|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memories continue to torture Sammy mentally?
2. What upsets Sammy during his interview at the health center?
3. Once awake from his nap, how does Sammy discover that Helen hasn't been home?
4. Samurai warriors often tricked others by living like what?
5. What irritates Sammy while he waits at the health center?
Short Essay Questions
1. After losing his vision, how does Sammy spend his unemployment check once he finally acquires it?
2. Who does Sammy think about while lying in his cell, unable to see?
3. What types of things does Sammy procrastinate on?
4. On Saturday night, someone knocks on Sammy's door. How does he react?
5. What is Sammy's physical condition when he wakes up in his cell for the first time?
6. What are some examples of Sammy using optimism to deal with his blindness?
7. What piece of personal history does Sammy reflect on, as he waits to report his lack of vision to the welfare office?
8. Why does Sammy confuse the group of police with tourists?
9. Why did Sammy tell Helen the truth about his past?
10. At what point does Sammy begin to worry about Helen's absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Sammy and his former family.
1) Describe Sammy's ex-wife.
2) Describe his son, Peter, and his feelings for him.
3) Analyze why the relationship ended.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Sammy and Helen.
Essay Topic 3
Sammy's lack of vision affects his lifestyle in a significant fashion. Write an essay evaluating how this obstacle forces Sammy to change and grow.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)