|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
(b) Propose to Percy Gryce.
(c) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
2. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1900s.
(d) Early 1800s.
3. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
(a) Gerty sees the attraction between Lawrence and Lily when she comes to Gerty's apartment.
(b) Bertha Dorset tracks Lawrence Selden down at Gerty's and tells him that he can have Lily.
(c) He tells Gerty that he does not want to marry her.
(d) His feelings for Lily are obvious when he speaks of her at dinner.
4. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She doesn't know where else to go.
(b) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
(c) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(d) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
5. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
(a) Simon Rosedale.
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Lily's aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
2. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
3. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
4. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
5. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
2. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily donate money to the charity Gerty Farish tells her about?
3. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
4. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
5. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
6. In book 1, chapter 1, why is Lawrence Selden surprised that Lily accepts his offer to have tea alone with him in his apartment?
7. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
8. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
9. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
10. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)