Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
3. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
4. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
5. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
3. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
4. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
5. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
6. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
7. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
10. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
Essay Topic 1
Explain why The House of Mirth is called "a novel of manners." Give examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
Essay Topic 3
In The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton criticizes the relationships women have with each other because they are competitive and mean. Choose a relationship between two women in The House of Mirth that best exemplifies the competitive and mean spirit criticized by the author. Explain why you chose this particular relationship.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)