|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Slavenka visit East Berlin in "A Doll that Grew Old"?
(a) To shop.
(b) To visit a prison.
(c) To visit a friend.
(d) To take pictures.
2. Why did the Croatian government watch Slavenka?
(a) All of these.
(b) She was a feminist.
(c) She had friends outside the country.
(d) She had friends against the State.
3. Who did Eastern European women blame for their troubles?
(a) The govenment.
(b) Their parents.
(c) No one.
(d) Their friends.
4. Slavenka was disappointed when she realized she was teaching her daughter what?
(a) Capitalist ideals.
(d) Communist ideals.
5. What does the author think about the title of her book?
(a) It is inaptly named.
(b) It is perfect.
(c) It is embarrassing.
(d) It is funny.
6. What did Slavenka remember about her mother's beauty regimen?
(a) The amount of perfume she wore.
(b) The lack of supplies.
(c) It was overdone.
(d) That it took forever.
7. What happened to Ulrike after a year in prison?
(a) She lost her mind.
(b) She developed polio.
(c) She learned English.
(d) She lost her hair.
8. Where did Ulrike eventually settle?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) Iowa City.
9. What did Slavenka's daughter admire about America?
(a) Freedom and money.
(b) Happiness in poverty.
(c) The abundance of nature.
(d) The focus on education.
10. When did Croatia become a democracy?
(a) After the fall of the Berlin Wall.
(d) Before World War II.
11. Where did Slavenka fly to on June 27, 1991?
(a) New York.
12. What did Alemka do for a living?
(c) State police.
13. What did Tadeusz fight for in Poland?
(b) The solidary movement.
(d) Women's rights.
14. Under Communist rule, how big were the apartments most young professionals lived in?
(a) Same size as in the U.S.
(b) Three bedroom.
(d) Very small.
15. How old was Andrea when Slavenka was her close friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did America represent to Slavenka?
2. What important Yugoslavian political figure died in 1980?
3. What city shocked Slavenka with its variety of food?
4. Slavenka raised her daughter to be a what?
5. What was one of the problems in Zsuzsa and Istvan's marriage?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)