|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Evelina from?
2. What was unique about the midnight mass Slavenka attended with her mother?
(a) Much of the crowd was young.
(b) Much of the crowd was old.
(c) The mass was held on a sidewalk.
(d) The church was empty.
3. Who was in charge of renewing Zagreb?
(a) Private investors.
(b) The state.
(c) City officials.
(d) The people.
4. Slavenka sees what as the only outcome of war?
(a) Massive death.
5. How old was Slavenka when she first participated in an election?
Short Answer Questions
1. During "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", Croatia's president issued what decree?
2. What was considered absurd, in a Communist country?
3. In "A Letter from the United States...", what group did Slavenka say was somewhat radical?
4. Slavenka noticed that people often did what, in preparation for a war?
5. What was significant about the new facade in Budapest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affected Slavenka emotionally, during her first midnight mass?
2. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
3. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", what happened to a girl wearing a mink coat in Beograd?
4. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
5. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
6. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
7. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
8. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
9. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
10. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)