|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The medical etymology of the term cancer can be traced back to the days of whom, according to Dr. Nuland in Chapter 10?
2. What is Chapter 9’s title in the book?
(a) “The Life of a Virus and the Death of a Man.”
(b) “Murder and Serenity.”
(c) “A Valentine—and How it Fails.”
(d) “Doors to Death of the Aged.”
3. Who discovered and studied the tobacco mosaic virus in 1892?
(a) Lillian Hellman.
(b) John Webster.
(c) Dmitri Ivanovsky.
(d) William Caxton.
4. What does PCOD stand for in the text?
(a) Primary cause of death.
(b) Primary cause of distress.
(c) Primary cause of dementia.
(d) Primary cause of disease.
5. Robert DeMatteis only accepted treatment for his cancer at the urging of whom?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His daughter.
6. What is the protagonist’s profession in The Water-Babies, A Fairy Tale for a Land Baby?
7. What are the most common neurological problems associated with HIV?
(a) Schizophrenia and depression.
(b) Chronic depression and anxiety disorders.
(c) Advanced Alzheimer’s disease.
(d) AIDS dementia and toxoplasmosis.
8. How old was Robert DeMatteis, as described in Chapter 11?
9. What refers to a DNA molecule that is separate from and can replicate independently of the chromosomal DNA?
10. Where was William Osler born?
11. What does Dr. Nuland say influenced the medical decisions he made in his brother's care in Chapter 11?
12. Robert DeMatteis’s determination to not lose what made him stand out in Dr. Nuland’s mind?
(a) His greatest talent.
(b) His positive outlook.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) The best part of himself.
13. How many children did Ishmael Garcia have?
14. What is the title of Chapter 12?
(a) “A Strangled Heart.”
(b) “A Valentine—and How it Fails.”
(c) “The Life of a Virus and the Death of a Man.”
(d) “Lessons Learned.”
15. What word from Chapter 10 refers to any abnormal new growth of tissue, or tumor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the treatment of cancer with an antineoplastic drug or with a combination of such drugs into a standardized treatment regimen?
2. The protagonist of The Water-Babies, A Fairy Tale for a Land Baby falls into a river after encountering what upper-class girl?
3. What is a common refrain of doctors and nurses in the treatment of the terminally ill, according to the author in Chapter 11?
4. According to the author in Chapter 12, “Death belongs to the dying and” who?
5. What refers to a disease outbreak, which presents over a large area and is actively spreading?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)