|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", what was Slavenka asked to speak on?
2. What was missing from Slavenka's father's funeral?
3. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", what news channel did Slavenka watch?
4. Slavenka referred to a Communist way of looking at things as what?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", Slavenka says Communism failed due to what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
2. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
3. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
4. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
5. What affected Slavenka emotionally, during her first midnight mass?
6. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
7. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
8. Why was Tito's death significant?
9. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
10. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Due to Slavenka's work as a journalist, the state assigned her a Censor. Write an essay examining:
1) The nature of Slavenka's work.
2) The purpose of the Censor.
3) Whether or not the Censor affected Slavenka's work.
Essay Topic 2
Freedom of speech or expression was not allowed under Communist rule. Examine how the people in Slavenka's life were affected by this mandate.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Communism, women in Eastern European were not valued. During the fall of Communism, Slavenka did not feel women received adequate representation in the media. Examine Slavenka's feminist views and their relationship to her upbringing in a Communist culture.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)