|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Communist Eye...", Slavenka believed that beggars were lying about what?
2. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
3. What continued to surprise Slavenka as she lived in the United States?
4. Communism caused Slavenka's entire country to be what?
5. Who was in charge of renewing Zagreb?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
2. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
3. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
4. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
5. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
6. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
7. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
8. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
9. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
10. Why was Tito's death significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Slavenka visited America, she was disgusted to see the "natural look" glamorized in fashion magazines. Write an essay examining the idea of beauty during Communist times and how freedom affected Slavenka's personal appreciation for make-up and individuality.
Essay Topic 2
Although Slavenka was cared for by the state under Communist rule, she still lacked many things throughout her life. Write an essay examining Slavenka's relationship to poverty as demonstrated throughout the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Slavenka and her parents and the relationship between Slavenka and her daughter.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)