|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", what was Slavenka asked to write?
2. What did not exist under socialism?
3. When Zagreb's facade was improved, what concerned Slavenka?
4. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka feel about the idea of war?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", what useless item did Vesna's mother spend time washing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
2. What did Slavenka suspect about the homeless in New York?
3. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
4. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
5. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
6. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
7. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
8. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
9. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
10. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Slavenka visited America, she was disgusted to see the "natural look" glamorized in fashion magazines. Write an essay examining the idea of beauty during Communist times and how freedom affected Slavenka's personal appreciation for make-up and individuality.
Essay Topic 2
Slavenka and her daughter were raised in two different cultures. Write an essay comparing and contrasting their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Although Slavenka was somewhat of an environmentalist, she balked at government control in this area. Write an essay examining her stance on the government's involvement in the environment. Analyze why she feels the way she does about the topic, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)