|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Davy upset in Chapter 2?
2. What best describes Gwilym senior?
3. How long does the second strike last (the strike after the five week strike)?
4. How many children does Mrs. Beynon have, including her newborn?
5. What does Gruffydd tell Huw that he should never do again in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Huw cope with being bedridden from his injuries from the fall in the river?
2. What happens to Owen's love for Marged and why?
3. How does Huw react to witnessing the birth of a child?
4. How does Huw's experience with Marged affect him?
5. What does Gwilym senior think of unions early on in the novel?
6. Why is Davy upset in Chapter 2?
7. What is the valley culture like when it comes to being attracted to someone?
8. Describe Ianto.
9. How does Gwilym react to Huw witnessing the birth secretly?
10. Who does Huw love and for how long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"How Green Was My Valley" is somewhat of a bildungsroman. What is a bildungsroman? What makes "How Green Was My Valley" a bildungsroman? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Love is a theme that is reflected throughout this novel in many ways. How is the theme of love reflected in the novel? How does Huw view love in this novel? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel experience significant emotional tension because of problems at the colliery. How is emotional tension displayed in the novel? Why is there emotional tension amongst the Morgans? How does each character cope with the tension and stress? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)