|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Proust, what should exist when a lover is being obtained?
(a) A thrill.
(b) A chase.
(c) A pursuit.
(d) A desire.
2. What should lovers take great pains in doing according to Proust?
(a) Having special nights.
(b) Making each other feel supported.
(c) Discovering new things about their partners.
(d) Remembeirng the good times.
3. What image does Proust's narrator have of the beach house he goes to in "In Search of Lost Time"?
(a) That it's light and airy.
(b) That it's Gothic style.
(c) That it's a mansion.
(d) That it's a shack.
4. What is Proust's narrator suddenly filled with after he eats some cake in "In Search of Lost Time"?
(b) Zest and energy.
5. Who wrote the "Lover and the Doctor"?
(a) Henri van Blarenberg.
(b) Marquis de Lau.
(d) Gabriel de La Rochefoucald.
6. What was the rage of all aristocratic circles in the early 20th century?
(a) Collecting art.
(b) Appreciating art.
(c) Going to art shows.
(d) Knowledge and interest of art.
7. What did Proust compare the moon to in one of his famous metaphors?
(a) An actor.
(b) A child.
(c) A woman.
8. What does Proust's comparison of the moon show in comparison to the the author of "The Lover and the Doctor"?
(a) Proust's is a more genuine expression.
(b) Proust's is less vivid.
(c) They are the same.
(d) Proust's is more lengthy and descriptive.
9. How did Proust succeed in winning friends?
(a) By keeping the conversation on the other person.
(b) By keeping the conversation on himself.
(c) By being a listener.
(d) By his wealth.
10. What did Proust strive to find within his writing?
(a) The most perfect storytelling.
(b) The most perfect means of communication.
(c) The most perfect writing.
(d) The most perfect means of expression.
11. What did Proust himself endlessly do in his writing?
(a) Proofread his works.
(b) Revised his works.
(c) Rewrote his works.
(d) Wrote in multiple languages.
12. What was the artist Proust wanted the young boy to become acquainted with paint?
(a) Night skies.
(c) Water lillies.
(d) Still-life renderings.
13. What do Proust's friends say about Proust in the quotes De Botton gives?
(a) The bash him.
(b) They praise him.
(c) They give him kind words.
(d) They say he is odd and ill.
14. What does Proust reason humans as creatures of habit develop towards their lovers?
(a) A resentment.
(b) A lack of apprecaition.
(c) An expectation.
(d) Contemt for the familiar.
15. What does Proust claim humans too often get upset at unnecessarily?
(a) The way they feel about their life.
(b) Their overall desires.
(c) The image of their life.
(d) Their life's expectations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Proust argue people are not doing when they use trite and cliched expressions?
2. Who did Proust write to in the letter De Botton shares in Chapter 8?
3. What did Proust feel people should separate in their friendship?
4. What does Aunt Leonie daydream about?
5. Who was an editor who also wrote a piece about a composer George Bizet?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)