|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
(b) The sound of a car.
(c) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(d) A sudden downpour.
2. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(d) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
3. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
4. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
(a) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to forget about Percy Gryce.
(b) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to confront Bertha Dorset.
(c) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily what Bertha Dorset said about her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to ignore Bertha Dorset.
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
3. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
4. What does nouveau riche mean?
5. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
2. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
3. In book 1, chapter 15, what does Lily realize regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
4. What are Nettie Struther's feelings toward Lily?
5. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
6. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
7. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
8. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
9. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
10. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)