|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the people of Eastern Europe feel about the collapse of Communism?
(a) Excited but confused.
(d) They did not care.
2. Under Communist rule, how big were the apartments most young professionals lived in?
(a) Very small.
(b) Three bedroom.
(d) Same size as in the U.S.
3. Slavenka was shocked to see what favorite food available in thirty varieties?
4. Under Communist rule, what was the problem with the apartment situation?
(a) They were small.
(b) They were in short supply.
(c) Many had to be shared.
(d) All of these.
5. What mentality permeated the people of Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism?
6. Why were cleaning services forbidden in Communist times?
(a) They bred laziness.
(b) They did not do the job well.
(c) They cost too much.
(d) They bred inequality.
7. As a child, what form of transportation did Slavenka take on a visit to Italy?
(a) A bus.
(b) A car.
(c) A plane.
(d) A boat.
8. Who was forced to abandon Ulrike due to her time in prison?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her church.
9. What was Tanja forbidden to do, following her article against socialism?
(b) Speak in public.
(c) Get married.
(d) Leave the country.
10. During Communist times, why did people trade space in their apartments?
(a) To make money.
(b) To own something.
(c) There was a lot of extra room.
(d) To be kind.
11. What did Andrea do for a living?
12. When Communism fell, what did the women in Eastern Europe try to do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Start equality clubs.
(c) Create a unique look.
(d) Dress alike.
13. Why did the Communist state want to create a uniform, physical appearance amongst women?
(a) To confuse them.
(b) To create equality.
(c) To shame them.
(d) To prevent pregnancy.
14. Why did Slavenka buy a doll in East Berlin?
(a) It reminded her of childhood.
(b) It was ugly.
(c) It was cheap.
(d) To give to charity.
15. How long were Zsuzsa and Istvan married?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 13 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Slavenka and Ulrike meet?
2. How old was Andrea when Slavenka was her close friend?
3. What city shocked Slavenka with its variety of food?
4. During Communist rule, why did many Eastern Europeans eat soup?
5. What kind of party did Slavenka and Evelina host together?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)