|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Slavenka's daughter admire about America?
(a) The abundance of nature.
(b) The focus on education.
(c) Freedom and money.
(d) Happiness in poverty.
2. What did Tanja choose to do, following her pregnancy?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Get an abortion.
(c) Give the baby up for adoption.
(d) Move to the United States.
3. When did Slavenka see Tanja for the last time?
(a) A week before the suicide.
(b) A day before the suicide.
(c) A year before the suicide.
(d) The day of her death.
4. What did Tadeusz fight for in Poland?
(c) Women's rights.
(d) The solidary movement.
5. What year did Slavenka and Ulrike meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Our Little Stasi", what made it difficult for Slavenka to pay her bills?
2. Where did Ulrike eventually settle?
3. During Communist times, why did people trade space in their apartments?
4. What product did Slavenka attempt to get her daughter to use, to much objection?
5. What did Alemka do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Slavenka disgusted by the idea of natural make-up when she saw it in the United States?
2. When Zsuzsa got a divorce, what inequality between her and her husband was she concerned with?
3. Where did Ulrike live when she was released from prison?
4. What pained Slavenka in a memory of her grandmother?
5. In order to have a positive future, the people of Eastern Europe had to learn to do what?
6. Why was Slavenka disappointed after the fall of Communism?
7. Why did the Communists prevent women from wearing make-up?
8. Why did people trade space in their apartments?
9. After the fall of Communism, what topics were discussed openly at dinner parties?
10. Why were the people of the former communistic society surprised when they were allowed to own things?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)