|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) New York City, New York.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) London, England.
2. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) He can help her with her money problems.
(b) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(c) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
(d) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
3. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
(b) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(c) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(d) He consoles Lily.
4. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
(b) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(c) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(d) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
5. In book 1, chapter 10, where does Simon Rosedale invite Lily to go?
(a) An exclusive fundraising event.
(b) A camp in the Adirondacks.
(c) The opera.
(d) A party at his apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
2. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
3. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
4. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
5. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Lily is in love with Lawrence Selden,why does she fight her feelings for him?
2. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
3. Why does Lily believe it would be better to marry Simon Rosedale instead of George Dorset?
4. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
5. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
6. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
7. In book 1, chapter 1, what is the reason for Lily's reaction to Lawrence Selden's suggestion that they have tea at the popular cafe as Lily waits for her train?
8. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily continue her arrangement with Gus Trenor?
9. In book 2, chapter 7, how does Lily view the morality of accepting money from Gus Trenor, and the morality of using the letters she acquired from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
10. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)