|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
2. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
3. What does nouveau riche mean?
4. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
5. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Lily's family history.
2. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
3. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
4. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
5. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
6. At lunch in Monte Carlo, Carry Fischer tells Lawrence Selden that a prince was about to propose to Lily, and then Lily started flirting with his stepson. What incident from book 1 is this situation similar to regarding Lawrence Selden?
7. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily view the morality of accepting money from Gus Trenor, and the morality of using the letters she acquired from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
8. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
9. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
10. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Answer all parts.
Why did Edith Wharton choose The House of Mirth for the title of the novel?
1) Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)