|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", Croatia's president issued what decree?
(a) Surrender all illegal arms.
(b) Food will be sanctioned.
(c) Men will fight for their country.
(d) Women will fight for their country.
2. What did Castro claim hurt the environment?
(b) Jet fuel.
(d) Public dances.
3. Under Communism, Slavenka knew Croatia would never what?
(a) Sacrifice its people.
(c) Become poor.
(d) Get attacked.
4. What continued to surprise Slavenka as she lived in the United States?
(a) The cost of wheat.
(b) The faltering government.
(c) The taste of coffee.
(d) The variety of choice.
5. What was significant about the new facade in Budapest?
(a) It inspired.
(b) It turned to gold.
(c) It fell apart.
(d) It was torn down.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "How We Survived Communism", what useless item did Vesna's mother spend time washing?
2. After Slavenka's speech on "the velvet revolution", who got in touch with her?
3. In 1990, Slavenka finally made peace with what?
4. In "How We Survived Communism", what did both Slavenka and Vesna's mother like about foreign products?
5. What did the revolution in Zagreb, Croatia lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
2. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
3. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
4. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", why were the shelves in many stores bare?
5. What did Slavenka suspect about the homeless in New York?
6. What was the reaction of the audience to Slavenka's speech on the state of women after the "velvet revolution"?
7. How did Slavenka define the "communist eye"?
8. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
9. According to Castro, why did he attempt to limit automobiles to less than one per person?
10. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)