|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, the narrator notes that he has been in his time capsule for about how long?
2. What is on the lampshade pattern in Charles's memory with his father in the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 4, the protagonist says Universe 31 can be what at night when it is aglow and everyone is awake?
4. In Chapter 12, the narrator remembers being driven home from the park at what age by his father?
5. In Chapter 10, the narrator realizes he must return to corporate HQ for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has caused the problem with the narrator's ship in Chapter 10? What is symbolic about this?
2. How does the narrator describe Universe 31 at night? How big is his time capsule?
3. What is revealed about Universe 31 in the excerpt "reality, in relation to"?
4. How is the narrator's existence metaphorical for contemporary society?
5. What symbolism and foreshadowing can be seen as the narrator arrives in Loop City in Chapter 10?
6. What problem does the narrator discover with his ship in Chapter 10?
7. What is described in the excerpt "unfinished nature of"?
8. What robotic services are described in the excerpt "convenience, particular sadness of"?
9. How does the author explore the genre of metafiction in the novel?
10. Why is TAMMY crying in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss foreshadowing and symbolism in Chapter 10. What does the narrator seeing himself outside the time capsule foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of Buddhism in the novel. How do Buddhist philosophies play into the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Define the genre of metafiction and analyze the stylistic elements of the novel. How does the novel's style reflect metafiction?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)