|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the location of the first setting?
2. Where does Peck want Li'l Bit's attention during her driving lesson?
3. Who says that Boy Scouts are horny?
4. Who is the nearest thing to a son to Peck?
5. What happens with Li'l Bit at school in 1970?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Li' Bit describe the male's love of cars?
2. Explain Peck's theory of "fire" and people.
3. What is Peck's idea on the back roads to Carolina?
4. Who is looking in at the sock hop, but not seen by the students?
5. Grandma marries Big Papa as a child bride at age fourteen. What does she still believe in?
6. Describe how Li'l Bit's family comes up with nicknames.
7. Is Li'l Bit worried about Peck at the Christmas dinner?
8. How do Peck and Li'l Bit define Peck being good?
9. What gives the 35 year old Li'l Bit comfort and a feeling of freedom?
10. How does the character of Li'l Bit introduce the first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peck is often seen comforting Li'l Bit. Give examples of this. Why do you think he wants to comfort Li'l Bit? Is it only because of his sexual feelings?
Essay Topic 2
"How I Learned to Drive" is also about empowerment. Cite examples of power and how it changes in the play.
Essay Topic 3
When Peck is teaching Li'l Bit how to drive, he is all seriousness. Why is that?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)