|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sammy's first interview at the health center, how does he feel?
2. How do the police respond to Sammy's reaction to his lack of sight?
3. Sammy hopes to obtain what to help him live with his blindness?
4. What do the police do to Sammy prior to arresting him?
5. Who does Sammy want to speak to, once he realizes he is blind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties does Sammy face when he takes his first bus ride as a blind man?
2. Initially, Jackie Milligan approached Sammy to help him with what?
3. What mood swings does Sammy experience after successfully setting a doctor's appointment?
4. How might Sammy's blindness interfere with the leisure activities he enjoys?
5. What is Sammy's physical condition when he wakes up in his cell for the first time?
6. How does Boab respond to Sammy upon first meeting him?
7. Who is Sammy afraid of when he reports his lack of vision at the welfare office?
8. Why does Sammy confuse the group of police with tourists?
9. On Saturday night, someone knocks on Sammy's door. How does he react?
10. Why did Sammy tell Helen the truth about his past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sammy's lack of vision affects his lifestyle in a significant fashion. Write an essay evaluating how this obstacle forces Sammy to change and grow.
Essay Topic 2
Although in fear of the prison system, Sammy conducts much of his business outside the law. Write an essay examining Sammy's relationship with the law and how it affects his life.
1) What is his past history with crime?
2) What is his emotional reaction to authority?
3) In what way is Sammy still involved in a life of crime?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Sammy's relationships with others primarily consists of what they can do for him. Examine the following relationships within the essay:
1) Sammy and Helen.
2) Sammy and Boab.
3) Sammy and strangers.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)