|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Slavenka when she first participated in an election?
2. In "How We Survived Communism", Slavenka said that a country is only capable of providing for its citizens for how long?
3. What religious holidays did Slavenka's family celebrate?
4. What continued to surprise Slavenka as she lived in the United States?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", Slavenka says Communism failed due to what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
2. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
3. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
4. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
5. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
6. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
7. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
8. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
9. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
10. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom of speech or expression was not allowed under Communist rule. Examine how the people in Slavenka's life were affected by this mandate.
Essay Topic 2
Although Slavenka was cared for by the state under Communist rule, she still lacked many things throughout her life. Write an essay examining Slavenka's relationship to poverty as demonstrated throughout the text.
Essay Topic 3
Slavenka was raised to be an atheist. Examine her relationship with religion before and after Communist rule.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)