|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what terms does Lily want to part with Simon Rosedale in book 2, chapter 7?
2. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Carry Fischer apologize to Lily ?
3. In book 1, chapter 1, what concerns Lawrence Selden and Lord Hubert Dacey about Lily?
4. What does Lily do because she doesn't have a job?
5. What does Lily realize about the decisions she makes regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
Essay Topic 3
Name the characters - other than the main character - that are important to the story. Why is each character important? What does each character represent in the story?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)