|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
2. How does Lily react to Bertha's betrayal of her at the dinner party ?
3. In book 2, chapter 12, what feeling does Lily think Lawrence Selden has about their time together?
4. What does George Dorset ask Lily to do while at the Gormers?
5. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton leaves the cause of Lily's death, accidental overdose, or suicide, unresolved in the reader's mind. Which cause of death do you believe the author was hinting at? Why? What clues does the author give that shows she is hinting at the answer to Lily's death?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of The House of Mirth influence the events of the story?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)