|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
2. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
3. How does Lily feel when she wakes up on the Dorset's yacht the morning after she sees Lawrence Selden in Nice?
4. What does Lawrence Selden tell Lily about the Dorsets' possible divorce?
5. What does Lily receive when she returns home after leaving Nettie Struther?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence Selden and Percy Gryce symbolize a variety of ideas throughout The House of Mirth. Explain what each character symbolizes and how the symbolism applies to Lily's character. Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton criticizes the relationships women have with each other because they are competitive and mean. Choose a relationship between two women in The House of Mirth that best exemplifies the competitive and mean spirit criticized by the author. Explain why you chose this particular relationship.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)