|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(b) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
(c) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(d) Propose to Percy Gryce.
2. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
3. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
(b) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
(c) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(d) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
4. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
(a) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to forget about Percy Gryce.
(b) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to confront Bertha Dorset.
(c) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily what Bertha Dorset said about her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to ignore Bertha Dorset.
5. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
(b) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(c) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(d) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
2. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
3. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
4. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
5. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
2. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
3. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
4. What does Gerty Farish advise Lily to do regarding the situation in Monte Carlo?
5. At the end of the story, what helps Lawrence Selden understand Lily's financial arrangement with Gus Trenor?
6. At lunch in Monte Carlo, Carry Fischer tells Lawrence Selden that a prince was about to propose to Lily, and then Lily started flirting with his stepson. What incident from book 1 is this situation similar to regarding Lawrence Selden?
7. In book 1, chapter 1, what is the reason for Lily's reaction to Lawrence Selden's suggestion that they have tea at the popular cafe as Lily waits for her train?
8. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
9. In book 1, chapter 4, what is the warning Mrs. Trenor gives to Lily?
10. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)