|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", what useless item did Vesna's mother spend time washing?
2. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka feel about the idea of war?
3. In 1990, what two countries split from Yugoslavia?
4. What did the revolution in Zagreb, Croatia lack?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", Slavenka said that a country is only capable of providing for its citizens for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
2. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
3. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
4. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
5. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
6. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
7. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
8. Why was Tito's death significant?
9. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
10. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Communism fell, basic items such as food became abundant in both variety and availability. In what interesting ways did this abundant lifestyle affect the people of Eastern Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Due to Slavenka's work as a journalist, the state assigned her a Censor. Write an essay examining:
1) The nature of Slavenka's work.
2) The purpose of the Censor.
3) Whether or not the Censor affected Slavenka's work.
Essay Topic 3
Once communism fell, there was still much unrest and disorganization in the cities it once ruled. Write an essay examining the effect of this change on one of the following topics:
1) The citizens.
2) The buildings.
3) The culture.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)