|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ulrike put in prison?
2. As a child, what form of transportation did Slavenka take on a visit to Italy?
3. What amazed Slavenka about the American phone system?
4. When year did Tanja die?
5. During Communist times, why did people trade space in their apartments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the state keep an eye on Slavenka?
2. When Eastern European women had problems, who did they blame?
3. Why did the new president of Croatia create private booths to pay bills?
4. In Communist times, what steps made up the beauty routine of Slavenka's mother?
5. After the fall of Communism, what topics were discussed openly at dinner parties?
6. Why was Slavenka startled to find a notated Bible amongst Tanja's possessions?
7. What pained Slavenka in a memory of her grandmother?
8. Why was Slavenka disappointed after the fall of Communism?
9. Why did the Communists prevent women from wearing make-up?
10. What did the Censor discuss with Slavenka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Slavenka and her parents and the relationship between Slavenka and her daughter.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the products and services Slavenka was raised with were poor quality, as they were managed by the state. Write an essay examining the cause and effect of communism on one of the following state run organizations:
1) The post office.
2) The phone company.
3) The appliance industry.
Essay Topic 3
Once communism fell, there was still much unrest and disorganization in the cities it once ruled. Write an essay examining the effect of this change on one of the following topics:
1) The citizens.
2) The buildings.
3) The culture.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)