|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bodies does Daisy find at Gateshead Farm?
2. What is the final thing Daisy says to Edmond as she and Piper are being taken away?
(a) I love you.
(b) Please come with me.
(c) I'll find you.
(d) Don't worry, I'm not leaving.
3. Why are Daisy and Piper at the house on the day the telephone rings?
(a) They were hoping Edmund had returned.
(b) They were cleaning the house.
(c) Piper wanted a bath.
(d) They were looking for food.
4. What does Daisy say she prays for in Chapter 27?
(a) That the food they'd left is safe and not rotten.
(b) That Edmond and Isaac will come home.
(c) That soldiers won't find them.
(d) That Piper will stop crying.
5. How do Daisy and Piper find the river?
(a) Daisy finds it on the map.
(b) Piper hears the running water.
(c) They find a sign pointing the way.
(d) They see ducks flying in for a landing.
6. What is one of Major McEvoy's main jobs with the army?
(a) Organizing troops to defend England.
(b) Coordinating the passing of important information.
(c) Organizing a way to get schools open.
(d) Organizing a field hospital for locals.
7. What does Daisy feel when she thinks back on Joe's death later that night?
(a) Frustration that the war is happening.
(b) Fear that she'll die as well.
(c) Sadness that she wasn't nicer to him.
(d) Anger that he got Major McEvoy killed.
8. How does Daisy know they have reached the late to Gateshead Farm?
(a) They find a sign.
(b) A teenage girl gives them directions.
(c) Piper recognizes it from her dream.
(d) It's written on the map.
9. What is the game Piper and Daisy play to help pass the time while they walk?
(b) Mental Jotto.
(c) I Spy.
10. What does Daisy learn from Edmond about the time she "hears" the cry of a newborn baby?
(a) That the baby survived.
(b) That the baby died.
(c) That the baby was ill.
11. What does Alby hit Daisy and Piper with repeatedly?
(a) A book.
(b) A rope.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A plastic sword.
12. What time is it when Daisy and Piper are wakened to the sound of gunfire?
(b) Four in the morning.
(d) Six in the morning.
13. What does Daisy say has become a "fanatic compulsion"?
(a) Keeping the blankets dry.
(b) Touching each other at night.
(c) Walking eight miles a day.
(d) Finding enough berries to eat.
14. Why is the milking of cows on area farms a problem since the war began?
(a) There's no electricity to run the milking machines.
(b) There aren't enough people to milk the cows.
(c) The cows are so scared from the shooting they've stopped giving milk.
(d) The milking barns in the area have all been bombed.
15. What does Daisy tell Baz though she swears him to secrecy?
(a) That she's going to find a way to get back to America.
(b) That she's going to try to return to Edmond, Isaac, and Osbert.
(c) That she's afraid Piper is going into shock.
(d) That she wants to find something to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daisy's half-sister's name?
2. What is the topic Daisy discusses with many of the soldiers during their days in the barn?
3. Who goes inside to tell Mrs. McEvoy that her husband has been killed?
4. What month is it when Daisy and Piper arrive at Gateshead Farm?
5. What is the expression Daisy has when the military officials say they plan to take over the house?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)