|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a voice announce as an adult Li'l Bit comes on stage to explain her family's nicknames?
(a) Driving in First Gear.
(b) Idling in the Neutral Gear.
(c) Driving in Second Gear.
(d) Driving in Reverse.
2. What does Grandma think is something that her daughters make up?
(a) Rhythm method.
(c) The Easter bunny.
(d) G force.
3. When Peck leaves a drunk and sleeping Li'l Bit in the car, what music is playing?
(a) Wagner's "Flying Dutchman".
(b) Gary Pucket and the Union Gaps "This Girl is a Woman Now".
(c) The Beach Boys' "You're Sixteen".
(d) Roy Orbison's "Dream Baby".
4. "How I Learned to Drive" can best be described as what type of literary work?
(d) Short story.
5. What represents the car in the first scene?
(a) Two people standing with knees bent.
(b) A cardboard cutout that looks like a car.
(c) Two chairs facing forward.
(d) A car windshield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Li'l Bit tells Peck they have to go because what is happening the next morning?
2. What kind of car does Li'l Bit drive around in during the Nixon recession?
3. How do people in Li'l Bit's family get nicknamed?
4. When the countryside is dotted with farmhouses, what do people witness from their front porches?
5. Why does Peck refer to the car as a she?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trick does Jerome play on Li'l Bit?
2. What is the mood of the two characters when Peck arrives for Li'l Bit's 18th birthday?
3. What is Li'l Bit's plan to keep Peck from drinking?
4. What does Li'l Bit get upset about at the photo shoot?
5. Describe Big Papa.
6. What frightens Li'l Bit about the attention that Peck shows her when she moves away?
7. What are Li'l Bit's conditions for the weekly meeting with her uncle?
8. At age 11, can Li'l Bit actually drive?
9. Grandma marries Big Papa as a child bride at age fourteen. What does she still believe in?
10. How is Li'l Bit doing in college?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)