|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1987, what did Castro limit the ownership of?
2. In Communist countries, who provided for the poor?
3. In "How We Survived Communism", what did both Slavenka and Vesna's mother like about foreign products?
4. What surprising item did Slavenka hold up, while speaking on the "velvet revolution"?
5. Once they had the right to vote, the people in Zagreb had little interest in doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
2. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
3. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
4. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
5. Slavenka believes it impossible for a regime to do what?
6. Why did Slavenka hold up sanitary napkins and tampons during a speech?
7. Why was Tito's death significant?
8. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
9. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
10. What struck Slavenka as unusual, regarding the election in Sagreb, Croatia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once communism fell, there was still much unrest and disorganization in the cities it once ruled. Write an essay examining the effect of this change on one of the following topics:
1) The citizens.
2) The buildings.
3) The culture.
Essay Topic 2
Freedom of speech or expression was not allowed under Communist rule. Examine how the people in Slavenka's life were affected by this mandate.
Essay Topic 3
When Slavenka bought a fur coat, she felt guilty but decided to wear it on principle.
1) Why did she feel guilty?
2) What did the coat symbolize?
3) Why principles inspired her to wear it anyway?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)