|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
2. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She immediately agrees.
(b) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(c) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
3. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(a) Mutual acquaintances.
(c) Her busy social schedule.
(d) The stock market.
4. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
(b) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(c) Hide them.
(d) Burn them.
5. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
(a) Gerty sees the attraction between Lawrence and Lily when she comes to Gerty's apartment.
(b) His feelings for Lily are obvious when he speaks of her at dinner.
(c) He tells Gerty that he does not want to marry her.
(d) Bertha Dorset tracks Lawrence Selden down at Gerty's and tells him that he can have Lily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gus Trenor's reaction when Lily tells him that Mrs. Trenor wants her to marry Percy Gryce?
2. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
3. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
4. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
5. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Grace Stepney tell her aunt about Lily?
2. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
3. Why doesn't Lily use the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen to get back at Bertha Dorset?
4. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
5. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Lily describe Gerty Farish?
6. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
7. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
8. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
9. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
10. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)