|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
2. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
3. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
4. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
5. Who is Gerty Farish?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
2. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
3. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily realize about herself based on Simon Rosedale's love for her?
4. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Lily show her characteristic poor judgment in her friendship with men, namely George Dorset?
5. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
6. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
7. Explain Lily's reaction to Nettie Struther's living conditions.
8. In book 1, chapter 13, how does Lily feel when Gus Trenor reveals his true intentions toward her?
9. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
10. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)