|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Dorset decide to do after Lily finds him upset on her way back to the yacht?
2. Why does Lily go to Alaska?
3. Other than a vacation from work, why is Lawrence Selden in Monte Carlo in book 2, chapter 1?
4. When Lily returns from Alaska, what advice does Carry Fischer give her ?
5. When Lily finds Simon Rosedale waiting for her at her room in book 2, chapter 11, what does he offer Lily?
Essay Topic 1
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton criticizes the relationships women have with each other because they are competitive and mean. Choose a relationship between two women in The House of Mirth that best exemplifies the competitive and mean spirit criticized by the author. Explain why you chose this particular relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the causes of Lily Bart's ultimate downfall? Which causes are external? Which causes are internal? Which cause had the greatest influence on Lily's downfall? Why? Was this cause an external or an internal cause?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)