|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", what did Slavenka say regarding Communist women and public discourse?
2. What was the condition of feminism in Eastern Europe, following the fall of Communism?
3. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
4. In Croatia, when did the citizens begin to celebrate Christmas once again?
5. In "How We Survived Communism", what did both Slavenka and Vesna's mother like about foreign products?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
2. What did Slavenka suspect about the homeless in New York?
3. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
4. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
5. Why was Tito's death significant?
6. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
7. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
8. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
9. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
10. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother want her to save a ripped stocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Slavenka visited America, she was disgusted to see the "natural look" glamorized in fashion magazines. Write an essay examining the idea of beauty during Communist times and how freedom affected Slavenka's personal appreciation for make-up and individuality.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the products and services Slavenka was raised with were poor quality, as they were managed by the state. Write an essay examining the cause and effect of communism on one of the following state run organizations:
1) The post office.
2) The phone company.
3) The appliance industry.
Essay Topic 3
Although Communism fell, many of those raised under Communist rule were still affected by a Communist mentality. Define what is meant by a Communist mentality, using supporting examples from the text.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)