|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
2. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
3. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
4. Who is Gerty Farish?
5. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
2. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
3. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
4. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
5. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
6. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
7. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
8. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
9. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
10. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton leaves the cause of Lily's death, accidental overdose, or suicide, unresolved in the reader's mind. Which cause of death do you believe the author was hinting at? Why? What clues does the author give that shows she is hinting at the answer to Lily's death?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
This section contains 1,653 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)