|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles had punished his father with silence for how long after his mother left the home?
2. Near Charles in the beginning of Chapter 20, he sees what familiar-seeming objects?
3. An excerpt called "residual objects in closed time-like curves" describes the hypothetical "Book from _____."
4. In Chapter 18, Charles cannot see why he should not just jump forward in time, to when what is finished?
5. In Chapter 20, Charles realizes that the shoes he had seen belonged to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized through the shuttle driver in Chapter 20?
2. What is metaphorical about Charles's discoveries in Chapter 28?
3. What is the author's statement about contemporary life in Chapter 30? How is this symbolized?
4. How is the theme of memory embodied in Chapter 16?
5. Why much Charles refocus his efforts in Chapter 27?
6. What is symbolized by Charles's experience of nothingness in Chapter 19?
7. What discoveries does Charles make of his childhood in Chapter 21?
8. What theory is described in the excerpt called "decoherence and wave function collapse"?
9. What does the excerpt titled "Wineberg-Takayma Radius" discuss?
10. How is the director described in Chapter 25? What does Charles's father tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the narrative style and setting of the novel. In what person and tense is the narrative written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of Buddhism in the novel. How do Buddhist philosophies play into the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of emotional expression in the novel. How does Charles differ from TAMMY in his emotional responses? How does his mother's reaction in Chapter 23 reflect this theme?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)