|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tool does Huw learn to catch trout with?
2. What do the wedding guests do the evening of Ivor's wedding?
3. What does Gruffydd tell Huw that he should never do again in Chapter 10?
4. What gift does Gruffydd give Huw when he starts the National School?
5. How does Gwilym think the workers should deal with their work troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one sign that "wickedness" has entered the valley?
2. Who is Mrs. Jenkins?
3. Describe the church incident in which Huw speaks out against Mr. Parry.
4. Why does Angharad leave home in Chapter 5?
5. How does Gwilym react to Huw witnessing the birth secretly?
6. What happens to Owen's love for Marged and why?
7. What does Gwilym senior think of unions early on in the novel?
8. Describe Huw's first day at the National School.
9. What does Gwilym senior think of women's tears?
10. How does Gwilym make his relationship with Beth clear in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The themes of cruelty and unfairness are prominent in the novel. How are the themes of cruelty and unfairness reflected in the novel? Which characters are affected most acutely by cruelty and unfairness? Why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The nature of family is a prominent theme throughout the whole novel, mostly because the novel follows Huw's family throughout his childhood and growth into a man. How does the theme of family run through the novel? How does the nature of family influence Huw's views? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In "How Green Was My Valley", the way that Huw describes the past sheds light on what kind of child he was. How does Huw's narration highlight his traits as a child? What kind of traits did Huw have? How was he influenced by those around him? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)