|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the course of events in Howards End, two extramarital affairs come to light that change how the characters in the novel view those involved. Write an essay discussing these events and how they reflect Forster's views on gender and marriage.
- How does gender play a role in how those characters involved in the affairs are treated by the others?
- How do the characters react when the affairs are revealed?
- What do these events tell you as a reader about the society at the time?
- Do you think that attitudes have changed, or would the characters involved in the affairs be treated the same way today?
Essay Topic 2
An author's style is created through the combination of literary devices and language that the author chooses to use, which makes his or her writing unique. Write an essay analyzing E.M. Forster's style in Howards End, discussing three key characteristics that make his style unique. Please use examples from the novel, providing quotes when necessary, to support your points. Feel free to compare Forster to other novelists you have read in class, especially if this comparison helps to prove the point of his uniqueness.
Essay Topic 3
The setting is the time and place in which the novel is set, including historical, geographic and location-specific details.
- What is the setting of Howards End?
- Do you know the setting because the author states this implicitly or because it is inferred from details about the time and place?
- How does the setting affect the telling of this story?
- If you change the setting, would the story still make sense or is it dependent on the setting?
Write an essay discussing how Forster created the setting in Howards End, answering all the questions above, providing specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)