|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 9, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do regarding her new position and living situation?
2. In book 2, chapter 9, what is the condition of Lily's surroundings when she begins her new job?
3. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
4. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
5. Who convinces Lily to marry Simon Rosedale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)