|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had military control during the split with Yugoslavia?
2. What was Slavenka's mother able to recite at the midnight mass?
3. What did the revolution in Zagreb, Croatia lack?
4. Slavenka sees what as the only outcome of war?
5. In "A Communist Eye...", what food item did Slavenka almost pick up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tito's death significant?
2. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
3. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
4. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
5. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
6. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
7. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
8. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
9. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
10. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavenka and her daughter were raised in two different cultures. Write an essay comparing and contrasting their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Slavenka and her parents and the relationship between Slavenka and her daughter.
Essay Topic 3
Slavenka mentioned feeling right-wing next to most leftist men, although she saw herself as a social democrat. Write a brief essay examining Slavenka's political views and how she related them to others.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)