|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What simple appliance was Slavenka's friend Blaga unaware of?
(a) A refrigerator.
(b) A dryer.
(c) A washing machine.
(d) A dishwasher.
2. For work, who was Slavenka forced to meet with?
(a) A Censor.
(b) Troubled teens.
(c) Drug addicts.
(d) The president.
3. How old was Andrea when Slavenka was her close friend?
4. Who was Danuta forced to support?
(a) Her sister's children.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her four kids.
(d) Her husband.
5. Time magazine reported that Eastern European women did what the same as they had fifty years ago?
(c) Make bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alemka do for a living?
2. What city shocked Slavenka with its variety of food?
3. During Communist rule, why did many Eastern Europeans eat soup?
4. What delicacy did Slavenka purchase in Prague?
5. What response did Tanja's article against socialism receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Communists prevent women from wearing make-up?
2. Why did people trade space in their apartments?
3. Why was Slavenka concerned at the way the Communism era was depicted to tourists in East Berlin?
4. What were the living conditions for those living under communist rule?
5. What pained Slavenka in a memory of her grandmother?
6. Why was it considered luxurious not to eat, following the fall of Communism?
7. Why was Slavenka concerned that Americans could not imagine what it would be like to live in a Communist society?
8. Why was Slavenka worried about some of the things she taught her daughter?
9. Under the Communist rule, why did the young people of Eastern Europe have little hope for a better life?
10. How did Tanja's lover die?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)