|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
2. What is Lily's immediate response to the offer Simon Rosedale makes to her in book 2, chapter 11 ?
3. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
4. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
5. What problem does Lily forget about as she spends time in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton leaves the cause of Lily's death, accidental overdose, or suicide, unresolved in the reader's mind. Which cause of death do you believe the author was hinting at? Why? What clues does the author give that shows she is hinting at the answer to Lily's death?
Essay Topic 2
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton criticizes the relationships women have with each other because they are competitive and mean. Choose a relationship between two women in The House of Mirth that best exemplifies the competitive and mean spirit criticized by the author. Explain why you chose this particular relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence Selden and Percy Gryce symbolize a variety of ideas throughout The House of Mirth. Explain what each character symbolizes and how the symbolism applies to Lily's character. Give examples from the story.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)