|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mrs. Gormer's attitude change toward Lily?
2. What does Lily ultimately do with the letters between Bertha Dorset and Lawrence Selden?
3. Who convinces Lily to marry Simon Rosedale?
4. What causes Lily's insomnia?
5. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton leaves the cause of Lily's death, accidental overdose, or suicide, unresolved in the reader's mind. Which cause of death do you believe the author was hinting at? Why? What clues does the author give that shows she is hinting at the answer to Lily's death?
Essay Topic 2
Answer all parts.
In The House of Mirth, we learn a great deal about Lily Bart.
1) List four adjectives that describe Lily's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief Lily has?
3) How does she act on this value or belief?
4) How does Lily change as the book progresses?
5) What causes Lily to change?
Essay Topic 3
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)