|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", what happened to Vesna's stockings?
2. In "A Letter from the United States...", what symbol represented freedom to Slavenka?
3. In "Some Doubts...", what exotic purchase did Slavenka feel guilty about?
4. During Communism, what were Eastern Europeans good at doing?
5. In "A Communist Eye...", what did Slavenka notice about the people in advertisements?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
2. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
3. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
4. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
5. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
6. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
7. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
8. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
9. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
10. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Communism fell, basic items such as food became abundant in both variety and availability. In what interesting ways did this abundant lifestyle affect the people of Eastern Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
When Slavenka bought a fur coat, she felt guilty but decided to wear it on principle.
1) Why did she feel guilty?
2) What did the coat symbolize?
3) Why principles inspired her to wear it anyway?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)