|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose leg and jaw were broken?
2. Who did Meillyn Lewis have an affair with?
3. How long does Huw spend in his kitchen bed?
4. How old does Huw turn in Chapter 12?
5. What is the family box filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Huw react to witnessing the birth of a child?
2. What injuries does Huw suffer from the fall into the river, and how long does he take to recover?
3. How does Gwilym senior react to Huw's first day at National School?
4. What happens to Beth in Chapter 6?
5. How does Huw describe his childhood?
6. Describe the wedding in Chapter 2.
7. Why does Angharad leave home in Chapter 5?
8. What does Gwilym senior think of women's tears?
9. What does Beth go to a workers' meeting for in Chapter 6, and how does she get there?
10. Describe what happens to Marged in Chapter 15.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Strikes plague the valleys throughout the whole novel. How does the valley transform when the Three Valleys strike occurs? How does the Morgan family handle the downfall of the valley? How does the community handle the downfall? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a tool that is used throughout this novel. How does foreshadowing play a role in this novel? What happens in the novel that fulfills the foreshadowing? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme that is reflected throughout this novel in many ways. How is the theme of love reflected in the novel? How does Huw view love in this novel? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)