|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brand of toilet paper did Slavenka use as a child?
2. Slavenka learned the truth about Ulrike from whom?
3. What response did Tanja's article against socialism receive?
4. Years after her release, what happened to Ulrike's prison?
5. What did Tanja choose to do, following her pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the state keep an eye on Slavenka?
2. What did the Censor discuss with Slavenka?
3. Why did Slavanka think of her old doll while shopping in Poles?
4. Why was Slavenka upset when her daughter asked for a Barbie?
5. Why were many of Slavenka's friends depressed?
6. What did Eastern Europe have to fight for, following the fall of Communism?
7. Why did the Communists prevent women from wearing make-up?
8. When Eastern European women had problems, who did they blame?
9. Why did Slavenka have to learn of Ulrike's past from a friend rather than Ulrike?
10. Why was Slavenka disgusted by the idea of natural make-up when she saw it in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Slavenka bought a fur coat, she felt guilty but decided to wear it on principle.
1) Why did she feel guilty?
2) What did the coat symbolize?
3) Why principles inspired her to wear it anyway?
Essay Topic 2
Although Slavenka was somewhat of an environmentalist, she balked at government control in this area. Write an essay examining her stance on the government's involvement in the environment. Analyze why she feels the way she does about the topic, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Although Slavenka was cared for by the state under Communist rule, she still lacked many things throughout her life. Write an essay examining Slavenka's relationship to poverty as demonstrated throughout the text.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)