|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
2. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
3. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
4. What does Lily ultimately do with the letters between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden?
5. At the beginning of book 2, chapter 13, how does Lily feel about the decisions she made regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily had relationships with many characters, both male and female, throughout The House of Mirth. Choose one of Lily's relationships with a male character and one relationship with a female character and explain how each of these relationships changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 2
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
Essay Topic 3
Name the characters - other than the main character - that are important to the story. Why is each character important? What does each character represent in the story?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)