Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily relate Ned Silverton's situation with Bertha Dorset to her own life?
2. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
3. What does Simon Rosedale tell Lily to do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
4. What is Lily concerned about when she wakes up at Gerty's the morning after her argument with Gus Trenor?
5. Why does Lily decide she can't give Bertha Dorset the letters that Bertha and Lawrence Selden wrote to each other?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton leaves the cause of Lily's death, accidental overdose, or suicide, unresolved in the reader's mind. Which cause of death do you believe the author was hinting at? Why? What clues does the author give that shows she is hinting at the answer to Lily's death?
Essay Topic 2
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton comments on high society and the roles of women in society at the time in which The House of Mirth was written. Choose either the author's comments on high society or the author's comments on women's roles in society at the time. Include in your answer what you believe her opinion is, and why. What is the tone of these comments? What makes you think so? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Answer all parts.
Why did Edith Wharton choose The House of Mirth for the title of the novel?
1) Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)