|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Letter from the United States...", what did Slavenka say regarding Communist women and public discourse?
(a) Everyone argued.
(b) Everyone invented theories.
(c) Everyone had the same opinion.
(d) No one talked.
2. In "How We Survived Communism", what happened to Vesna's stockings?
(a) They got stolen.
(b) They tore.
(c) They attracted bugs.
(d) They turned red.
3. What was Slavenka's mother able to recite at the midnight mass?
(a) The liturgy.
(b) The patron saints.
(c) The Lord's Prayer.
(d) The books of the bible.
4. What did not exist under socialism?
(a) Class systems.
(b) All of these.
(d) Massive wealth.
5. Why did Slavenka leave midnight mass?
(a) She became frustrated.
(b) To be home by curfew.
(c) Her father fell ill.
(d) Her mother fell ill.
6. What did Castro claim hurt the environment?
(a) Public dances.
(d) Jet fuel.
7. In "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin", whose death inspired nationalism?
8. In "A Communist Eye...", who was Slavenka startled to see living on the street?
(a) Homeless people.
(d) Rich people.
9. In Croatia, when did the citizens begin to celebrate Christmas once again?
10. In what country is Castro a leader?
11. In Slavenka's opinion, what type of influence did women have in Eastern Europe?
(b) It depended on their purse strings.
12. What did Vesna think of her mother's Communist mentality?
(a) It was wise.
(b) It was boring.
(c) It was silly.
(d) It was understandable.
13. What war did Slavenka watch during "The Day When They Say That War Will Begin"?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) The Gulf War.
(c) Croatia's Civil war.
(d) The Korean War.
14. In 1987, what did Castro limit the ownership of?
15. Who did Slavenka's father make peace with, prior to his death?
(a) The state.
(b) His sister.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slavenka believed that what was an endangered species under Communism?
2. What was considered absurd, in a Communist country?
3. In 1990, what two countries split from Yugoslavia?
4. Vesna's mother believed that what helped her to survive Communism?
5. Once they had the right to vote, the people in Zagreb had little interest in doing what?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)