|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does De Botton suggest about human social life?
(a) It is necessary.
(b) It is insincere.
(c) It is sincere.
(d) It is unnecessary.
2. What was the title of Proust's novel that gave him international acclaim?
(a) "In Search of Lost Time".
(b) "In Search".
(c) "In Lost Time".
(d) "Searching for Time".
3. According to the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what did Proust hate?
(a) Museum crowds.
4. What was the title of Proust's father's most successful book?
(a) "Elements of Hygiene".
(b) "Hygiene Premises".
(c) "Elements to Good Health".
(d) "Promotions to Hygiene".
5. What does De Botton reason at the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel"?
(a) There are plenty of things humans should be happy about.
(b) Lust isthe driving force between all people.
(c) Love is the driving force between all people.
(d) There are plenty of things humans should be unhappy about.
6. How many years had it been since Proust visited the Louvre when he responded to the newspaper's poll?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) He had never been.
7. How many meals a day did Proust have?
(c) 4 small ones.
8. Who is Albertine?
(a) Proust's mother.
(b) A character in Proust's book.
(c) Proust's girlfriend.
(d) Proust's sister.
9. How many books did Proust's father publish?
10. Who is Marcel Proust?
(a) The subject of De Botton's book.
(b) An politician.
(c) A singer.
(d) A historian.
11. How long is one sentence of Proust's in "In Search of Lost Time"?
(a) 3 meters.
(b) 4 and a half meters.
(c) 5 meters.
(d) 4 meters.
12. How was Proust's personal life at odds with the answer he gave to the newspaper's question?
(a) He was a recluse himself.
(b) He never traveled to India.
(c) He never went to the Louvre.
(d) He never fell in love.
13. What did Proust do in response to the newspaper article about the young boy who murdered his mom?
(a) Wrote a 5 page article on the incident.
(b) Protested against articles like that.
(c) Petitioned against snippet articles.
(d) Wrote a 6 page article on the incident.
14. What was the young man who murdered his mother named?
(a) Henry von Schlotter.
(b) Henri van Schlotter.
(c) Henri van Blarenberge.
(d) Henry von Blarenberg.
15. What is the finger placing ability, according to De Botton?
(a) An increase in our own perceptive powers to discover something in us from our reading.
(b) Being able to locate where you know something or someone.
(c) The ability to understand the power of knowledge.
(d) The ability to point in any direction and find comfort in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Proust sometimes examine a mundane train timetable?
2. What did Proust's mother's actions cause Proust to do?
3. At the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what was the title of the newspaper De Botton analyzes?
4. What question does De Botton ask after he discusses Proust's father's work?
5. What was Proust's father in particularly concerned with?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)