|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He tells her that he loves her.
(b) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(c) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
(d) He wants to see her the next day.
2. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She lives with an aunt who finances her extravagant lifestyle.
(b) She is poor and has to work to support her meager lifestyle.
(c) She is an heiress, independently wealthy.
(d) She is homeless, having lost everything to a conniving ex-fiance.
3. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(b) Secretarial tasks.
(c) Take over her duties as hostess.
(d) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
4. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
(a) If Lawrence Selden came to Bellomont to see her or Bertha Dorset.
(b) If she should agree to marry Simon Rosedale.
(c) If she should ask Gus Trenor for a loan
(d) If she should really go through with her plan to win over Percy Gryce.
5. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(b) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
(c) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(d) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
2. In book 1, chapter 8, what does Gus Trenor do with Lily's money?
3. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
4. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
5. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lily's reaction to Nettie Struther's living conditions.
2. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
3. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
4. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
5. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
6. In book 1, chapter 15, what does Lily realize regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
7. In book 1, chapter 1, what is the reason for Lily's reaction to Lawrence Selden's suggestion that they have tea at the popular cafe as Lily waits for her train?
8. At the end of the story, what helps Lawrence Selden understand Lily's financial arrangement with Gus Trenor?
9. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
10. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)