|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 8, what percentage of the National Institutes of Health approximately $9 billion budget goes to the study of HIV?
2. What term refers to a type of white blood cell in the vertebrate immune system?
3. Harold Bliss was the first documented case of death by what means?
(a) Radiation exposure.
(b) Allergic reaction.
(c) Automotive accident.
4. What word in Chapter 7 refers to a condition of severely deficient supply of oxygen to the body that arises from being unable to breathe normally?
5. The author claims in the Epilogue, “I will not allow a specialist to decide” what?
(a) “When to begin treatment.”
(b) “How to begin treatment.”
(c) “Who lives and who dies.”
(d) “When to let go.”
6. What is the title of Chapter 8 in the book?
(a) “A Story of AIDS.”
(b) “Murder and Serenity.”
(c) “Alzheimer’s Disease.”
(d) “Three Score and Ten.”
7. What word from Chapter 10 refers to any abnormal new growth of tissue, or tumor?
8. What is the title of Chapter 7?
(a) “A Strangled Heart.”
(b) “Three Score and Ten.”
(c) “The Life of a Virus and the Death of a Man.”
(d) "Accidents, Suicide, and Euthanasia."
9. In what year was Ishmael Garcia diagnosed with HIV?
10. The author states in the Epilogue, “For those who die and those who love them, a realistic expectation is the surest path to” what?
11. The medical etymology of the term cancer can be traced back to the days of whom, according to Dr. Nuland in Chapter 10?
12. According to the author in Chapter 12, “The Hippocratic philosophy of medicine declares that nothing should be more important to a physician than” what?
(a) The total curing of a disease.
(b) The best interests of the patient.
(c) A continuous study of medicine.
(d) Treating only patients with insurance.
13. Where was William Osler born?
14. According to the author in Chapter 12, “Death belongs to the dying and” who?
(a) “Those who insure them.”
(b) “Those who love them.”
(d) “Their beneficiaries.”
15. How much did Robert DeMatteis weigh, according to the author in Chapter 11?
(a) 150 lbs.
(b) 245 lbs.
(c) 185 lbs.
(d) 320 lbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third of the three main stages of HIV?
2. AIDS was first recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in what year?
3. Incidents of tuberculosis in AIDS patients are said to be how many times greater than non-AIDS related cases?
4. What refers to the treatment of cancer with an antineoplastic drug or with a combination of such drugs into a standardized treatment regimen?
5. What term from Chapter 7 refers to less than full mental capacity in a medical patient?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)