|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
3. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
4. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
5. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
3. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
4. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
5. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
6. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
7. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
10. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
Essay Topic 1
The House of Mirth was written using elements of both realism and romanticism. Explore the difference between romanticism and realism, presenting examples from the novel to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Answer all parts.
Why did Edith Wharton choose The House of Mirth for the title of the novel?
1) Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)