|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(b) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(c) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(d) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
2. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(b) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(c) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
(d) She doesn't know where else to go.
3. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(d) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
4. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1800s.
(c) Early 1900s.
5. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
(b) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(c) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
(d) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
2. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
3. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
4. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
2. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
3. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
4. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
5. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
6. In book 2, chapter 7, what is Simon Rosedale's explanation to Lily for his refusal to marry her?
7. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily continue her arrangement with Gus Trenor?
8. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
9. How would an objective observer describe Gerty Farish?
10. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)