|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Charles examines the book from the future, which is part autobiography and part what?
2. In Chapter 24, Charles gets a call from whom, but TAMMY tells him not to take it because he is stuck in a time loop?
3. Charles's father makes the discovery that what can be a time machine in Chapter 24?
4. In Chapter 18, Charles cannot see why he should not just jump forward in time, to when what is finished?
5. Chapter 19 shows Charles opening the time capsule hatch and finding what message?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by Charles and his father being unable to land the machine in Chapter 22?
2. What does Charles discover in the box from his mother in Chapter 28?
3. What is metaphorical about Charles's and his father's discovery about time travel in Chapter 22?
4. Where are Charles and his father in the memory in Chapter 25?
5. What is symbolized by Charles's father's second machine described in Chapter 26?
6. What theory is described in the excerpt called "decoherence and wave function collapse"?
7. How is the theme of memory embodied in Chapter 16?
8. How is Charles's book from the future metaphorical for memory?
9. Why much Charles refocus his efforts in Chapter 27?
10. What is the author's statement about contemporary life in Chapter 30? How is this symbolized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of the narrator's mother in the novel. In what state is the mother trapped in and how did she get that way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character development of Charles in the narrative and his actions in Chapters 18 and 19. Why does Charles choose to go to the end of the book and what happens when he does?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of emotional expression in the novel. How does Charles differ from TAMMY in his emotional responses? How does his mother's reaction in Chapter 23 reflect this theme?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)