|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slavenka was raised to believe what about God?
(a) He was everywhere.
(b) He was great.
(c) He was forgiving.
(d) He did not exist.
2. Where was Evelina from?
3. When Zagreb's facade was improved, what concerned Slavenka?
(a) It looked like everywhere else.
(b) It was all in metal.
(c) It looked the same.
(d) It still displayed Communist symbols.
4. What did the revolution in Zagreb, Croatia lack?
(a) A leader.
5. What did Castro claim hurt the environment?
(a) Public dances.
(d) Jet fuel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slavenka believed that those under Communism wore what metaphorical color?
2. In 1987, what did Castro limit the ownership of?
3. When Slavenka attended midnight mass, what was the focus of the sermon?
4. In "How We Survived Communism", why did Vesna's mother prevent her from throwing stockings away?
5. In Communist countries, who provided for the poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
2. Why was the difference between Western and Eastern feminist movements so great?
3. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
4. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
5. What affected Slavenka emotionally, during her first midnight mass?
6. Why was Slavenka disturbed by the sermon she heard at her first midnight mass?
7. What did Slavenka suspect about the homeless in New York?
8. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
9. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
10. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)