|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily treat her new friends, the Gormers?
2. In book 2, chapter 10, how does Lily react to Simon Rosedale's offer of help ?
3. What new job does Lily acquire in book 2, chapter 10?
4. What is Lily's past relationship with Nettie Struther?
5. What happens in book 1, chapter 15, as Lily is about to accept Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Lily had relationships with many characters, both male and female, throughout The House of Mirth. Choose one of Lily's relationships with a male character and one relationship with a female character and explain how each of these relationships changes as the story progresses.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)