|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kate?
(a) Proust's mother.
(b) Proust's girlfriend.
(c) De Botton's girlfriend.
(d) De Botton's sister.
2. What would Proust write to his mother and tell her about?
(a) His latest girlfriend.
(b) His last writing.
(c) The quality of his stool.
(d) His most recent friendship.
3. How many books did Proust's father publish?
4. What does Proust find the newspaper reduces murders, tragedies, and the whole human experience to?
(a) Snippets of reality.
(b) Bite size information.
(c) "A morning treat".
(d) Snippets or fantasy.
5. What was Proust allergic to?
(c) Soap and shaving cream.
(d) Cologne and soap.
6. How would great stories of literature become boring?
(a) If they were reduced to one sentence sound bites.
(b) If they omitted details and left only facts.
(c) If they did not include violence.
(d) If they did not include romance.
7. How many years was Proust a librarian for Mazarine library?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 10 years.
8. At the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what was the title of the newspaper De Botton analyzes?
(b) Le Monde.
(d) Le Chronicle.
9. What is an artist's role in the judgment of art?
(a) To remain objective.
(b) To remain subjective.
(c) He or she is unimportant.
(d) He or she is important.
10. What does Proust's description of the Duchesse de Guermantes reminds De Botton of?
(a) His ex girlfriend.
(b) His sister.
(c) His step mother.
(d) The step mother of an ex girlfriend.
11. What was Proust's life filled with?
(a) Missteps in physicality.
(b) Missteps in his upbringing.
(c) Missteps in intellect.
(d) Missteps in physicality and psychology.
12. Who was the artist of Old Man and the Boy?
(a) Domenico Ghirlandio.
(b) Garland Domenion.
(c) Domnico Ghirland.
13. What does abbreviation not do justice for?
(a) The course of human interactions.
(b) The course of human events.
(c) The course of human relationships.
(d) The course of human emotions.
14. When did Proust begin to work on his masterpiece?
(a) After both of his parents died.
(b) When his mom died.
(c) After he quit working at the library.
(d) When his dad died.
15. What was Proust considered to be in the 1920s?
(a) He was an aspiring author.
(b) A great author.
(c) He was an aspiring lawyer.
(d) A bonafide celebrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Proust's father die?
2. What does Proust believe a life examined is?
3. Which of the following people were not mentioned to have responded to the newspaper's poll?
4. What year did Proust write his novel that gave him international acclaim?
5. What was the newspaper's popular column at the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel"?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)