|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
(a) He talks about their common interests.
(b) He tells her that she should marry.
(c) He talks about the future.
(d) He flatters her endlessly.
2. What is Gus Trenor's reaction when Lily tells him that Mrs. Trenor wants her to marry Percy Gryce?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He tells Lily how much money Percy Gryce makes.
(c) He tells Lily he will speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(d) He is elated.
3. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) Rich food.
(b) New money.
(c) A novel about money.
(d) A novel about rich people.
4. In book 1, chapter 12, what type of party entertainment does Lily participate in?
(b) A bridge tournament.
(c) Nouveau riche.
(d) Tableaux vivants.
5. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(b) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(c) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
(d) Spends time with her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
2. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
3. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
4. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
5. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Lily describe Gerty Farish?
2. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
3. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
4. In book 1, chapter 1, what is the reason for Lily's reaction to Lawrence Selden's suggestion that they have tea at the popular cafe as Lily waits for her train?
5. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
6. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
7. In book 1, chapter 13, how does Lily feel when Gus Trenor reveals his true intentions toward her?
8. In book 1, chapter 15, what does Lily realize regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
9. In book 1, chapter 7, what does Bertha Dorset do to get back at Lily for spending Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden?
10. Explain Carry Fischer's reasoning in book 2, chapter 6, for Lily to marry either George Dorset or Simon Rosedale.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)