|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the occupation last?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Eleven weeks.
(d) Thirty-nine days.
2. Why does Daisy believe Dr. Jameson might have had something to do with the arrival of the British military?
(a) Because the officials said he'd sent them.
(b) Because he'd been their only visitor just a few days earlier.
(c) She doesn't think he sent them.
(d) Because he'd said he would send the authorities.
3. How long does Daisy have to travel to reach England when the borders are opened again for travel after the war?
(a) Thirteen hours.
(b) Eighteen days.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) More than a week.
4. What does Daisy believe she's hearing the night Jet joins them in the lambing barn?
(a) A cat with her young kittens.
(b) Edmond or a rat.
(c) Foxes or wolves.
(d) A pack of wild dogs.
5. What does Baz bring for Piper and Daisy to eat their first morning in the barn that is being used as a military barracks?
(a) Curds, bread, and tea.
(b) Coffee, biscuits, and bacon.
(c) Oatmeal, milk, and tea.
(d) Pancakes, eggs, and orange juice.
6. When does Daisy "talk" to Edmond in Chapter 18?
(b) When he calls each Saturday.
(d) Only in her dreams.
7. How does Daisy know they have reached the late to Gateshead Farm?
(a) They find a sign.
(b) A teenage girl gives them directions.
(c) It's written on the map.
(d) Piper recognizes it from her dream.
8. What does Daisy feel when she thinks back on Joe's death later that night?
(a) Fear that she'll die as well.
(b) Frustration that the war is happening.
(c) Sadness that she wasn't nicer to him.
(d) Anger that he got Major McEvoy killed.
9. Who is the one person Daisy believes she recognizes among the dead at Gateshead Farm?
(a) Dr. Jameson.
(c) Aunt Penn.
(d) Mrs. McEvoy.
10. Why does Piper say they should catch and kill a rabbit?
(a) Rabbits are high in vitamins.
(b) There are many rabbits and they're easy to catch.
(c) They need meat in their diet.
(d) To have fat to cook with.
11. What is the game Piper and Daisy play to help pass the time while they walk?
(b) Mental Jotto.
(d) I Spy.
12. Who is Albert?
(a) The fourteen-year-old McEvoy boy who is away at school.
(b) The four-year-old son of Mrs. McEvoy.
(c) The eight-year-old son of the McEvoy's neighbor.
(d) The eighteen-year-old soldier who drives the girls to the McEvoy's.
13. What does Daisy learn from Edmond about the time she "hears" the cry of a newborn baby?
(a) That the baby was ill.
(b) That the baby died.
(c) That the baby survived.
14. Why does Piper say she can't send Jet to look for Gin?
(a) Jet is too weak to go looking.
(b) Jet doesn't know where to look.
(c) She's certain Gin is dead.
(d) She can't explain that to him.
15. Where is Jet when Piper and Daisy are leaving the McEvoy house?
(a) In the bedroom.
(b) In the truck.
(c) He can't be found.
(d) In the pasture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy say she prays for in Chapter 27?
2. What is the food growing wild that Daisy initially refuses to eat but gives in to when there are so many of them?
3. What is the sound Daisy can hear as she falls asleep in Piper's bed their first night at the McEvoy's house?
4. What is the food Daisy and Piper find growing along a stone wall near the path they are following that first morning?
5. How many bodies does Daisy find at Gateshead Farm?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)