|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Proust's mother's actions cause Proust to do?
(a) Be annoying.
(b) Be insecure.
(c) Be clingy and helpless.
(d) Be loving.
2. Who is Gilberte?
(a) The woman the narrator in "In Search of Lost Time" becomes enamored with.
(b) De Botton's girlfriend.
(c) Proust's girlfriend.
(d) Proust's sister.
3. What was Proust's father in particularly concerned with?
(a) Public learning.
(b) Public sanitation.
(c) Public intellect.
(d) Public broadcasting.
4. When did Proust begin to work on his masterpiece?
(a) When his dad died.
(b) After he quit working at the library.
(c) After both of his parents died.
(d) When his mom died.
5. What does De Botton reason at the beginning of "How Proust Can Change Your Life ; Not a Novel"?
(a) Love is the driving force between all people.
(b) There are plenty of things humans should be happy about.
(c) There are plenty of things humans should be unhappy about.
(d) Lust isthe driving force between all people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Pensees?
2. What does Proust claim humans too often get upset at unnecessarily?
3. What did the author who's work was greatly affected by their admiration for Proust finally realize about her own work?
4. Which of the following did the thoroughly unhappy young man Proust wrote about NOT desire?
5. What should lovers take great pains in doing according to Proust?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)