|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", Slavenka was asked to speak on what?
(a) "Theoretical Theory".
(b) "Deep Thought".
(c) "Inventive Theory".
(d) "Critical Theory".
2. What group wanted to take political control during the strife in Yugoslavia?
(a) The Serbs.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Croatians.
3. What surprising item did Slavenka hold up, while speaking on the "velvet revolution"?
(a) A doll from childhood.
(b) Drug paraphernalia.
(c) A bottle of vodka.
(d) Sanitary products.
4. In Communist countries, who provided for the poor?
(a) The state.
(b) No one.
(c) The people.
(d) Their family.
5. In "A Letter from the United States...", what symbol represented freedom to Slavenka?
(b) A ham sandwich.
(d) A fur coat.
6. In "A Letter from the United States...", what group did Slavenka say was somewhat radical?
(a) Western feminists.
(b) "The Poets".
(c) The state police.
(d) Eastern feminists.
7. In 1990, Slavenka finally made peace with what?
(a) The rebellion of her daughter.
(b) The possibility of famine.
(c) The death of her parents.
(d) The idea of war.
8. What did Castro claim hurt the environment?
(b) Jet fuel.
(c) Public dances.
9. In "How We Survived Communism", what useless item did Vesna's mother spend time washing?
(a) Bottle caps.
(b) Her car.
(c) Yogurt cups.
10. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", how did Slavenka feel about the idea of war?
11. What programmed Slavenka to grab food whenever she could?
(d) The Depression.
12. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", whose death inspired nationalism?
13. After Slavenka's speech on "the velvet revolution", who got in touch with her?
(a) The president.
(b) Television reporters.
(c) An author.
(d) The state police.
14. During her speech in "A Letter from the United States...", Slavenka says communism failed due to a lack of what?
(a) Female support.
(c) Government support.
(d) Male support.
15. What did the revolution in Zagreb, Croatia lack?
(d) A leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1990, what two countries split from Yugoslavia?
2. In "A Communist Eye...", who was Slavenka startled to see living on the street?
3. In "A Letter from the United States...", what was Slavenka asked to speak on?
4. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", what news channel did Slavenka watch?
5. In "A Communist Eye...", what food item did Slavenka almost pick up?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)