|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
2. What type of people heard Slavenka's speech on the "velvet revolution"?
3. During her speech in "A Letter from the United States...", Slavenka says communism failed due to a lack of what?
4. During Communism, what were Eastern Europeans good at doing?
5. What did not exist under socialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
2. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
3. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
4. Why was Tito's death significant?
5. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
6. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
7. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
8. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
9. What did Slavenka suspect about the homeless in New York?
10. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Communism, women in Eastern European were not valued. During the fall of Communism, Slavenka did not feel women received adequate representation in the media. Examine Slavenka's feminist views and their relationship to her upbringing in a Communist culture.
Essay Topic 2
After being raised in a Communist country, Slavenka eventually moved to the United States to live. Citing examples from the text, compare and contrast the lifestyle Slavenka had in the U.S. versus her life under Communist rule.
Essay Topic 3
When Slavenka bought a fur coat, she felt guilty but decided to wear it on principle.
1) Why did she feel guilty?
2) What did the coat symbolize?
3) Why principles inspired her to wear it anyway?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)