|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the groove in the side of the book open to in Chapter 28?
2. The morning after Charles and his father meet with the institute director, his father does what?
3. In Charles's handwriting, the book in Chapter 16 is inscribed with the admonition to read it, and then write it, which will do what?
4. The excerpt "theorems, miscellaneous" contains only the statement that sooner or later, a time will come when the next day, a person will what?
5. Charles thinks in Chapter 20 of how his mother always would ask for what in an utterly unembarrassed way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by Charles and his father being unable to land the machine in Chapter 22?
2. How is the director described in Chapter 25? What does Charles's father tell him?
3. What theory is described in the excerpt called "decoherence and wave function collapse"?
4. What is symbolized through the shuttle driver in Chapter 20?
5. What is described in the excerpt "residual objects in closed time-like curves"?
6. Why is the setting of Chapters 20 and 21 important?
7. What discovery did Charles and his father make about time travel in Charles's memory in Chapter 22?
8. What is symbolized when Charles watches his mother's reaction in Chapter 23?
9. Where are Charles and his father in the memory in Chapter 25?
10. What is metaphorical about Charles's and his father's discovery about time travel in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the UTM-1 and the theories presented in the excerpt titled "Wineberg-Takayma Radius." What proposition does the excerpt present?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Loop City in the narrative. How does Loop City reflect the cities of our world today?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theory of "chronodiegetics" and the relationship between time and literature in the novel. How is literary narrative symbolized?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)