|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, Charles falls screaming into an abyss, and then someone says he is in what?
2. What does Charles find inside the book by the page where the groove was in Chapter 28?
3. How old was Charles when the UTM-21 was developed?
4. The excerpt "conjectures, currently unproven but believed to be true" posits that a moment has measurable substance, there are fine numbers of moments, there is no global time, and ______ is a theory of regret and limitations.
5. What refers to knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by Charles's experience of nothingness in Chapter 19?
2. What does Charles discover using the key in Chapter 29?
3. How is the director described in Chapter 25? What does Charles's father tell him?
4. How is Charles's book from the future metaphorical for memory?
5. How does Charles describe his frame of mind in Chapters 20 and 21?
6. What does the excerpt titled "Wineberg-Takayma Radius" discuss?
7. What is described in the excerpt "residual objects in closed time-like curves"?
8. What discoveries does Charles make of his childhood in Chapter 21?
9. How are self-reflection and self improvement symbolized in Chapter 21?
10. What does Charles discover in the box from his mother in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the genre of metafiction and analyze the stylistic elements of the novel. How does the novel's style reflect metafiction?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the themes of time and memory in the novel. How are time and memory related, according to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of emotional expression in the novel. How does Charles differ from TAMMY in his emotional responses? How does his mother's reaction in Chapter 23 reflect this theme?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)