|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For showing too much of her body at the party.
(b) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(c) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(d) For attending the tasteless party.
2. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(b) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(c) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
(d) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
3. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
(b) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(c) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
(d) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
4. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
(a) She hopes Percy Gryce will walk by on his way home from church.
(b) She hopes Lawrence Selden will catch up with her.
(c) The weather is perfect.
(d) She wants to have as much time as possible outside to get rid of her headache.
5. Why does Lily join a party with Carry Fischer and another couple in the Adirondacks?
(a) Lily wants to spend the money she received from Gus Trenor.
(b) Lily wants to get away from Gus Trenor.
(c) Lily needs to take a vacation.
(d) Lily has no other social engagements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
2. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
3. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
4. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
5. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerty Farish tell Lawrence Selden about Lily in book 2, chapter 8?
2. In book 1, chapter 4, how does the author use the gossip of Judy Trenor?
3. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
4. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
5. At lunch in Monte Carlo, Carry Fischer tells Lawrence Selden that a prince was about to propose to Lily, and then Lily started flirting with his stepson. What incident from book 1 is this situation similar to regarding Lawrence Selden?
6. What does Gerty Farish think will happen between her and Lawrence Selden because of their friendship for Lily?
7. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
8. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
9. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily continue her arrangement with Gus Trenor?
10. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)