|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
2. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
3. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
4. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
5. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
2. What are Nettie Struther's feelings toward Lily?
3. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
4. What does Gerty Farish tell Lawrence Selden about Lily in book 2, chapter 8?
5. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
6. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
7. Summarize Lily's family history.
8. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Lily describe Gerty Farish?
9. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
10. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence Selden and Percy Gryce symbolize a variety of ideas throughout The House of Mirth. Explain what each character symbolizes and how the symbolism applies to Lily's character. Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
What are the causes of Lily Bart's ultimate downfall? Which causes are external? Which causes are internal? Which cause had the greatest influence on Lily's downfall? Why? Was this cause an external or an internal cause?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)