|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She immediately agrees.
(b) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(c) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
2. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(b) Take over her duties as hostess.
(c) Secretarial tasks.
(d) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
3. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(b) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(c) The morning of the party.
(d) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
4. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
(b) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
(d) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
5. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(b) She doesn't know where else to go.
(c) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(d) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
2. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
4. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
5. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
2. Explain Carry Fischer's reasoning in book 2, chapter 6, for Lily to marry either George Dorset or Simon Rosedale.
3. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
4. What does Lawrence Selden realize about his relationship with Lily after he finds she has died?
5. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Grace Stepney tell her aunt about Lily?
6. Why does Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady, think that Lily would want the letters she found while cleaning Lawrence Selden's apartment?
7. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
8. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
9. How would an objective observer describe Gerty Farish?
10. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)