|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", Slavenka says Communism failed due to what reason?
2. In Slavenka's first election, which was the only group allowed to win?
3. Why was Slavenka confused when certain people were glorified in the United States?
4. During Communism, what were Eastern Europeans good at doing?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", what happened to Vesna's stockings?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
2. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
3. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
4. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
5. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
6. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
7. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
8. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
9. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
10. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When Slavenka was growing up, Communism was the only life she knew When it fell she was optimistic but afraid.
1) For Slavenka, what was it like living under Communism rule?
2) How did her life change when Communism falls?
3) How did Eastern Europe change, following the fall?
Essay Topic 3
Although many of the women in the book were married, they were not in happy relationships. Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Many of Slavenka's friends were unhappy in their relationship due to the inequality between men and women.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)