|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 4, whereas a young person might have been able to fight off or change the course of illness, the elderly are attacked when the body's parts-replacement process is what?
(a) At its limit.
(b) At its weakest.
(c) No longer functioning.
(d) In overdrive.
2. What was written in Robert DeMatteis’s epitaph, according to the author in Chapter 11?
(a) And it was always said of him that he would give you the shirt off his back.
(b) And it was always said of him that he loved all children.
(c) And it was always said of him that he knew how to keep Christmas well.
(d) And it was always said of him that he was the nicest man you could ever meet.
3. What is the first of the seven most common causes of death for 85% of the elderly population, as discussed in Chapter 4?
(a) Transient ischemic attack.
(b) Alzheimer’s Disease and dementia.
(c) Decreased resistance to infection.
4. The word “virus” derives from the Latin “virus,” which means what?
5. Who was the first physician to correctly diagnose myocardial infarction?
(a) Sherwin B. Nuland, M.D.
(b) Dmitri Ivanovsky.
(c) Lillian Hellman.
(d) Adam Hammer, M.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term from Chapter 6 refers to something pertaining to or symptomatic of agony, especially paroxysmal distress, as the death throes?
2. What is the name of Janet Whiting’s husband described in Chapter 5?
3. According to the author in Chapter 1, James McCarty was the picture of what when he was admitted to the university hospital?
4. What word used in Chapter 4 refers to a serious loss of global cognitive ability in a previously unimpaired person, beyond what might be expected from normal aging?
5. In what year was Ishmael Garcia discovered to have contracted meningitis and several bacterial infections, according to the author in Chapter 8?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)