|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the middle of the Men, Sex, and Women scene, there is a temporary time shift to what year?
2. Peck encouraged Li'l Bit to have a drink. What does she order?
3. What age is Li'l Bit when she first tells the audience about her family?
4. What is the Li'l Bit's family eating at the family dinner scene?
5. Why does Peck refer to the car as a she?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Li'l Bit say that Peck can be a brain surgeon?
2. What purpose does the music serve in "How I Learned to Drive"?
3. What does Li'l Bit tell her grandfather happens to him when he dies?
4. Grandma marries Big Papa as a child bride at age fourteen. What does she still believe in?
5. What is the mood of the two characters when Peck arrives for Li'l Bit's 18th birthday?
6. In the summer of 1962, Li'l Bit is trying to talk her mother into something. What is it?
7. Describe Big Papa.
8. What does Li'l Bit have to say about why she is kicked out of school in 1970?
9. Who is looking in at the sock hop, but not seen by the students?
10. Sum up "A Mother's Guide to Social Drinking".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peck is described as having his own demons to deal with. What are these demons? Give examples of how he deals with them.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the play, Aunt Mary encourages Peck to talk to an upset Li'l Bit because he can handle her. Later, Aunt Mary tells the audience that Li'l Bit wraps Peck around her finger and is using him. Yet the first incident occurs when Li'l Bit is 17; the second is when Li'l Bit is 13. Explain these two different actions and perspectives from Aunt Mary.
Essay Topic 3
Li'l Bit's breasts draw attention from family and classmates. Describe how this affects Li'l Bit, giving examples from the text.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)