|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles's father's theory described in Chapter 25 is that humans can tell they are in the present and are not simply remembering a past event because it is what?
(b) An evolutionary trait.
(c) A skill required for survival.
(d) Just daydreaming.
2. Chapter 19 shows Charles opening the time capsule hatch and finding what message?
(b) "Instructions for a happy life."
(c) "[this page left intentionally blank]."
(d) "I did the best I could."
3. What term means to face in hostility or defiance; oppose?
4. What does Charles experience at the end of Chapter 19?
5. TAMMY's software has no way of distinguishing exact patterns repeated within what?
(b) Space time.
(d) A set time frame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles ask the shuttle driver to pick up in Chapter 20?
2. What refers to change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift?
3. It occurs to Charles in Chapter 20 that desire is what?
4. In Chapter 20, the shuttle driver gets up, slaps Charles, kisses him, and then does what?
5. What does the woman in Chapter 20 tell Charles when he asks if his father is here?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Charles and his father in the memory in Chapter 25?
2. How does Charles describe his frame of mind in Chapters 20 and 21?
3. What is described in the excerpt "TM-31 calibration protocol"? How is this metaphorical?
4. What is metaphorical about Charles's discoveries in Chapter 28?
5. Against whose advice does Charles jump to the end of the book in Chapter 18? Why?
6. How is Charles's book from the future metaphorical for memory?
7. What happens when Charles's father begins to demonstrate the machine in Chapter 25? What is his reaction?
8. What does Charles discover using the key in Chapter 29?
9. What is the author's statement about contemporary life in Chapter 30? How is this symbolized?
10. What does the excerpt titled "Wineberg-Takayma Radius" discuss?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)