|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day and season is it when the first scene begins?
2. Who is waiting for Big Papa with a broom?
3. What is Li'l Bit's mother's name?
4. Who does Li'l Bit meet on the long bus ride to Upstate New York?
5. The male Greek chorus interacts with Peck and Li'l Bit in what way during their special dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Li'l Bit tell Peck to stop being bad during the first scene?
2. During the 1966 scene titled "The Anthropology of the Female Body in Ninth Grade", an occasional beeping is heard only by the reader and by Li'l Bit. What is the beeping.
3. Why does Peck refer to the car as a "she"?
4. How does the character of Li'l Bit introduce the first scene?
5. If you didn't know the ages of Li'l Bit and Peck in the first scene, who acts more like the adult and who acts more like the child?
6. Describe Greg, the boy who asks Li'l Bit to dance.
7. The last time Peck is seen alive, he is drinking at a bar after being rejected by Li'l Bit. Li'l Bit sums up the rest of his life at this point. What happens to Peck?
8. Who is looking in at the sock hop, but not seen by the students?
9. How does Peck describe his childhood while fishing with Bobby?
10. What does Li'l Bit get upset about at the photo shoot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"How I Learned to Drive" jumps back and forth in time. The focus is on Li'l Bit's age, starting when she's 17, then 18, and then 16. The climax of the story is when she's 11, and it ends when she's 35. Why do you think the author does this?
Essay Topic 2
We learn that Peck has a drinking problem. Li'l Bit offers to meet with him once a week if he'll stop drinking. Does he stop drinking? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Peck is often seen comforting Li'l Bit. Give examples of this. Why do you think he wants to comfort Li'l Bit? Is it only because of his sexual feelings?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)