|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city's newspaper does De Botton analyze at the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel"?
2. What was Proust's response to the newspaper's poll?
(a) That people's social inhibitions would fall away.
(b) That knowledge of imminent death would cause humans to apprciate life more fully.
(c) That people would go into mass panic.
(d) That people would begin to mend and repair estranged relationships.
3. In what year did Proust's father die?
4. What was the title of Proust's father's most successful book?
(a) "Elements to Good Health".
(b) "Elements of Hygiene".
(c) "Promotions to Hygiene".
(d) "Hygiene Premises".
5. How many years was Proust a librarian for Mazarine library?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 5 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Proust's father's best selling book written for?
2. What was Proust's father's name?
3. What was Proust's perception of his own sexuality?
4. What does De Botton reason at the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel"?
5. How would great stories of literature become boring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Proust say about conversation?
2. Describe some of the benefits of MLP.
3. What did Proust believe painter's were capable of?
4. How was Proust affected by Ruskin?
5. Who is Jean-Baptiste Chardin?
6. Describe Proust's physical health.
7. Describe what Proust's writing was infamous for?
8. What was Proust's problem with romance and love?
9. Describe the subject of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel"?
10. Who is Henri van Blarenberghe?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)