|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the woman that the author described having operated on for early-stage breast cancer in the Introduction?
2. According to Dr. Nuland in Chapter 3, the molecules in a living organism are what?
(a) Subject to mutation.
(d) Not subject to mutation.
3. Horace Giddens is a character in a play written by whom?
(a) Phil Whiting.
(b) Rainer Maria Rilke.
(c) William Caxton.
(d) Lillian Hellman.
4. All but how many names were changed in the stories shared by the author in How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter?
5. Where does author Sherwin B. Nuland, M.D. teach surgery and the history of medicine, according to the book’s Introduction?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Yale College.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Stanford University.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Latin term does the author use to describe the “art of dying” in the Introduction?
2. At the time the book was written, Dr. Nuland claimed that nearly how many Americans would die every day of ischemia?
3. The human heart has a mass between how many grams?
4. Dr. Nuland was in what year of his medical studies when he encountered James McCarty?
5. Where was Irv Lipsiner when he suffered from complete cardiac heart failure, according to the author in Chapter 1?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)