|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Charles claims to have had a one-night stand with a human-like creature once, but he has even given up coin-operated ____ because they're not much fun.
2. What does the narrator claim hurts him in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 11, after the TM-31 is put in a holding pattern because of traffic, the narrator leaves the capsule with who?
4. Who is credited in the beginning of the book for the quote, "Time does not flow. Other times are just special cases of other universes"?
5. What has the Tense Operator been set to for some time in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is TAMMY crying in Chapter 2?
2. What has caused the problem with the narrator's ship in Chapter 10? What is symbolic about this?
3. How is the narrator's existence metaphorical for contemporary society?
4. What problem does the narrator discover with his ship in Chapter 10?
5. What does the narrator advise to the client in Chapter 8? What is his assessment of his clients' desires?
6. Where is client the narrator contacts in Chapter 8? What did she use her time machine for?
7. How is the size of Universe 31 described in the novel?
8. What leads to Charles's outburst in Chapter 15? What does he discover on the ship?
9. What does the theme park in Loop City symbolize?
10. How are the setting and protagonist of the novel described in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss literary allusion in the narrative. From what film or literature does the character of Luke Skywalker arise?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of Buddhism in the novel. How do Buddhist philosophies play into the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Phil in the narrative. How does the narrator feel about Phil? What does Phil symbolize?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)