|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising item did Slavenka hold up, while speaking on the "velvet revolution"?
2. During Communism, what were Eastern Europeans good at doing?
3. What was missing from Slavenka's father's funeral?
4. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
5. What was Slavenka's mother able to recite at the midnight mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affected Slavenka emotionally, during her first midnight mass?
2. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
3. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
4. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
5. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
6. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
7. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
8. Why was Tito's death significant?
9. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
10. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Slavenka was cared for by the state under Communist rule, she still lacked many things throughout her life. Write an essay examining Slavenka's relationship to poverty as demonstrated throughout the text.
Essay Topic 2
After Communism fell, basic items such as food became abundant in both variety and availability. In what interesting ways did this abundant lifestyle affect the people of Eastern Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)