|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(d) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
2. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(b) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(c) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
(d) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
3. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(b) She immediately agrees.
(c) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
4. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He consoles Lily.
(b) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(c) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(d) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
5. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(b) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
(c) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(d) Spends time with her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carry Fischer's job?
2. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
3. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
4. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
5. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Nettie Struther's feelings toward Lily?
2. What is Lily's goal in life?
3. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
4. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
5. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Lily show her characteristic poor judgment in her friendship with men, namely George Dorset?
6. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily realize about herself based on Simon Rosedale's love for her?
7. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Grace Stepney tell her aunt about Lily?
8. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
9. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
10. Summarize Lily's family history.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)