|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
2. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
4. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
5. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lily believe it would be better to marry Simon Rosedale instead of George Dorset?
2. Explain Carry Fischer's reasoning in book 2, chapter 6, for Lily to marry either George Dorset or Simon Rosedale.
3. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
4. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
5. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
6. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
7. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
8. In book 1, chapter 4, what is the warning Mrs. Trenor gives to Lily?
9. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Lily show her characteristic poor judgment in her friendship with men, namely George Dorset?
10. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily view the morality of accepting money from Gus Trenor, and the morality of using the letters she acquired from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about one of the following concepts as it relates to The House of Mirth. Give examples from the story that explain your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is The House of Mirth is an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the causes of Lily Bart's ultimate downfall? Which causes are external? Which causes are internal? Which cause had the greatest influence on Lily's downfall? Why? Was this cause an external or an internal cause?
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)