|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
2. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
3. In book 2, chapter 8, what does Lawrence Selden find when he goes to see Lily at her hotel?
4. At lunch in Monte Carlo, how does Lawrence Selden feel after his discussion about Lily with Carry Fischer ?
5. What does Lily's aunt assume Lily's debt is for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
Edith Wharton ends The House of Mirth with a word left unsaid by both Lawrence Selden and Lily.
1) What do you think that word is? Why? Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
2) If Lawrence Selden and Lily had both been able to say the word to each other, would the ending of the story have been different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)