|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Mrs. Beynon have, including her newborn?
2. How does Gwilym welcome back his sons in Chapter 5?
3. What is Bronwen's father's profession?
4. What motivates Huw to agree with Davy's ideas on work?
5. What does Davy want to fight for in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the village portrayed in Chapter 1?
2. How does Huw describe his childhood?
3. How does Gwilym react to Huw witnessing the birth secretly?
4. Why is Davy upset in Chapter 2?
5. What causes Huw to start thinking for himself in his childhood?
6. What happens to Owen's love for Marged and why?
7. Who is Mrs. Jenkins?
8. What causes Davy, Owen, and Gwilym to leave home in Chapter 5?
9. What is one sign that "wickedness" has entered the valley?
10. What does Beth go to a workers' meeting for in Chapter 6, and how does she get there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there is some conflict in the family that reveals how the father, Gwilym, thinks of women. How does Gwilym perceive women generally? How does he perceive the actual women in his life? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Huw's relationship with his father is prominent in the novel. Describe Huw and Gwillym senior, and cite their similarities and differences. How does Huw see Gwillym? How does Gwillym view his son? How do their views affect the way they interact? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Depression plagues several characters in the novel at different times. How is the theme of depression reflected in the novel? What characters reflect the theme of depression? Why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)