|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The institution that Charles and his father are going to in Chapter 25 is an imposing building where?
(a) In the center of a wide valley.
(b) In the middle of the woods.
(c) Next to a river.
(d) On a hill above town.
2. Chapter 22 describes the first time-travel trip taken by Charles and his father which lasted how long?
(a) Seven minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Less than a minute.
(d) Five seconds.
3. Chapter 23 describes how the crash had the fortunate effect of eliminating the possibility of what?
(a) The time machine being used for evil.
(b) That two sets of themselves would then go forward in time.
(c) Being killed by their future selves.
(d) The prototype being mass produced.
4. How old was Charles when the UTM-21 was developed?
5. A book excerpt,"TM-31 calibration protocol," describes the calibration process as putting sensors on one's fingertips and waiting for how long?
(a) 35 seconds.
(b) 15 seconds.
(c) 85 seconds.
(d) 43 seconds.
Short Answer Questions
1. An excerpt called "residual objects in closed time-like curves" describes the hypothetical "Book from _____."
2. At Charles's request in Chapter 27, TAMMY calculates the probability of the occurrence discussed as once every how many years?
3. The excerpt "theorems, miscellaneous" contains only the statement that sooner or later, a time will come when the next day, a person will what?
4. In Chapter 21, Charles looks from the capsule and sees what that appears to be what giant object?
5. What time does the clock show in the scene of the kitchen in Charles's boyhood home in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discoveries does Charles make of his childhood in Chapter 21?
2. What is symbolized when Charles watches his mother's reaction in Chapter 23?
3. What happens when Charles's father begins to demonstrate the machine in Chapter 25? What is his reaction?
4. Why is the setting of Chapters 20 and 21 important?
5. Against whose advice does Charles jump to the end of the book in Chapter 18? Why?
6. What is symbolized by Charles's father's second machine described in Chapter 26?
7. What is described in the excerpt "residual objects in closed time-like curves"?
8. What is described in the excerpt "TM-31 calibration protocol"? How is this metaphorical?
9. How are self-reflection and self improvement symbolized in Chapter 21?
10. What does the excerpt titled "Wineberg-Takayma Radius" discuss?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)