|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An author's style is created through the combination of literary devices and language that the author chooses to use, which makes his or her writing unique. Write an essay analyzing E.M. Forster's style in Howards End, discussing three key characteristics that make his style unique. Please use examples from the novel, providing quotes when necessary, to support your points. Feel free to compare Forster to other novelists you have read in class, especially if this comparison helps to prove the point of his uniqueness.
Essay Topic 2
In Howards End, there is a division between the urban characters and those from the suburbs or the country. Write an essay discussing the differences between these characters and how Forster's treatment of these characters may reflect his own views of city versus country life. Consider these questions:
- Are some characters considered more up to date and modern than others?
- Does the character's specific location in reference to the land endow him or her with a different kind of knowledge in Forster's view?
- If so, what are these different kinds of knowledge?
- How does being situated in an urban or rural landscape change how the character moves about in society?
- Do some of the characters move easily from one locale to the next?
- Do other characters have trouble negotiating the change from urban to rural and vise versa?
You should pick at least three characters to compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
The mood of a novel is the general atmosphere or the overall emotional tone the reader gets from reading the book. How would you describe the mood of Howards End? Does the mood change in different parts of the story? If so, what are the differences? What does mood do for a story? Why do we notice it as we read the story? Write an essay discussing the mood of Howards End and how this affected you as a reader. Provide specific examples from the text that support your discussion.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)