|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slavenka referred to a Communist way of looking at things as what?
2. What religious holidays did Slavenka's family celebrate?
3. In "How We Survived Communism", what happened to Vesna's stockings?
4. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother prevent her from throwing stockings away?
5. Once they had the right to vote, the people in Zagreb had little interest in doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
2. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
3. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
4. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
5. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
6. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
7. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
8. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
9. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
10. Why was Tito's death significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lack of hope is theme that runs throughout the book. Write an essay examining the lack of hope in one of the following people:
Essay Topic 2
Many of the products and services Slavenka was raised with were poor quality, as they were managed by the state. Write an essay examining the cause and effect of communism on one of the following state run organizations:
1) The post office.
2) The phone company.
3) The appliance industry.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Slavenka and her parents and the relationship between Slavenka and her daughter.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)