Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
3. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
4. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
5. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
3. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
4. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
5. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
6. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
7. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
10. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
At the end of The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton leaves the cause of Lily's death, accidental overdose, or suicide, unresolved in the reader's mind. Which cause of death do you believe the author was hinting at? Why? What clues does the author give that shows she is hinting at the answer to Lily's death?
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)