|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college course does Li'l Bit tell her family about?
2. What is Peck's favorite car?
3. How do people in Li'l Bit's family get nicknamed?
4. What kind of work does Li'l Bit do when she cannot find it?
5. Where does Li'l Bit and Peck have a celebration dinner at in 1968?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Li'l Bit's family comes up with nicknames.
2. What views on women does Peck share with Li'l Bit as he does the dishes?
3. What purpose does the Greek Chorus serve in "How I Learned to Drive"?
4. When Li'l Bit goes on the bus ride as an older woman, does she intend to seduce the young man who sits next to her on the bus?
5. During the 1966 scene titled "The Anthropology of the Female Body in Ninth Grade", an occasional beeping is heard only by the reader and by Li'l Bit. What is the beeping.
6. Grandma marries Big Papa as a child bride at age fourteen. What does she still believe in?
7. Why does Grandma want to scare Li'l Bit with talks of sex.
8. What is Li'l Bit's plan to keep Peck from drinking?
9. Why does Peck refer to the car as a "she"?
10. What does Peck pantomime in the first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cars and driving are an important theme in this play. Describe what cars and driving represent in "How I Learned to Drive", and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
In the first scene, who is behaving more as the adult and who is behaving more as the child? Show your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Give examples of the traditional sexual and gender roles and how they shift during the play.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)