|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Slavenka buy a doll in East Berlin?
(a) To give to charity.
(b) It was cheap.
(c) It was ugly.
(d) It reminded her of childhood.
2. Time magazine reported that Eastern European women did what the same as they had fifty years ago?
(d) Make bread.
3. For work, who was Slavenka forced to meet with?
(a) The president.
(b) Troubled teens.
(c) Drug addicts.
(d) A Censor.
4. In 1980, what did the people of Yugoslavia fear?
(a) All of these.
5. What did Tadeusz fight for in Poland?
(a) Women's rights.
(d) The solidary movement.
6. Why did the Croatian government watch Slavenka?
(a) All of these.
(b) She had friends against the State.
(c) She was a feminist.
(d) She had friends outside the country.
7. What happened to Ulrike after a year in prison?
(a) She learned English.
(b) She developed polio.
(c) She lost her mind.
(d) She lost her hair.
8. Under Communist rule, who supported the young and unemployed?
(a) No one.
(b) The parents.
(c) Local charities.
(d) They were self-supported.
9. What did America represent to Slavenka?
10. At the beginning of "Pizza in Warsaw, Torte in Prague", where did Slavenka and Jolanta go for a visit?
(a) The laundromat.
(b) New York City.
(c) A pizza place.
(d) A dance hall.
11. Who did Andrea live with?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her husband.
(c) A friend.
(d) Her father.
12. What was Tanja forbidden to do, following her article against socialism?
(b) Get married.
(c) Speak in public.
(d) Leave the country.
13. What mentality permeated the people of Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism?
14. What brand of toilet paper did Slavenka use as a child?
15. Where did Ulrike meet her husband?
(b) West Berlin.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Slavenka fly to on June 27, 1991?
2. What delicacy did Slavenka purchase in Prague?
3. What did Slavenka's daughter admire about America?
4. Due to a Communist mind-set, what did Tanja lack?
5. What important Yugoslavian political figure died in 1980?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)