|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one item that the Queen gives to the leader of the choir?
2. Where does the choir perform for the Queen?
3. What does Huw work as in Chapter 32?
4. Who got fired for starting a union in London?
5. What prevents Huw from marrying Bronwen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Huw move in with Bronwen?
2. Describe the downfall of the valley in Chapter 20.
3. Why is Gruffydd depressed?
4. What items does the Queen give to Ivor, and how does Gwillym react?
5. What does Mrs. Nicholas gossip about in Chapter 32?
6. Where do the Morgan boys move to in Chapter 39?
7. How is Blodwyn different from the Morgans?
8. Describe Huw's relationship with Bronwen in Chapters 22 and 23.
9. Why is Gruffydd a broken man in Chapter 36?
10. How does Gwilym react to Beth's absence when she goes to London to visit her kids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analysis is important when reading any piece of work. Choose a character to focus on for this essay and describe him or her. How does your character interact with others? How have they been influenced by other characters? Who influenced this character the most? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Huw's relationship with his father is prominent in the novel. Describe Huw and Gwillym senior, and cite their similarities and differences. How does Huw see Gwillym? How does Gwillym view his son? How do their views affect the way they interact? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The nature of family is a prominent theme throughout the whole novel, mostly because the novel follows Huw's family throughout his childhood and growth into a man. How does the theme of family run through the novel? How does the nature of family influence Huw's views? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)