|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Proust feel people's dissatisfaction or unhappiness ultimately was?
(a) Failure to communicate.
(b) Failure to love.
(c) Failure of perception.
(d) Failure to understand.
2. What did Proust think the young man would find by becoming familiar with the artist's work?
(a) Admire the little things.
(b) The grandeur in the ordinary.
(c) Happiness in the simplicty.
3. In what year did did Proust write the essay about the unsatisfied little boy?
4. Who was the artist Proust wanted the young man to be introduced to?
(b) Jean-Baptiste Chardin.
5. How did Proust act with his friends?
(a) Passively and with inferiority.
(b) He had no friends.
(d) Generously and like a "people pleaser".
6. What did Proust feel people should separate in their friendship?
(a) The intellectual life and the means of support.
(b) The need for companionship and passion.
(c) Intellectual life and our need for companionship.
(d) The need for passion and intellect.
7. Who rejected the story about the unsatisfied young boy from being published?
(a) The newspaper editor.
(b) The magazine editor.
(c) No one.
(d) His published.
8. What did some of Proust's friends term Proust's over affection and fawning nature?
9. What does Proust's narrator in "In Search of Lost Time" realize about the beach house?
(a) It's a mansion.
(b) It's a typical 20th century resort town.
(c) It's dilapidated.
(d) It's Gothic.
10. How did Proust feel everyone should view the world?
(a) As if it were their's.
(b) As if it were new.
(c) As if it were real.
(d) As if it were magical.
11. What happened where Proust went to with his father as a child?
(a) He was unable to perform.
(b) He was trapeeze.
(c) He caught a foul ball.
(d) He was great art.
12. What was the artist Proust wanted the young boy to become acquainted with paint?
(a) Water lillies.
(c) Night skies.
(d) Still-life renderings.
13. What did Proust see in his friends?
(a) Their negativity.
(c) Their faults.
(d) Their positivity.
14. What did Proust say about people when they used tried sayings?
(a) They lack creativity and authenticity.
(b) They are "superficial articulations" of ideas and experiences.
(c) They are lazy.
(d) They are plagiarizing.
15. Why is the narrator upset about the way the beach house is in Proust's story?
(a) He wanted solitude.
(b) He wasn't.
(c) The reality did not match his image.
(d) The reality was exactly like his image.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the reality of people's life often not match in the perception of their life?
2. What is Proust's narrator suddenly filled with after he eats some cake in "In Search of Lost Time"?
3. What does Proust claim humans too often get upset at unnecessarily?
4. How did Proust feel when people used trite and cliched expressions?
5. How long does it take for the narrator in "In Search of Lost Time" to grow bored with his new interest?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)