|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alemka do for a living?
2. When Zsuzsa and Istvan divorced, what did Zsuzsa believe?
3. What topics did Slavenka and Evelinka's dinner party guests discuss?
4. What did Slavenka's family once use for toilet paper?
5. When did Croatia become a democracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Slavenka have such a difficult time paying her phone bill?
2. Why did people trade space in their apartments?
3. What were the living conditions for those living under communist rule?
4. Slavenka realized that, to her daughter, Barbie represented what?
5. What did the Censor discuss with Slavenka?
6. Why was soup a popular dish under the Communist rule?
7. What lie did Slavenka tell her daughter, regarding comfortable toilet paper and other basic amenities?
8. Why was Slavenka disgusted by the idea of natural make-up when she saw it in the United States?
9. In order to have a positive future, the people of Eastern Europe had to learn to do what?
10. When Eastern European women had problems, who did they blame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Slavenka bought a fur coat, she felt guilty but decided to wear it on principle.
1) Why did she feel guilty?
2) What did the coat symbolize?
3) Why principles inspired her to wear it anyway?
Essay Topic 2
Slavenka and her daughter were raised in two different cultures. Write an essay comparing and contrasting their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Communism, women in Eastern European were not valued. During the fall of Communism, Slavenka did not feel women received adequate representation in the media. Examine Slavenka's feminist views and their relationship to her upbringing in a Communist culture.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)