|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily receive when she returns home after leaving Nettie Struther?
2. What does Lily tell her aunt the debt is for?
3. In book 2, chapter 6, why does George Dorset apologize to Lily while at the Gormers ?
4. In book 2, chapter 12, what feeling does Lily think Lawrence Selden has about their time together?
5. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
In The House of Mirth, we learn a great deal about Lily Bart.
1) List four adjectives that describe Lily's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief Lily has?
3) How does she act on this value or belief?
4) How does Lily change as the book progresses?
5) What causes Lily to change?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)