|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under Communism, what did the Croatian leaders attempt to do?
(a) Inspire self-sufficiency.
(b) Sustain everyone.
(c) Use food as a weapon.
(d) Inspire creativity.
2. In "A Communist Eye...", who was Slavenka startled to see living on the street?
(a) Rich people.
(b) Homeless people.
3. During her speech in "A Letter from the United States...", Slavenka says communism failed due to a lack of what?
(a) Government support.
(b) Female support.
(d) Male support.
4. In 1990, what two countries split from Yugoslavia?
(a) Bosnia and Herzegovina.
(b) Croatia and Macedonia.
(c) Croatia and Slovenia.
(d) Romania and Bosnia.
5. Where was Evelina from?
6. What war did Slavenka watch during "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin"?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) Croatia's Civil war.
(c) The Gulf War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
7. In 1990, Slavenka finally made peace with what?
(a) The possibility of famine.
(b) The death of her parents.
(c) The idea of war.
(d) The rebellion of her daughter.
8. In "How We Survived Communism", Slavenka said that a country is only capable of providing for its citizens for how long?
(a) 1 years.
(b) 10 years.
(d) 40 years.
9. Slavenka sees what as the only outcome of war?
(a) Massive death.
10. Slavenka was raised to believe what about God?
(a) He was great.
(b) He was forgiving.
(c) He was everywhere.
(d) He did not exist.
11. In "A Letter from the United States...", what group did Slavenka say was somewhat radical?
(a) The state police.
(b) Western feminists.
(c) "The Poets".
(d) Eastern feminists.
12. What was considered absurd, in a Communist country?
13. What was significant about the new facade in Budapest?
(a) It inspired.
(b) It was torn down.
(c) It fell apart.
(d) It turned to gold.
14. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", Slavenka was concerned that the decree from the new Croatian president would cause what?
(a) International strife.
(d) A revolt.
15. What was missing from Slavenka's father's funeral?
(a) A priest.
(c) A grave.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Communist Eye...", Slavenka believed that beggars were lying about what?
2. Slavenka believed that those under Communism wore what metaphorical color?
3. After Slavenka's speech on "the velvet revolution", who got in touch with her?
4. Slavenka believed that what was an endangered species under Communism?
5. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)