|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Lily comfort even as she grieves for her aunt?
2. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
3. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
4. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
5. At lunch in Monte Carlo, how does Lawrence Selden feel after his discussion about Lily with Carry Fischer ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of The House of Mirth influence the events of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Lily had relationships with many characters, both male and female, throughout The House of Mirth. Choose one of Lily's relationships with a male character and one relationship with a female character and explain how each of these relationships changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)