|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Proust act with his friends?
(b) Passively and with inferiority.
(c) Generously and like a "people pleaser".
(d) He had no friends.
2. Where did Proust's father take Proust when he was a child?
(a) A carnival.
(b) A museum.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A football game.
3. Why is the narrator upset about the way the beach house is in Proust's story?
(a) He wasn't.
(b) The reality was exactly like his image.
(c) He wanted solitude.
(d) The reality did not match his image.
4. What is the frequent problem with love according to Proust?
(a) People change.
(b) People grow tired.
(c) People grow bored and restless.
(d) People grow old and unattrative.
5. What does Proust claim humans too often get upset at unnecessarily?
(a) Their life's expectations.
(b) The way they feel about their life.
(c) Their overall desires.
(d) The image of their life.
6. Which of the following did Proust NOT say about friendship?
(a) It was a foolish sacrifice.
(b) It was needed.
(c) It was a farce.
(d) It was a lie.
7. What did Proust himself have a wide variety of?
(a) Books on writing.
(c) Impressionist art.
(d) European art.
8. What is the final prescription for ensuring long lasting love?
(a) Threat of infedility.
(b) Desire for something new.
(c) The method of appecriation.
(d) Giving satisfaction.
9. What Impressionist artist does De Botton mention?
(a) Claude de Monet.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Henry Matisse.
10. What does Proust argue people are not doing when they use trite and cliched expressions?
(a) They are annoying.
(b) They are not being true to themselves.
(c) They rely on others to communicate.
(d) They are uneducated.
11. What did Proust compare the moon to in one of his famous metaphors?
(a) A woman.
(c) A child.
(d) An actor.
12. How many solutions does Proust offer for lovers to keep their love alive?
13. What was the artist Proust wanted the young boy to become acquainted with paint?
(b) Night skies.
(c) Still-life renderings.
(d) Water lillies.
14. What did some of Proust's friends term Proust's over affection and fawning nature?
15. How did Proust act when he was around different types of people?
(b) Different according to whom he was with.
(c) The same at all times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Proust's narrator suddenly filled with after he eats some cake in "In Search of Lost Time"?
2. What are Proust's quotations on friendships like?
3. What happened where Proust went to with his father as a child?
4. What did Proust feel people should take the time to create?
5. What phrase does Proust use to explain one solution of keeping lover's love alive?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)