|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", what did Slavenka say regarding Communist women and public discourse?
(a) Everyone invented theories.
(b) Everyone had the same opinion.
(c) No one talked.
(d) Everyone argued.
2. When Zagreb's facade was improved, what concerned Slavenka?
(a) It looked like everywhere else.
(b) It still displayed Communist symbols.
(c) It looked the same.
(d) It was all in metal.
3. In 1990, Slavenka finally made peace with what?
(a) The rebellion of her daughter.
(b) The death of her parents.
(c) The possibility of famine.
(d) The idea of war.
4. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
(a) His sister.
(c) The church.
(d) The state.
5. When Slavenka attended midnight mass, what was the focus of the sermon?
(a) Being good to the state.
(b) Everyone is still equal.
(c) Forgiving family members.
(d) God has liberated the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the condition of feminism in Eastern Europe, following the fall of Communism?
2. Slavenka believed that what was an endangered species under Communism?
3. In Slavenka's opinion, what type of influence did women have in Eastern Europe?
4. In "A Communist Eye...", what food item did Slavenka almost pick up?
5. After Slavenka's speech on "the velvet revolution", who got in touch with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did charity not exist under socialism?
2. What items had Vesna's mother been known to collect?
3. Why was Slavenka surprised with herself when she tried to pick a good muffin off the ground in New York?
4. Why did Slavenka feel right-wing after her speech in "A Letter from the United States..."?
5. In "Some Doubt about Fur Coats", why did Slavenka feel guilty about wearing a fur coat?
6. What happened to the new facade in Budapest?
7. In "The Day They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka come to terms with the idea of the impending war?
8. On the eighth day of the Gulf War, what happened that affected Slavenka?
9. According to Slavenka, what was the effect of Communism on her country?
10. Why was Slavenka concerned at the rapid rate at which the European cities freed from Communism were remodeled?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)