|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
2. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
3. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
4. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
Short Essay Questions
1. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
3. Explain Lily's reaction to Nettie Struther's living conditions.
4. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
5. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
6. How would an objective observer describe Gerty Farish?
7. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
8. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
9. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
10. What does Gerty Farish advise Lily to do regarding the situation in Monte Carlo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain one of the following themes as it is developed in The House of Mirth. Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
1) Lily's use of beauty as wealth and to gain wealth.
2) Lily's inability to judge what is appropriate and what is not in her relationships with men.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses foreshadowing throughout The House of Mirth. Give three examples of what you think are the most effective uses of foreshadowing in the story, and why you think these examples are the most effective. Include in your answer what these events foreshadow.
Essay Topic 3
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)