|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 12, what experience with Lawrence Selden does Lily say she will always remember?
2. How does Lily feel about being accepted into the new social circle Carry Fischer introduced her to ?
3. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Bertha betray Lily at the end of the dinner party ?
4. Why is George Dorset at the Gormer's home at the same time Lily was there?
5. How does Gerty Farish feel about Lily's trip to Alaska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
Edith Wharton ends The House of Mirth with a word left unsaid by both Lawrence Selden and Lily.
1) What do you think that word is? Why? Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
2) If Lawrence Selden and Lily had both been able to say the word to each other, would the ending of the story have been different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
One theme developed by the author in The House of Mirth is how men and women related to each other during the time in history in which The House of Mirth is set. Compare and contrast the relationship between men and women during the time in which The House of Mirth is set to the relationship between men and women today.
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)