|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gus Trenor's reaction when Lily tells him that Mrs. Trenor wants her to marry Percy Gryce?
2. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
3. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
4. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
2. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
3. At lunch in Monte Carlo, Carry Fischer tells Lawrence Selden that a prince was about to propose to Lily, and then Lily started flirting with his stepson. What incident from book 1 is this situation similar to regarding Lawrence Selden?
4. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
5. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
6. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
7. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
10. How would an objective observer describe Gerty Farish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)