|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", Slavenka was asked to speak on what?
2. In "How We Survived Communism", what did both Slavenka and Vesna's mother like about foreign products?
3. Why did Slavenka leave midnight mass?
4. During "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", Croatia's president issued what decree?
5. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
2. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
3. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
4. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
5. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
6. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
7. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
8. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
9. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
10. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Due to Slavenka's work as a journalist, the state assigned her a Censor. Write an essay examining:
1) The nature of Slavenka's work.
2) The purpose of the Censor.
3) Whether or not the Censor affected Slavenka's work.
Essay Topic 2
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
After being raised in a Communist country, Slavenka eventually moved to the United States to live. Citing examples from the text, compare and contrast the lifestyle Slavenka had in the U.S. versus her life under Communist rule.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)