|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
2. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
3. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
4. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
5. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the story, what helps Lawrence Selden understand Lily's financial arrangement with Gus Trenor?
2. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
3. In book 1, chapter 13, how does Lily feel when Gus Trenor reveals his true intentions toward her?
4. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
5. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
6. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Lily describe Gerty Farish?
7. Even though Lily is in love with Lawrence Selden,why does she fight her feelings for him?
8. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
9. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
10. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)