|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people heard Slavenka's speech on the "velvet revolution"?
2. In "How We Survived Communism", what did both Slavenka and Vesna's mother like about foreign products?
3. Under Communism, Slavenka knew Croatia would never what?
4. Slavenka noticed that people often did what, in preparation for a war?
5. In "A Communist Eye...", what food item did Slavenka almost pick up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Slavenka suspect about the homeless in New York?
2. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
3. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
4. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
5. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
6. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
7. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
8. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
9. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
10. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Communism, women in Eastern European were not valued. During the fall of Communism, Slavenka did not feel women received adequate representation in the media. Examine Slavenka's feminist views and their relationship to her upbringing in a Communist culture.
Essay Topic 2
When Slavenka visited America, she was disgusted to see the "natural look" glamorized in fashion magazines. Write an essay examining the idea of beauty during Communist times and how freedom affected Slavenka's personal appreciation for make-up and individuality.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the products and services Slavenka was raised with were poor quality, as they were managed by the state. Write an essay examining the cause and effect of communism on one of the following state run organizations:
1) The post office.
2) The phone company.
3) The appliance industry.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)