|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Proust do in response to the newspaper article about the young boy who murdered his mom?
(a) Wrote a 6 page article on the incident.
(b) Wrote a 5 page article on the incident.
(c) Protested against articles like that.
(d) Petitioned against snippet articles.
2. What does Proust believe a life examined is?
(a) A life worthless.
(b) A life well lived.
(c) Essential to everyone.
(d) A waste of time.
3. What was Proust allergic to?
(b) Cologne and soap.
(d) Soap and shaving cream.
4. What was Proust's mother like?
5. Who is Kate?
(a) Proust's girlfriend.
(b) De Botton's sister.
(c) De Botton's girlfriend.
(d) Proust's mother.
6. What were Proust's main passions?
(a) Reading and analyzing.
(b) Literature and writing.
(c) Law and medicine.
(d) Writing and reading.
7. What year did Proust write his novel that gave him international acclaim?
8. Who does De Botton wonder can be separated from his or her work in Chapter 4?
9. What would Proust probe the train timetable for?
(a) Stories and value.
(c) Meaning and value.
10. What game did one person claim they would play in response to the newspaper's question?
11. What is Pensees?
(a) A book about a man, Eric Pensees.
(b) A well known book of aphorisms.
(c) A well known book of recipes.
(d) A book about music.
12. At the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what was the title of the newspaper De Botton analyzes?
(a) Le Chronicle.
(b) Le Monde.
13. What was the title of Proust's novel that gave him international acclaim?
(a) "In Lost Time".
(b) "In Search".
(c) "Searching for Time".
(d) "In Search of Lost Time".
14. How long is one sentence of Proust's in "In Search of Lost Time"?
(a) 4 and a half meters.
(b) 3 meters.
(c) 5 meters.
(d) 4 meters.
15. According to the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel" what did Proust hate?
(a) Museum crowds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the young man who murdered his mother named?
2. In what year did Proust's father die?
3. What list does Proust develop at the end of Chapter 2?
4. How was Proust's personal life at odds with the answer he gave to the newspaper's question?
5. What does abbreviation not do justice for?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)