|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem does Lily forget about as she spends time in Europe?
2. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
3. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
4. Who gains the most from Lily's aunt's will?
5. In book 2, chapter 6, what does Carry Fischer tell Lily about Bertha Dorset ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
Essay Topic 3
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)