|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
2. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
3. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
4. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
Short Essay Questions
1. At lunch in Monte Carlo, Carry Fischer tells Lawrence Selden that a prince was about to propose to Lily, and then Lily started flirting with his stepson. What incident from book 1 is this situation similar to regarding Lawrence Selden?
2. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
3. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
4. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
5. What is Lily's goal in life?
6. In book 1, chapter 1, what is the reason for Lily's reaction to Lawrence Selden's suggestion that they have tea at the popular cafe as Lily waits for her train?
7. Summarize Lily's family history.
8. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
9. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
10. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
Essay Topic 3
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)