|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carry Fischer's job?
(a) She is an investment broker.
(b) She helps newly rich families enter high society.
(c) She is a professional party-planner for the social elite.
(d) She is a social worker.
2. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
(b) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(c) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(d) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
3. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(b) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
(c) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(d) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
4. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(b) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(d) She misses the bus to church.
5. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
2. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
3. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
4. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
5. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 15, what does Lily realize regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
2. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
3. While dining in Monte Carlo, what does Carry Fischer criticize Lily about to Lawrence Selden ?
4. Describe Lawrence Selden's background.
5. What does Gerty Farish advise Lily to do regarding the situation in Monte Carlo?
6. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
7. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
8. What is Lily's goal in life?
9. Explain Carry Fischer's reasoning in book 2, chapter 6, for Lily to marry either George Dorset or Simon Rosedale.
10. What are Nettie Struther's feelings toward Lily?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)