|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
2. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
3. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
4. In book 1, chapter 12, what type of party entertainment does Lily participate in?
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
3. Describe Lawrence Selden's background.
4. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
5. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
6. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
7. What are Nettie Struther's feelings toward Lily?
8. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
9. Even though Lily is in love with Lawrence Selden,why does she fight her feelings for him?
10. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
Essay Topic 1
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence Selden and Percy Gryce symbolize a variety of ideas throughout The House of Mirth. Explain what each character symbolizes and how the symbolism applies to Lily's character. Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)