|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slavenka noticed that people often did what, in preparation for a war?
2. During Communism, what were Eastern Europeans good at doing?
3. In Beograd, why did a mob attempt to set a girl's coat on fire?
4. In Slavenka's opinion, what type of influence did women have in Eastern Europe?
5. In what country is Castro a leader?
Essay Topic 1
When Slavenka visited America, she was disgusted to see the "natural look" glamorized in fashion magazines. Write an essay examining the idea of beauty during Communist times and how freedom affected Slavenka's personal appreciation for make-up and individuality.
Essay Topic 2
Slavenka was raised to be an atheist. Examine her relationship with religion before and after Communist rule.
Essay Topic 3
The lack of hope is theme that runs throughout the book. Write an essay examining the lack of hope in one of the following people:
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)