|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peck compare Li'l Bit's breasts to?
2. What does the parking lot overlook?
3. What time of day and season is it when the first scene begins?
4. Peck says that Li'l Bit knows the car inside and out in what length of time?
5. How does Li'l Bit hold the steering wheel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Li'l Bit not want to be called by that name any longer in the family dinner scene?
2. Why does Grandma want to scare Li'l Bit with talks of sex.
3. What does Li'l Bit tell her grandfather happens to him when he dies?
4. During the 1966 scene titled "The Anthropology of the Female Body in Ninth Grade", an occasional beeping is heard only by the reader and by Li'l Bit. What is the beeping.
5. In the summer of 1962, Li'l Bit is trying to talk her mother into something. What is it?
6. What does Vogel transition from the scene with the three females in the kitchen talking about sex, to Li'l Bit's first driving lesson.
7. What does Li'l Bit have to say about pedophilia?
8. During the hotel room scene, what does Li'l Bit do with the champagne?
9. Why does Li'l Bit tell Peck to stop being bad during the first scene?
10. When Li'l Bit goes on the bus ride as an older woman, does she intend to seduce the young man who sits next to her on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "How I Learned to Drive", characters sometimes come out of the scene to talk to the audience. Cite examples of this, and explain what purpose it serves.
Essay Topic 2
Peck is described as having his own demons to deal with. What are these demons? Give examples of how he deals with them.
Essay Topic 3
"How I Learned to Drive" jumps back and forth in time. The focus is on Li'l Bit's age, starting when she's 17, then 18, and then 16. The climax of the story is when she's 11, and it ends when she's 35. Why do you think the author does this?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)