• The first section is called "(module ά)" and Chapter 1 begins with a description of the TM-31 Recreational Time Travel Device.
• The TM-31 Recreational Time Travel Device is a cramped capsule in which the character lives in what is called the Present-Indefinite, as he travels through time with his dog, Ed.
• Charles rescued Ed as the animal was about to drift into a black hole.
• Charles describes his job fixing time machines as an affiliate contractor for Time Warner Time, which owns and operates this "spatio-temporal structure and entertainment complex."
• The narrator introduces TAMMY, software that gives the TM-31 a personality and a digitalized face; TAMMY has an apologetic style as she thinks she is not a very good program.
• The narrator admits that he is lonely and tells a story about The Women I Never Married, who is every woman, but whom he decides to call Marie...
This section contains 2,878 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)