|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily do when she arrives at Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She has a breakdown and falls asleep in Gerty's bed.
(b) She cries hysterically and tells Gerty what happened with Gus Trenor.
(c) She calmly relates the events that occurred with Gus Trenor.
(d) She stares out the window speechlessly.
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(c) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
3. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
(b) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(c) The sound of a car.
(d) A sudden downpour.
4. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(b) She doesn't know where else to go.
(c) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(d) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
5. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
(b) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(c) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(d) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
3. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
4. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
5. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
2. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily realize about herself based on Simon Rosedale's love for her?
3. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
4. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
5. In book 1, chapter 12, what is the status of the relationship between Lily and Lawrence Selden?
6. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
7. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Grace Stepney tell her aunt about Lily?
8. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
9. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily continue her arrangement with Gus Trenor?
10. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)