|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nettie Struther invite Lily to her home after seeing Lily in the park?
2. Why does Lily go to Alaska?
3. What does Lily confess to Lawrence Selden in book 2, chapter 12?
4. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
5. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
One theme developed by the author in The House of Mirth is how men and women related to each other during the time in history in which The House of Mirth is set. Compare and contrast the relationship between men and women during the time in which The House of Mirth is set to the relationship between men and women today.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)