|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Peck, how are men taught to drive?
(a) With confidence.
(b) With careful attention to details.
(c) With speed.
(d) With daring.
2. Who does Li'l Bit meet on the long bus ride to Upstate New York?
(a) A relative that she hasn't seen for some time.
(b) A senior from Walt Whitman High.
(c) A boy she goes to school with.
(d) An older man who seduces her.
3. How long has the restaurant that Li'l Bit and Peck are dining at been open?
(a) 1 year.
(b) Since the 1700s.
(c) 100 years.
(d) Since the 17th century.
4. Who does Big Papa vote for?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) George McGovern.
(c) George Wallace.
(d) Richard Nixon.
5. Where does Peck serve during the war?
(a) In France.
(b) In the Pacific Theater.
(c) In Germany.
(d) Stays in the U.S.
6. What time of day and season is it when the first scene begins?
(a) A calm autumn afternoon.
(b) A windy spring day.
(c) A warm summer evening.
(d) A stormy winter night.
7. What sound cuts off the music in the first scene?
(a) A revving car.
(b) Li'l Bit's voice.
(c) The sound of a far away train.
(d) The driver's education film.
8. When the countryside is dotted with farmhouses, what do people witness from their front porches?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) Planes taking off.
(d) The Civil War.
9. When does Li'l Bit begin moving away from the Men, Sex, and Women scene?
(a) When the driver's education voice speaks.
(b) When the singing starts.
(c) When her mother and grandmother argue.
(d) When Big Papa enters the scene.
10. What does Grandma blame for her crippled shoulders?
(a) Old age.
(c) Big Papa.
(d) Never having a decent bra.
11. Peck says that Li'l Bit knows the car inside and out in what length of time?
(a) Seven hours.
(b) Six weekends.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four weeks.
12. How old is Grandma when she marries?
13. "How I Learned to Drive" can best be described as what type of literary work?
(a) Short story.
14. What is Li'l Bit's mother's name?
(a) The titless wonder.
(c) We never learn it.
15. Who is waiting for Big Papa with a broom?
(b) Li'l Bit.
(c) Aunt Lily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is serious business to Peck?
2. What is Peck's favorite car?
3. How does Li'l Bit describe the soap in the ladies room of the restaurant?
4. What are Peck and Li'l Bit celebrating at the special 1968 dinner?
5. What does Peck say that he lives all week for?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)