|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the course of events in Howards End, two extramarital affairs come to light that change how the characters in the novel view those involved. Write an essay discussing these events and how they reflect Forster's views on gender and marriage.
- How does gender play a role in how those characters involved in the affairs are treated by the others?
- How do the characters react when the affairs are revealed?
- What do these events tell you as a reader about the society at the time?
- Do you think that attitudes have changed, or would the characters involved in the affairs be treated the same way today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Forster uses dialogue in the novel. What does dialogue do for a novel? Does it give a better sense of the characters, mood, and/or setting? Does it help move the story forward? Do you think the author captures the way people spoke at the time the novel was written or when it took place? Provide examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discussions of identity occur frequently throughout the novel. Choose at least three characters and discuss how each one approaches the concept of identity. Questions to consider while writing are:
- Is the character conscious of his or her identity or not?
- Does that character feel comfortable with her or her identity?
- Does the character consciously try to change who he or she is or how he or she is perceived by society?
- Also, what social commentary does the author hope to make through these explorations of identity in the novel Howards End?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)