|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles knock over in his attempt to escape in Chapter 20?
(a) An urn.
(b) A sexbot.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A chair.
2. The morning after Charles and his father meet with the institute director, his father does what?
(a) Drives away and does not return all day.
(b) Works on the time machine.
(c) Destroys the time machine.
(d) Buys him breakfast.
3. In Chapter 30, Charles asks TAMMY how long they were in the loop and she replies that time never moved forward after he shot himself, because he tried to skip forward in time and entered what?
(a) A nebula.
(b) The void.
(c) The abyss.
(d) A black hole.
4. What refers to the final, utmost, or furthest boundary or point as to extent, amount, continuance, procedure, etc.?
5. In Chapter 19, the TM-31 begins to vibrate and what shakes loose?
(a) Part of the capsule's housing.
(b) A window.
(c) A control panel.
(d) The ventilation system.
6. What term means to face in hostility or defiance; oppose?
7. Charles and his father's main discovery in Chapter 22 is that time travel does what?
(a) Is evil.
(b) Is too dangerous.
(c) Is instantaneous.
(d) Takes up time.
8. What date does the wall calendar show in the scene of the kitchen in Charles's boyhood home in Chapter 28?
(a) May 1, 1989.
(b) June 27, 1983.
(c) April 14, 1986.
(d) January 7, 1985.
9. In Chapter 20, the shuttle driver gets up, slaps Charles, kisses him, and then does what?
(a) Stomps on his foot.
(b) Pushes him out of the shuttle.
(c) Shoots him in the head.
(d) Punches him in the stomach.
10. In Chapter 24, Charles's father says the equations indicate their machine is doing what?
(a) Colliding with other figures.
(b) Miscalculating time.
(c) Wasting energy.
(d) Producing radiation.
11. What refers to a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result?
12. In Appendix A, Charles is told to be angered by his father's explanation that he never intended to leave, but also be what?
13. Charles had punished his father with silence for how long after his mother left the home?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 9 days.
(c) 21 days.
(d) 14 days.
14. An excerpt titled "Wineberg-Takayma Radius" discusses the proposition that a universe must be no larger than a certain size if it is to produce what?
(a) A pure energy.
(c) A coherent, sustainable narration.
15. A book excerpt,"TM-31 calibration protocol," describes the calibration process as putting sensors on one's fingertips and waiting for how long?
(a) 15 seconds.
(b) 85 seconds.
(c) 35 seconds.
(d) 43 seconds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles see Ed gnawing on in Chapter 28?
2. In Charles's handwriting, the book in Chapter 16 is inscribed with the admonition to read it, and then write it, which will do what?
3. Near Charles in the beginning of Chapter 20, he sees what familiar-seeming objects?
4. An excerpt called "residual objects in closed time-like curves" describes the hypothetical "Book from _____."
5. What does Charles find inside the box in Chapter 28?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)