|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Sammy caught during his first criminal act?
(a) In the car.
(b) In the house he was robbing.
(c) In the bank.
(d) At the pub.
2. When Sammy hears a knock on the front door, what does he grab for protection?
(a) A gun.
(b) A shoe.
(c) A knife.
(d) His stick.
3. How does Sammy provoke the group of policemen?
(a) He assaults a tourist.
(b) He punches one of them.
(c) He swears at them in Russian.
(d) He spits on all of them.
4. After going blind, what does Sammy purchase with his next unemployment check?
(b) A bar of soap.
(d) A dog.
5. During his first criminal act, what lack of skill caused him to get caught?
(c) Technical skills.
(d) Driving ability.
6. What personal article of clothing is Sammy confused about at the beginning of the novel?
(a) His belt.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His hat.
(d) His pants.
7. What happens to Sammy directly after the encounter with the policemen?
(a) He meets Ally.
(b) He finds money.
(c) The police offer him a job.
(d) He blacks out.
8. Where did Sammy get recruited for his first crime?
(a) The pub.
(b) His brother's house.
(c) At work.
(d) The unemployment office.
9. What memories continue to torture Sammy mentally?
(a) His father's bankruptcy.
(b) Childhood hurts.
(c) Dead bodies he has seen.
(d) His mother's insanity.
10. When Boab first meets Sammy, what does he do?
(a) Scold him.
(b) Help him.
(c) Shun him.
(d) Lecture him.
11. Where is Jackie Milligan from?
12. What keeps Sammy going in spite of his setbacks?
13. According to Sammy, what caused his encounter with the police?
(a) Police bigotry.
(b) Personal stupidity.
(c) A woman in distress.
(d) A scuffle over a wallet.
14. What intrigues Sammy about the Samurai warriors?
(a) Their height.
(b) Their position in the world.
(c) Their capacity for revenge.
(d) Their physical fitness.
15. Why is there a wait at the health center?
(a) Sammy did not make an appointment.
(b) It is crowded.
(c) Many doctors want to see him.
(d) There is a bomb threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Sammy living when he committed his first crime?
2. If Helen does not come home, Sammy realizes he must do what?
3. After making a doctor's appointment, why does Sammy want to go to a pub for lunch?
4. What does Sammy ask the group of policeman for?
5. What type of payment does Sammy hope for, now that he has an eye injury?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)