|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does nouveau riche mean?
2. Who is Gerty Farish?
3. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
4. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
5. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
2. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Lily show her characteristic poor judgment in her friendship with men, namely George Dorset?
3. Explain Lily's reaction to Nettie Struther's living conditions.
4. Why does Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady, think that Lily would want the letters she found while cleaning Lawrence Selden's apartment?
5. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
6. In book 1, chapter 13, how does Lily feel when Gus Trenor reveals his true intentions toward her?
7. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily view the morality of accepting money from Gus Trenor, and the morality of using the letters she acquired from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
8. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
9. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
10. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme developed by the author in The House of Mirth is how men and women related to each other during the time in history in which The House of Mirth is set. Compare and contrast the relationship between men and women during the time in which The House of Mirth is set to the relationship between men and women today.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the following statement: The only difference between a falsehood and a truth is whom people choose to believe.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from The House of Mirth that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Answer all parts.
Edith Wharton ends The House of Mirth with a word left unsaid by both Lawrence Selden and Lily.
1) What do you think that word is? Why? Use examples from the story to explain your answer.
2) If Lawrence Selden and Lily had both been able to say the word to each other, would the ending of the story have been different? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)