|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
2. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
3. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
4. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
5. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lily's goal in attending church with Percy Gryce?
2. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
3. What does Gerty Farish tell Lawrence Selden about Lily in book 2, chapter 8?
4. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
5. What does Lawrence Selden realize about his relationship with Lily after he finds she has died?
6. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
7. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
8. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
9. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
10. What does Gerty Farish advise Lily to do regarding the situation in Monte Carlo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton comments on high society and the roles of women in society at the time in which The House of Mirth was written. Choose either the author's comments on high society or the author's comments on women's roles in society at the time. Include in your answer what you believe her opinion is, and why. What is the tone of these comments? What makes you think so? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
This section contains 1,571 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)