|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question did the newspaper ask its readers that De Botton analyzes?
(a) How people would react to knowing when the end of the world will happen.
(b) How people would react if everyone saw a thearapist
(c) How people would react when the third world war begins.
(d) How people would react if they saw their family killed.
2. What would Proust write to his mother and tell her about?
(a) His last writing.
(b) His latest girlfriend.
(c) The quality of his stool.
(d) His most recent friendship.
3. In what year did Proust's father die?
4. In response to the newspaper's poll, what did one person think would happen to people's inhibitions?
(a) Nothing was said about social inhibitions in this text.
(b) People would become less inhibited.
(c) All social inhibitions would utterly fall away.
(d) People would become more inhibited.
5. At the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what was the title of the newspaper De Botton analyzes?
(b) Le Chronicle.
(d) Le Monde.
6. What does Proust urge his readers to focus on?
(a) The future.
(b) The present.
(c) The past.
7. What does abbreviation not do justice for?
(a) The course of human interactions.
(b) The course of human emotions.
(c) The course of human relationships.
(d) The course of human events.
8. Where does Proust suggest people would travel to in his response to the newspaper's poll?
(a) India and China.
(b) The Louvre and Rome.
(c) China and the Louvre.
(d) The Louvre and India.
9. Why did Proust respond to the newspaper article about the young boy who murdered his mom?
(a) To tell the entire story.
(b) To release his own emotions.
(c) To give the boy some reasoning for his actions.
(d) To refute the brevity of the first article.
10. What was Proust's life filled with?
(a) Missteps in physicality.
(b) Missteps in intellect.
(c) Missteps in his upbringing.
(d) Missteps in physicality and psychology.
11. Who does De Botton wonder can be separated from his or her work in Chapter 4?
12. What was Proust considered to be in the 1920s?
(a) He was an aspiring lawyer.
(b) He was an aspiring author.
(c) A great author.
(d) A bonafide celebrity.
13. What did Proust explain after the article was written about the young boy who murdered his mom.
(a) Henri's state of mind.
(b) Henry's state of mind.
(c) Henry's cause of death.
(d) Henri's cause of death.
14. According to the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what did Proust hate?
(d) Museum crowds.
15. What question does De Botton ask after he discusses Proust's father's work?
(a) "If We Should Read"?
(b) "What are the benefits of reading"?
(c) "To Read or Not to Read"?
(d) "How Should We Read"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pensees?
2. What were Proust's main passions?
3. What was Proust's father's occupation?
4. What was Proust's father in particularly concerned with?
5. Who is Marcel Proust?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)