Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
2. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
3. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
4. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
5. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
Why did Edith Wharton choose The House of Mirth for the title of the novel?
1) Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton criticizes the relationships women have with each other because they are competitive and mean. Choose a relationship between two women in The House of Mirth that best exemplifies the competitive and mean spirit criticized by the author. Explain why you chose this particular relationship.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)