|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what person is the book written?
2. Charles advises that if a person ever sees himself emerging from a time machine, he should do what?
3. In Chapter 12, the narrator remembers being driven home from the park at what age by his father?
4. Charles's mother gives him a wrapped box from where in Chapter 13?
5. What is on the lampshade pattern in Charles's memory with his father in the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the metaphor for time travel and its relation to the narrator's father in Chapter 3. What does the symbolism say about the narrator's father?
2. How is the size of Universe 31 described in the novel?
3. What does the theme park in Loop City symbolize?
4. How is nostalgia defined in the excerpt "nostalgia, underlying cosmological explanation for"?
5. What is revealed about Universe 31 in the excerpt "reality, in relation to"?
6. How are the setting and protagonist of the novel described in Chapter 1?
7. Who does the narrator describe in Chapter 7? How does he communicate with this person?
8. What robotic services are described in the excerpt "convenience, particular sadness of"?
9. What is revealed about the narrator in Chapter 14?
10. What is metaphorical about the narrator's visit to see his mother in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss literary allusion in the narrative. From what film or literature does the character of Luke Skywalker arise?
Essay Topic 2
Define the genre of metafiction and analyze the stylistic elements of the novel. How does the novel's style reflect metafiction?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the narrative style and setting of the novel. In what person and tense is the narrative written?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)