|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
2. What does Lily realize about the decisions she makes regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
3. What happens to Lily because of a scandal involving Mrs. Hatch, her employer?
4. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
5. What does Lily do because she doesn't have a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lily had relationships with many characters, both male and female, throughout The House of Mirth. Choose one of Lily's relationships with a male character and one relationship with a female character and explain how each of these relationships changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 3
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)