|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(b) The train station.
(c) Her aunt's home.
(d) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
2. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
(b) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
(c) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(d) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
3. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(b) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(c) Miss Gerty Farish.
(d) Mrs. George Dorset.
4. What event does George Dorset invite Lily to in book 1, chapter 10?
(a) A party at his home.
(b) The opera.
(c) A party in the Adirondacks.
(d) A prayer service.
5. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going to work.
(b) She is waiting for an old friend.
(c) She is going on vacation.
(d) She is going to a social engagement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
2. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
3. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
4. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
5. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
2. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
3. Why does Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady, think that Lily would want the letters she found while cleaning Lawrence Selden's apartment?
4. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
5. What is Lily's goal in life?
6. Summarize Lily's family history.
7. In book 1, chapter 13, how does Lily feel when Gus Trenor reveals his true intentions toward her?
8. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
9. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
10. In book 1, chapter 15, what does Lily realize regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)