|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game must lovers continuously play according to Proust?
(a) A game of cat and mouse.
(b) A game of cat and dog.
(c) A game of jealousy.
(d) A game of perception.
2. What does Proust's comparison of the moon show in comparison to the the author of "The Lover and the Doctor"?
(a) They are the same.
(b) Proust's is less vivid.
(c) Proust's is more lengthy and descriptive.
(d) Proust's is a more genuine expression.
3. What did Proust strive to find within his writing?
(a) The most perfect means of communication.
(b) The most perfect storytelling.
(c) The most perfect writing.
(d) The most perfect means of expression.
4. What was the name of Proust's friend in which he wrote a mean and berating letter that he never sent and another full of praise that he did send?
(a) Gregory Fernand.
(b) Fernand Gregh.
(c) Greg Ferns.
(d) Ferdinand Gregh.
5. How many volumes was "In Search of Lost Time" intended to be?
6. What was the rage of all aristocratic circles in the early 20th century?
(a) Going to art shows.
(b) Knowledge and interest of art.
(c) Appreciating art.
(d) Collecting art.
7. What did Proust see in his friends?
(a) Their positivity.
(b) Their faults.
(c) Their negativity.
8. What did Proust feel people's dissatisfaction or unhappiness ultimately was?
(a) Failure to love.
(b) Failure of perception.
(c) Failure to communicate.
(d) Failure to understand.
9. How did Proust feel when people used trite and cliched expressions?
10. How did Proust succeed in winning friends?
(a) By keeping the conversation on himself.
(b) By his wealth.
(c) By being a listener.
(d) By keeping the conversation on the other person.
11. In what year did did Proust write the essay about the unsatisfied little boy?
12. What are Proust's quotations on friendships like?
13. Which of the following did the thoroughly unhappy young man Proust wrote about NOT desire?
(c) Traveling the world.
(d) Grand places.
14. What did Proust himself have a wide variety of?
(a) Books on writing.
(b) Impressionist art.
(c) European art.
15. What did Proust believe about painters?
(a) They had the ability to move its viewer.
(b) They were needed in society.
(c) They were talented.
(d) They had the ability to open our eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Proust's impressionist-like painter among his characters in "In Search of Lost Time"?
2. Which of the following did Proust NOT say about friendship?
3. How did Proust act when he was around different types of people?
4. What does Proust claim humans too often get upset at unnecessarily?
5. What did Proust say about people when they used tried sayings?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)