|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The capital city of Universe 31 is how big in relation to the size of New York City?
2. What is the name of the capital city of Universe 31?
(a) New Los Angeles/Lost Tokyo-2.
(b) San Francisco 4.
(c) New Angeles City/Old Mexico City.
(d) Space Hub Miami.
3. Charles and Ed view a street performance of what in Chapter 11?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Star Wars.
(c) Phantom of the Opera.
(d) The Big Bang.
4. In Chapter 4, the protagonist says Universe 31 can be what at night when it is aglow and everyone is awake?
5. The inhabitants of Universe 31 say it has a wide what, based on the concept of the place?
(a) Variety of life forms.
(b) Psychological scale.
(c) Political focus.
(d) Imagined space.
6. What does Charles's mother complain about when she speaks to him in Chapter 13?
(a) He needs a haircut.
(b) He calls too seldom.
(c) She feels old.
(d) Her time loop has grown boring.
7. In Chapter 9, Charles says time is a machine for converting pain into what that cannot be changed?
8. What is the most common nickname of the capital city of Universe 31?
(a) City of Rain.
(b) Loop City.
(c) Flat City.
(d) City of Light.
9. Phil, a middle-manager and Charles's supervisor at headquarters, is also what?
(a) A Catholic.
(b) A Mormon.
(c) A software program.
(d) A super intelligent space chimp.
10. Who is credited in the beginning of the book for the quote, "Everything we are is at every moment alive in us"?
(a) Luke Skywalker.
(b) Arthur Miller.
(c) David Hume.
(d) David Deutsch.
11. An excerpt, "convenience, particular sadness of," describes several services available in the city, including holograms of ex-girlfriends and what?
(a) Best friend robots.
(b) Drinking buddy robots.
(c) Fighting robots.
(d) Servant robots.
12. In Chapter 5, the protagonist recalls that when he played as a boy, everyone wanted to be whom?
(a) Luke Skywalker.
(b) Johnny Cash.
(c) Clint Eastwood.
(d) Hans Solo.
13. What refers to an expression or a proposition, often algebraic, asserting the equality of two quantities?
14. Charles's mother gives him a wrapped box from where in Chapter 13?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The garage.
(c) The attic.
(d) His closet.
15. A book excerpt, "reality, in relation to," says Universe 31 has a science fiction _____ wrapped around it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles rescued his dog as he was about to drift into what?
2. In Chapter 14, Charles awakens late and rushes where to get his repaired capsule?
3. In Chapter 9, the narrator returns in memory to his youth, when he watched his father make sketches of what?
4. In Chapter 13, the narrator is hit with the realization that he has let a decade slip away, but he doesn't feel like what?
5. In what person is the book written?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)