|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Proust tell that he wanted his book to do for people what his father did for people?
(a) His maid.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His doctor.
(d) His sister.
2. Where does Proust suggest people would travel to in his response to the newspaper's poll?
(a) India and China.
(b) The Louvre and Rome.
(c) The Louvre and India.
(d) China and the Louvre.
3. What year did Proust write his novel that gave him international acclaim?
4. What does De Botton coin the term of reader's seeing themselves in works of fiction as?
(a) The self Marquis scene.
(d) The Marquis de Lau Phenomenon.
5. What is the finger placing ability, according to De Botton?
(a) The ability to point in any direction and find comfort in it.
(b) The ability to understand the power of knowledge.
(c) An increase in our own perceptive powers to discover something in us from our reading.
(d) Being able to locate where you know something or someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Proust's father's name?
2. What does Proust's description of the Duchesse de Guermantes reminds De Botton of?
3. How many months later did Proust die after responding to the newspaper's poll?
4. What was the title of Proust's novel that gave him international acclaim?
5. What list does Proust develop at the end of Chapter 2?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)