|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims in the Epilogue, “I will not allow a specialist to decide” what?
2. What is the third of the three main stages of HIV?
3. What autobiography did Lewis Thomas publish?
4. When was Percival Pott born?
5. Where was Leo Tolstoy from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What author does Dr. Nuland cite in Chapter 12? Why?
2. How is the progression of AIDS described in Chapter 9?
3. Why does the author use chimney sweeps as an example in Chapter 10?
4. What does the author state regarding dignity in death in the Epilogue?
5. What made Robert DeMatteis memorable to Dr. Nuland as a patient?
6. What article by Percival Pott is described in Chapter 10? What does Dr. Nuland conclude regarding the article?
7. What does the author relate regarding one’s quality of life in the Epilogue?
8. Why is understanding the finite quality of life important, according to Dr. Sherwin B. Nuland?
9. According to the author in Chapter 11, what is most often the influencing factor in treating the terminally ill?
10. What does the author caution the reader against in Chapter 12? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the mythology of dying. What authors, mythologies and religions does the author cite in his discussion of rituals and customs surrounding death? How has death been perceived by different cultures? Are any of these customs and beliefs considered more attainable than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss ischemic heart disease. What are the symptoms, methods of diagnosis, and prognosis for individuals with ischemic heart disease? How do statistics differ for those treated and untreated for the disease? Who is at greatest risk for this disease?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characteristics of James McCarty in Chapter 1. What evidence described by the author indicates that McCarty was prone to heart problems? How did Dr. Nuland respond when McCarty had a heart attack? What medical procedure was performed?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)