|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A book excerpt, "nostalgia, underlying cosmological explanation for," describes what as the human feeling of missing a familiar place never visited or fruitlessly longing to be another version of oneself?
2. In Chapter 13, Charles reflects that he is a momma's boy who learned what from his mother?
(d) Sign language.
3. In Chapter 8, Charles makes a call to a client where?
(a) San Diego.
4. Charles misused what device by cruising too often in Present Indefinite in Chapter 10?
(a) The Lazy Admiral.
(b) The Tense Operator.
(c) The Distracted Captain.
(d) The Drowsy Pilot.
5. A book excerpt, "reality, in relation to," says Universe 31 is what percent reality at the core?
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles stays in shape in his machine by lifting what as a weight?
2. Charles advises that if a person ever sees himself emerging from a time machine, he should do what?
3. In Chapter 15, where is Charles feeling throbbing pain?
4. The capital city of Universe 31 is how big in relation to the size of New York City?
5. An excerpt called "corporate ownership of" says Universe 31 was sold by its first owners to what company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator advise to the client in Chapter 8? What is his assessment of his clients' desires?
2. How does the narrator describe his mother in Chapter 3? What time period is she reliving?
3. What is revealed about Universe 31 in the excerpt "reality, in relation to"?
4. How does the narrator describe being in Loop City in Chapter 11?
5. What is the reality of the setting like in the novel? How does the author express the abstractions of the setting?
6. Discuss the metaphor for time travel and its relation to the narrator's father in Chapter 3. What does the symbolism say about the narrator's father?
7. What has caused the problem with the narrator's ship in Chapter 10? What is symbolic about this?
8. What robotic services are described in the excerpt "convenience, particular sadness of"?
9. How does the narrator describe Universe 31 at night? How big is his time capsule?
10. Where is client the narrator contacts in Chapter 8? What did she use her time machine for?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)