|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slavenka believed that what was an endangered species under Communism?
2. What war did Slavenka watch during "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin"?
3. Slavenka referred to a Communist way of looking at things as what?
4. When Zagreb's facade was improved, what concerned Slavenka?
5. In "A Letter from the United States...", what group did Slavenka say was somewhat radical?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tito's death significant?
2. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
3. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
4. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
5. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
6. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
7. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
8. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
9. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
10. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the products and services Slavenka was raised with were poor quality, as they were managed by the state. Write an essay examining the cause and effect of communism on one of the following state run organizations:
1) The post office.
2) The phone company.
3) The appliance industry.
Essay Topic 2
Slavenka was raised to be an atheist. Examine her relationship with religion before and after Communist rule.
Essay Topic 3
The lack of hope is theme that runs throughout the book. Write an essay examining the lack of hope in one of the following people:
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)