|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
3. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
4. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
5. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
2. Explain Carry Fischer's reasoning in book 2, chapter 6, for Lily to marry either George Dorset or Simon Rosedale.
3. What does Gerty Farish tell Lawrence Selden about Lily in book 2, chapter 8?
4. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
5. Why doesn't Lily use the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen to get back at Bertha Dorset?
6. Even though Lily is in love with Lawrence Selden,why does she fight her feelings for him?
7. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
8. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
9. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
10. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Answer all parts.
In The House of Mirth, we learn a great deal about Lily Bart.
1) List four adjectives that describe Lily's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief Lily has?
3) How does she act on this value or belief?
4) How does Lily change as the book progresses?
5) What causes Lily to change?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)