|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Owen marry?
2. Who got fired for starting a union in London?
3. What play does Huw take Ceinwen to?
4. Who brings breakfast for the manager and clerks in Chapter 41?
5. How many voices take part in Ivor's choir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Huw give in to Ceinwen in Chapter 24?
2. How does Gwilym react to Beth's absence when she goes to London to visit her kids?
3. How is Blodwyn different from the Morgans?
4. Describe the incident and aftermath of the beating of Evan John.
5. Why doesn't Bronwen remarry?
6. How does Huw feel when he almost gets into trouble for being out on the mountain with Ceinwen?
7. How does Huw react to witnessing his first prizefight?
8. Describe the downfall of the valley in Chapter 20.
9. What items does the Queen give to Ivor, and how does Gwillym react?
10. How does the novel reflect the interwoven quality of family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huw's innocence is gradually lost throughout the novel. How does the theme of innocence run through the novel? Describe the Huw at the beginning of the novel. How is his innocence gradually lost? What causes Huw to lose their childhood innocence? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Strikes plague the valleys throughout the whole novel. How does the valley transform when the Three Valleys strike occurs? How does the Morgan family handle the downfall of the valley? How does the community handle the downfall? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a prominent theme throughout "How Green Was My Valley". How is the theme of religion reflected in the story? How is religion used to manipulate another person, and why? How does religion play a role in the valley? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)