|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Li'l Bit's cousin's nickname is what?
2. Li'l Bit becomes embarrassed when family members talk and joke about her breasts. Who tries to change the subject?
3. What is Peck's favorite car?
4. Li'l Bit tells Peck they have to go because what is happening the next morning?
5. What time of day and season is it when the first scene begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the hotel room scene, what does Li'l Bit do with the champagne?
2. How does Li' Bit describe the male's love of cars?
3. Explain Peck's theory of "fire" and people.
4. Grandma marries Big Papa as a child bride at age fourteen. What does she still believe in?
5. At age 11, can Li'l Bit actually drive?
6. What does Peck do that takes away Li'l Bit's anger during the photo shoot?
7. What is the mood of the two characters when Peck arrives for Li'l Bit's 18th birthday?
8. When Li'l Bit goes on the bus ride as an older woman, does she intend to seduce the young man who sits next to her on the bus?
9. Who is looking in at the sock hop, but not seen by the students?
10. How is Li'l Bit doing in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"How I Learned to Drive" is also about empowerment. Cite examples of power and how it changes in the play.
Essay Topic 2
In one scene, Peck takes Cousin Bobby fishing. Bobby becomes upset that the fish are being hurt, and Peck attempts to comfort Bobby. Does Peck have ulterior motives in comforting Bobby? Explain your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Typically a sexual molester is represented as pure evil, but Peck is often represented as a sympathetic character. Cite examples where he is shown in positive light. Describe your impressions of Peck.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)