|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Percy Gryce.
2. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Gives them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(b) Gives them back to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Hides them.
(d) Burns them.
3. In book 1, chapter 8, what does Gus Trenor do with Lily's money?
(a) Loses it playing poker.
(b) Donates it to Lily's favorite charity.
(c) Spends it on Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Invests it.
4. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
(b) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Hide them.
5. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(d) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
2. What does nouveau riche mean?
3. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
4. Who accompanies Simon and Lily to the event ?
5. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
2. What does Gerty Farish think will happen between her and Lawrence Selden because of their friendship for Lily?
3. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
4. What does Lawrence Selden realize about his relationship with Lily after he finds she has died?
5. In book 2, chapter 7, what is Simon Rosedale's explanation to Lily for his refusal to marry her?
6. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
7. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. What is Lily's goal in life?
10. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)