Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
2. What was Slavenka's mother able to recite at the midnight mass?
3. What type of people heard Slavenka's speech on the "velvet revolution"?
4. What surprising item did Slavenka hold up, while speaking on the "velvet revolution"?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", what useless item did Vesna's mother spend time washing?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a literary method of using an object in a narrative to represent a higher ideal. Choose from one of the following symbols that appear in "How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed" and examine its purpose in the story.
3) The Censor.
Essay Topic 2
Slavenka mentioned feeling right-wing next to most leftist men, although she saw herself as a social democrat. Write a brief essay examining Slavenka's political views and how she related them to others.
Essay Topic 3
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)