|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group wanted to take political control during the strife in Yugoslavia?
2. What surprising item did Slavenka hold up, while speaking on the "velvet revolution"?
3. In "A Letter from the United States...", what was Slavenka asked to write?
4. Why did Slavenka leave midnight mass?
5. In Slavenka's opinion, what type of influence did women have in Eastern Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
2. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
3. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
4. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
5. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
6. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
7. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
8. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
9. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
10. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Communism fell, basic items such as food became abundant in both variety and availability. In what interesting ways did this abundant lifestyle affect the people of Eastern Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Due to Slavenka's work as a journalist, the state assigned her a Censor. Write an essay examining:
1) The nature of Slavenka's work.
2) The purpose of the Censor.
3) Whether or not the Censor affected Slavenka's work.
Essay Topic 3
Once communism fell, there was still much unrest and disorganization in the cities it once ruled. Write an essay examining the effect of this change on one of the following topics:
1) The citizens.
2) The buildings.
3) The culture.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)