|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marged confuse Huw for in Chapter 15?
2. Who does Huw visit to share family information with in Chapter 3?
3. What does Gwilym's new job in Chapter 6 cause the workers to do?
4. Who leaves after a heated discussion at home in Chapter 5?
5. What happens to Beth when hiking home in bad weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Beth and Gwilym met.
2. What causes Davy, Owen, and Gwilym to leave home in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Davy upset in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Angharad leave home in Chapter 5?
5. Describe Ianto's outburst against the preachers.
6. Describe what happens to Marged in Chapter 15.
7. Describe Huw's first day at the National School.
8. How does Huw's experience with Marged affect him?
9. Describe the church incident in which Huw speaks out against Mr. Parry.
10. Describe the wedding in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Strikes plague the valleys throughout the whole novel. How does the valley transform when the Three Valleys strike occurs? How does the Morgan family handle the downfall of the valley? How does the community handle the downfall? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In "How Green Was My Valley", the way that Huw describes the past sheds light on what kind of child he was. How does Huw's narration highlight his traits as a child? What kind of traits did Huw have? How was he influenced by those around him? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme that is reflected throughout this novel in many ways. How is the theme of love reflected in the novel? How does Huw view love in this novel? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)