because he can handle her. Later, Aunt Mary tells the audience that Li'l Bit wraps Peck around her finger and is using him. Yet the first incident occurs when Li'l Bit is 17; the second is when Li'l Bit is 13. Explain these two different actions and perspectives from Aunt Mary.
Essay Topic 2
Li'l Bit's entire family appears dysfunctional. Explain how they are dysfunctional and what part this dysfunction plays in Li'l Bit's molestation.
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene, who is behaving more as the adult and who is behaving more as the child? Show your reasoning.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)