|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does De Botton believe Proust felt about his father?
2. What did Proust refuse from the doctors on his deathbed?
3. Which of the following people were not mentioned to have responded to the newspaper's poll?
4. What did Proust repress in his life?
5. At the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what was the title of the newspaper De Botton analyzes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Proust's lifestyle contradict his prompts to his readers?
2. What did Proust believe painter's were capable of?
3. Discuss the distinction between actual life and the "image" of life.
4. What did Proust feel people should take their time to create?
5. What are the dangers of reading?
6. What does Proust suggest his reader's to use books as?
7. Describe some of the benefits of MLP.
8. What did Proust feel should be separated between a person and their friends?
9. What did Proust argue people were not being when they used cliches?
10. How did Proust respond to the newspaper article about the young boy who murdered his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss how Proust demonstrates the ability to release his true opinions about his friends without ever even saying a word about or to them.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain Proust's own attitude about reading and the way he sees it affect readers.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain the reasons Proust gives for humans falling in and out of love.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)