|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Owen leave to after he receives a telegram about his engine?
2. What is one item that the Queen gives to the leader of the choir?
3. Where does Iestyn go for coal-related business in Chapter 29?
4. Whose sister is Blodwyn?
5. How many voices take part in Ivor's choir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Huw lose his virginity to, and what does he say afterward?
2. What does Mrs. Nicholas gossip about in Chapter 32?
3. Why are Olwen and Bronwen threatened by striking workers in Chapter 40?
4. Why does Huw move in with Bronwen?
5. Why doesn't Huw give in to Ceinwen in Chapter 24?
6. How does the novel reflect the interwoven quality of family?
7. Why is Gruffydd depressed?
8. Who does Angharad marry, and how does she feel about it?
9. Why is Huw expelled from school?
10. How is Blodwyn different from the Morgans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is reflected throughout this novel in many ways. How is the theme of love reflected in the novel? How does Huw view love in this novel? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Strikes plague the valleys throughout the whole novel. How does the valley transform when the Three Valleys strike occurs? How does the Morgan family handle the downfall of the valley? How does the community handle the downfall? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Themes of health and money are prominent in the beginning of "How Green Was My Valley". How are the themes of health and money (specifically attitudes about money) reflected in this chapter? How does each character value health and money? Why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)