|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Proust's father take Proust when he was a child?
2. What is Proust's narrator suddenly filled with after he eats some cake in "In Search of Lost Time"?
3. Who is the unhappy young boy a reflection of in "In Search of Lost Time"?
4. What are Proust's quotations on friendships like?
5. Who rejected the story about the unsatisfied young boy from being published?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the real artist Jean-Baptiste Chardin to Proust's fictional character, Elstir, in "In Search of Lost Time".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the solutions Proust gives to lovers to have a successful relationship. What irony exists between Proust's life and his advice on relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Proust viewed cliched and trite expressions and why he feels as strongly as he does about them.
This section contains 169 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)