|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
2. On what terms does Lily want to part with Simon Rosedale in book 2, chapter 7?
3. What causes Lily's insomnia?
4. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
5. What type of work does Carry Fischer find for Lily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily had relationships with many characters, both male and female, throughout The House of Mirth. Choose one of Lily's relationships with a male character and one relationship with a female character and explain how each of these relationships changes as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 2
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
Essay Topic 3
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton comments on high society and the roles of women in society at the time in which The House of Mirth was written. Choose either the author's comments on high society or the author's comments on women's roles in society at the time. Include in your answer what you believe her opinion is, and why. What is the tone of these comments? What makes you think so? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)