|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the colliery to court in Chapter 39?
2. Where will Angharad go in Chapter 34?
3. Who goes to visit Ceridwen and Angharad in London?
4. What do Gwilym and the Morgans prepare as the new chapel?
5. What is one item that the Queen gives to the leader of the choir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gruffydd depressed?
2. Why doesn't Bronwen remarry?
3. How does Gwilym react to Beth's absence when she goes to London to visit her kids?
4. How does the Queen's invitation affect the family?
5. Why does a mob form outside of Hamlet?
6. Why does Huw move in with Bronwen?
7. What does Mrs. Nicholas gossip about in Chapter 32?
8. Describe the "game of women."
9. Why are Olwen and Bronwen threatened by striking workers in Chapter 40?
10. How does Huw react to witnessing his first prizefight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"How Green Was My Valley" is somewhat of a bildungsroman. What is a bildungsroman? What makes "How Green Was My Valley" a bildungsroman? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel experience significant emotional tension because of problems at the colliery. How is emotional tension displayed in the novel? Why is there emotional tension amongst the Morgans? How does each character cope with the tension and stress? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a tool that is used throughout this novel. How does foreshadowing play a role in this novel? What happens in the novel that fulfills the foreshadowing? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)