|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily receive when she returns home after leaving Nettie Struther?
2. In book 2, chapter 8, what does the situation with Bertha Dorset cause Ned Silverton to do?
3. How does Lily feel in her new position in book 2, chapter 9?
4. What does Lily realize about the decisions she makes regarding Simon Rosedale and Bertha Dorset when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
5. When Lily returns from Alaska, what advice does Carry Fischer give her ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)