|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Peck leaves a drunk and sleeping Li'l Bit in the car, what music is playing?
(a) Roy Orbison's "Dream Baby".
(b) The Beach Boys' "You're Sixteen".
(c) Wagner's "Flying Dutchman".
(d) Gary Pucket and the Union Gaps "This Girl is a Woman Now".
2. What represents the car in the first scene?
(a) Two people standing with knees bent.
(b) A cardboard cutout that looks like a car.
(c) Two chairs facing forward.
(d) A car windshield.
3. Who says: "Sometimes to tell a secret, you first have to teach a lesson"?
(b) Li'l Bit.
4. Who does Li'l Bit meet on the long bus ride to Upstate New York?
(a) A senior from Walt Whitman High.
(b) A relative that she hasn't seen for some time.
(c) An older man who seduces her.
(d) A boy she goes to school with.
5. In the first scene, what road is less than a mile away?
(a) Highway 20.
(b) Route 66.
(c) U.S. One.
(d) Farm road 142.
6. According to Peck, how are women taught to drive?
(a) With aggression.
(b) With daring.
(c) With politeness.
(d) With confidence.
7. Why does Peck refer to the car as a she?
(a) Because it's beautiful.
(b) Because he's controlling it.
(c) Because it responds to his touch.
8. What kind of work does Li'l Bit do when she cannot find it?
(a) She refuses to work.
(b) Working in a liquor store.
(c) Racing cars.
(d) Factory jobs.
9. How old is Li'l Bit in the first scene?
10. How fast can Peck's favorite car go from 0 to 60?
(a) 10.2 seconds.
(b) 8.9 seconds.
(c) 7.8 seconds.
(d) 9.6 seconds
11. What does a voice announce as an adult Li'l Bit comes on stage to explain her family's nicknames?
(a) Idling in the Neutral Gear.
(b) Driving in First Gear.
(c) Driving in Reverse.
(d) Driving in Second Gear.
12. What is the name of the county where Peck grows up?
13. Who tells Peck, "this isn't right," about what Peck and Li'l Bit are doing?
(b) The waiter.
(d) Li'l Bit.
14. Where does Li'l Bit and Peck have a celebration dinner at in 1968?
(a) A fancy restaurant in Baltimore.
(b) At his home.
(c) An inn on the Eastern shore.
(d) An elegant New York restaurant.
15. What does the night of the first scene make a middle-aged man with a mortgage feel like?
(a) An old man.
(b) A country boy.
(c) A kid.
(d) A frisky young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Li'l Bit describe the God who judges her grandfather when he dies?
2. Li'l Bit refers her first lesson as the "initiation into a boy's first love." What is this first love?
3. What is serious business to Peck?
4. Who is Peck married to?
5. What age is Li'l Bit when she first tells the audience about her family?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)