|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(b) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(c) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
(d) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
3. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
(b) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(d) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
4. In book 1, chapter 12, what type of party entertainment does Lily participate in?
(b) Tableaux vivants.
(c) Nouveau riche.
(d) A bridge tournament.
5. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
(a) She tells Percy she needs to help Mrs. Trenor.
(b) She lies to Percy about having a headache.
(c) She asks Bertha Dorset to lie for her.
(d) Percy tells Lily he has a headache.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
2. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
3. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
4. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
5. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
2. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
3. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
4. Why doesn't Lily use the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen to get back at Bertha Dorset?
5. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
6. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
7. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
8. Describe Lawrence Selden's background.
9. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
10. What is Lily's goal in attending church with Percy Gryce?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)