|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Embarrassed and ashamed.
(b) Despondent and discouraged.
(c) Hopeful and happy.
(d) Cautious, but encouraged.
2. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(b) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
(c) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
(d) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
3. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
(a) Mrs. Trenor has been ill for an extended period of time.
(b) Gus Trenor tricked Lily into seeing him alone.
(c) Gus Trenor is going to discontinue his financial support of Lily.
(d) Mrs. Trenor suspects that Lily and Gus are having a love affair.
4. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(b) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Propose to Percy Gryce.
(d) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
(b) He tells her that he loves her.
(c) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) He wants to see her the next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
2. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
3. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
4. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
5. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
2. In book 2, chapter 7, what is Simon Rosedale's explanation to Lily for his refusal to marry her?
3. Why does Lily turn down Carry Fischer's offer to care for the Welly Brys?
4. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily continue her arrangement with Gus Trenor?
5. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
6. In book 1, chapter 4, what is the warning Mrs. Trenor gives to Lily?
7. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Grace Stepney tell her aunt about Lily?
8. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
9. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Lily describe Gerty Farish?
10. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)