|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", what useless item did Vesna's mother spend time washing?
2. In Slavenka's first election, which was the only group allowed to win?
3. What group wanted to take political control during the strife in Yugoslavia?
4. Slavenka believed that what was an endangered species under Communism?
5. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka feel about the idea of war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
2. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
3. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
4. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
5. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
6. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
7. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
8. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
9. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
10. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When Slavenka visited America, she was disgusted to see the "natural look" glamorized in fashion magazines. Write an essay examining the idea of beauty during Communist times and how freedom affected Slavenka's personal appreciation for make-up and individuality.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Slavenka and her parents and the relationship between Slavenka and her daughter.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)