|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sammy realizes that his blindness might be permanent, what happens?
(a) He has a panic attack.
(b) He regains his eyesight.
(c) He has a religious moment.
(d) He loses the ability to speak.
2. At the beginning of "How Late it Was, How Late", why is Helen upset with Sammy?
(a) He curses too often.
(b) He will not marry her.
(c) He is involved in crime.
(d) He is always late on bills.
3. What would Sammy like to happen in his future relationship with Helen?
(a) He would like partial ownership of the flat.
(b) He would like an amicable break-up.
(c) He would like Helen to be more loving.
(d) He wants to get serious with her.
4. On what day does Sammy receive his unemployment benefits?
5. If Helen does not come home, Sammy realizes he must do what?
(a) Look for her.
(b) Move out.
(c) Apologize to her.
(d) Water the plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memories continue to torture Sammy mentally?
2. What irritates Sammy while he waits at the health center?
3. What leisure activities does Sammy enjoy that are affected by his blindness?
4. What physical ailment does Sammy suffer as a result of his encounter with the policemen?
5. Helen is Sammy's what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boab respond to Sammy upon first meeting him?
2. What concerns Sammy about Helen's continued absence?
3. At what point does Sammy begin to worry about Helen's absence?
4. Why does Sammy confuse the group of police with tourists?
5. How does Sammy respond to setbacks?
6. When Sammy is trying to make a doctor's appointment, what obstacles stand in his way?
7. Why did Sammy tell Helen the truth about his past?
8. What mood swings does Sammy experience after successfully setting a doctor's appointment?
9. What piece of personal history does Sammy reflect on, as he waits to report his lack of vision to the welfare office?
10. When meeting with the second interviewer, what does Sammy choose to do when he gets frustrated with the system?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)