|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Simon and Lily to the event ?
(a) Carry Fischer.
(b) Gerty Farish.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Percy Gryce.
2. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
(a) He breaks even.
(b) He loses everything.
(c) His stock portfolio is cut in half.
(d) It grows.
3. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
(b) He consoles Lily.
(c) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(d) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
4. What is Carry Fischer's job?
(a) She helps newly rich families enter high society.
(b) She is an investment broker.
(c) She is a social worker.
(d) She is a professional party-planner for the social elite.
5. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
2. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
3. In book 1, chapter 8, what does Gus Trenor do with Lily's money?
4. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
2. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
3. What is Lily's goal in attending church with Percy Gryce?
4. At the end of the story, what helps Lawrence Selden understand Lily's financial arrangement with Gus Trenor?
5. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
6. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Lily show her characteristic poor judgment in her friendship with men, namely George Dorset?
7. In book 2, chapter 7, what is Simon Rosedale's explanation to Lily for his refusal to marry her?
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
10. Explain Carry Fischer's reasoning in book 2, chapter 6, for Lily to marry either George Dorset or Simon Rosedale.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)