|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A book excerpt called "in the event you find yourself trapped in a time loop" gives the time loop victim advice, such as to look for the sequence of events in the loop, to accept blame for it, and to guard against entering what?
(a) An alternate universe.
(b) Magnetic fields.
(c) Hostile planets.
(d) Black holes.
2. In Chapter 9, the narrator returns in memory to his youth, when he watched his father make sketches of what?
(a) Various animals.
(b) Alternate universes.
3. Charles describes his job as part of what industry in Chapter 8?
(a) "The terrible memories industry."
(b) "The what went wrong industry."
(c) "The self-consciousness industry."
(d) "The pain and crying industry."
4. In Chapter 13, Charles reflects that he is a momma's boy who learned what from his mother?
(d) Sign language.
5. Before landing in Chapter 10, Charles sees a man who resembles himself, and he can see that the man's life is made entirely of what?
6. In Chapter 15, where is Charles feeling throbbing pain?
(a) His neck.
(b) His eye.
(c) His leg.
(d) His arm.
7. The continuing loop in which Charles's mother relives is of what?
(a) Watching her favorite movie.
(b) Giving birth to Charles.
(c) A Sunday dinner.
(d) Her wedding day.
8. What statement follows "When it happens, this is what happens" in the opening of the book?
(a) "I shoot myself."
(b) "I hate myself."
(c) "I love myself."
(d) "I forget myself."
9. What refers to a rule or law, especially one expressed by an equation or formula?
10. Who is credited in the beginning of the book for the quote, "Everything we are is at every moment alive in us"?
(a) Luke Skywalker.
(b) David Deutsch.
(c) Arthur Miller.
(d) David Hume.
11. Charles rescued his dog as he was about to drift into what?
(a) An asteroid.
(b) A lake.
(c) A nebula.
(d) A black hole.
12. In the "Chronodiegetical Schematic" which opens the book, what is the subtitle for "A Series"?
(a) "Tensed Theory of Time."
(b) "Tenseless Theory of Time."
(c) "Traditional Theory of Time."
(d) "Turbulent Theory of Time."
13. Who is not sure the capsule will make it back safely to headquarters in Chapter 10?
(b) Charles's father.
14. What refers to an array of data ordered such that individual items can be located with a single index or subscript?
15. In Chapter 4, the protagonist says Universe 31 can be what at night when it is aglow and everyone is awake?
Short Answer Questions
1. Phil warns Charles that his time machine is overdue for what in Chapter 7?
2. TM-31 is about the size of what?
3. A book excerpt, "nostalgia, underlying cosmological explanation for," describes what as the human feeling of missing a familiar place never visited or fruitlessly longing to be another version of oneself?
4. In Chapter 15, Phil tells Charles to return to headquarters and they will go out together for what?
5. An excerpt from "How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe", called "size of," describes Universe 31 as being smaller than what?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)