|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
2. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
3. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
4. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
5. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lawrence Selden's background.
2. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
3. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
4. In book 1, chapter 4, what is the warning Mrs. Trenor gives to Lily?
5. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
6. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
7. What does Lawrence Selden realize about his relationship with Lily after he finds she has died?
8. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
9. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
10. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
Why did Edith Wharton choose The House of Mirth for the title of the novel?
1) Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton criticizes the relationships women have with each other because they are competitive and mean. Choose a relationship between two women in The House of Mirth that best exemplifies the competitive and mean spirit criticized by the author. Explain why you chose this particular relationship.
Essay Topic 3
List the main events from The House of Mirth. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)