|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Communism, what were Eastern Europeans good at doing?
2. Where was Evelina from?
3. In "A Communist Eye...", Slavenka believed that beggars were lying about what?
4. Slavenka noticed that people often did what, in preparation for a war?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", what did both Slavenka and Vesna's mother like about foreign products?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
2. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
3. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
4. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
5. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
6. Why was Tito's death significant?
7. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
8. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
9. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
10. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavenka was raised to be an atheist. Examine her relationship with religion before and after Communist rule.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Slavenka and her parents and the relationship between Slavenka and her daughter.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Communism, women in Eastern European were not valued. During the fall of Communism, Slavenka did not feel women received adequate representation in the media. Examine Slavenka's feminist views and their relationship to her upbringing in a Communist culture.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)