|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once awake from his nap, how does Sammy discover that Helen hasn't been home?
2. What did Sammy and Helen fight over?
3. After spending time in jail, what does Sammy avoid doing?
4. When Sammy gets out of jail, where does he think Helen is?
5. Who does Sammy borrow a saw from, to cut off the head of a mop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sammy survive financially?
2. Who does Sammy think about while lying in his cell, unable to see?
3. Why do the policemen beat up Sammy and take him to jail?
4. How did Sammy get involved in a life of crime?
5. On Saturday night, someone knocks on Sammy's door. How does he react?
6. After losing his vision, how does Sammy spend his unemployment check once he finally acquires it?
7. Why did Sammy get caught during his first attempt at crime?
8. Sammy suspects what has caused him to lose his eyesight?
9. Initially, Jackie Milligan approached Sammy to help him with what?
10. Other than Helen's safety, why is Sammy worried that Helen isn't home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although in fear of the prison system, Sammy conducts much of his business outside the law. Write an essay examining Sammy's relationship with the law and how it affects his life.
1) What is his past history with crime?
2) What is his emotional reaction to authority?
3) In what way is Sammy still involved in a life of crime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character, Sammy.
1) What is his history?
2) How does he live his life?
3) What are his struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Fear plays a major role in "How Late it Was, How Late". Examine Sammy's relationship with fear, citing specific examples from the text.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)