|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(b) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Propose to Percy Gryce.
(d) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
2. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Take over her duties as hostess.
(b) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(c) Secretarial tasks.
(d) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
3. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Embarrassed and ashamed.
(b) Cautious, but encouraged.
(c) Hopeful and happy.
(d) Despondent and discouraged.
4. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
5. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
(a) She asks Bertha Dorset to lie for her.
(b) She tells Percy she needs to help Mrs. Trenor.
(c) She lies to Percy about having a headache.
(d) Percy tells Lily he has a headache.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
2. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
3. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
4. In book 1, chapter 12, what type of party entertainment does Lily participate in?
5. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
2. Even though Lily is in love with Lawrence Selden,why does she fight her feelings for him?
3. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Grace Stepney tell her aunt about Lily?
4. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
5. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Lily show her characteristic poor judgment in her friendship with men, namely George Dorset?
6. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
7. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
8. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
9. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
10. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)