|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
2. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily feel when Simon Rosedale explains why he refuses to marry her?
3. What is Lily's immediate response to the offer Simon Rosedale makes to her in book 2, chapter 11 ?
4. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
5. What does the exhaustion and the stress of the day cause Lily to do when she tries to sleep the night she visited Nettie Struther?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily had relationships with many characters, both male and female, throughout The House of Mirth. Choose one of Lily's relationships with a male character and one relationship with a female character and explain how each of these relationships changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 2
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)