|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months later did Proust die after responding to the newspaper's poll?
2. What did Proust refuse from the doctors on his deathbed?
3. What type of physical attacks did Proust have growing up?
4. What does De Botton say to suggest it makes sense for De Botton to become an author?
5. What was the title of Proust's novel that gave him international acclaim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Proust feel jealousy had the power to do?
2. Discuss what question De Botton details that the L'Intransigeant asked in one of its polls?
3. What solutions does Proust offer lover's to keep their love alive?
4. Describe Proust's childhood experience at the brothel.
5. How did Proust's lifestyle contradict his prompts to his readers?
6. How did Proust's friends feel about Proust's relationship with his mother?
7. Who is John Ruskin?
8. Why was it fitting that Proust became a writer?
9. What question does De Botton wonder about the artist and his work?
10. What was Proust's father like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the reasons Proust gives for humans falling in and out of love.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what purpose and benefits Proust argues books serve to humans and their experience in life. Discuss the list of pros and cons he gives to reading.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and explain the relationship and connection Proust had with author John Ruskin and how his work helped shape Proust's view of writing, reading and himself as an author.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)