|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Proust's main passions?
2. How many years had it been since Proust visited the Louvre when he responded to the newspaper's poll?
3. What did Proust refuse from the doctors on his deathbed?
4. What was Proust's father in particularly concerned with?
5. What was Proust rarely exposed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Proust argue was most couple's problem falling out of love?
2. What was Proust's problem and difficulty with friendship?
3. What does De Botton reason the finger placing ability evokes in its readers?
4. Why did Proust write in such long-winded form?
5. What question is asked in Chapter 9?
6. What was Proust's passion?
7. What does Proust say about friendship in the quotes De Botton gives in Chapter 6?
8. What is Proust's overall point in his opinion on abbreviation?
9. How did Proust feel about Claude Monet?
10. Describe Proust's mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss Proust's opinion on newspapers and what happened to make him feel the way he does about them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and describe how it is congruent with Proust's character for him to appreciate and value Impressionist art.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain the reasons Proust gives for humans falling in and out of love.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)