|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An excerpt, "convenience, particular sadness of," describes several services available in the city, including holograms of ex-girlfriends and what?
2. What has the Tense Operator been set to for some time in Chapter 1?
3. What refers to a rule or law, especially one expressed by an equation or formula?
4. In the "Chronodiegetical Schematic" which opens the book, what is the subtitle for "A Series"?
5. In Chapter 8, Charles tells the client she has used her time machine to go into an alternate past where she was present when who was dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe being in Loop City in Chapter 11?
2. How is the size of Universe 31 described in the novel?
3. What is metaphorical about the narrator's visit to see his mother in Chapter 13?
4. What does the narrator say his mother taught him in Chapter 13? What is significant about this?
5. What robotic services are described in the excerpt "convenience, particular sadness of"?
6. What is described in the excerpt "unfinished nature of"?
7. What is revealed about Universe 31 in the excerpt "reality, in relation to"?
8. How is the style of the book established through the table of contents and opening quotes?
9. How does the author explore the genre of metafiction in the novel?
10. What leads to Charles's outburst in Chapter 15? What does he discover on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of Buddhism in the novel. How do Buddhist philosophies play into the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character development of Charles in the narrative and his actions in Chapters 18 and 19. Why does Charles choose to go to the end of the book and what happens when he does?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characteristics of the narrator, TAMMY and Ed, and also discuss the isolation of the narrator. With whom does he have the most interaction?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)