|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(b) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) She misses the bus to church.
(d) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
2. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(b) Spends time with her aunt.
(c) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(d) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
3. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
4. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(b) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
(c) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(d) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He tells her that he loves her.
(b) He wants to see her the next day.
(c) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
2. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
3. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
4. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
5. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lawrence Selden's background.
2. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
3. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
4. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
5. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
6. What is Lily's goal in life?
7. Why does Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady, think that Lily would want the letters she found while cleaning Lawrence Selden's apartment?
8. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
9. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
10. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)