|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
(b) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
(c) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(d) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
2. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
(a) They share the same ideas of success in life.
(b) They are both in love with other people.
(c) They have nothing in common.
(d) Their true feelings for each other.
3. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
(a) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to ignore Bertha Dorset.
(b) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to confront Bertha Dorset.
(c) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily what Bertha Dorset said about her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to forget about Percy Gryce.
4. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
(a) From the book she was reading on the train.
(b) From a conversation with Lawrence Selden.
(c) From her own hobby.
(d) From gossip with friends in her own social circlre.
5. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
(b) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(c) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
2. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
3. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
4. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
5. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three options does Lily have regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
2. What is Lily's goal in life?
3. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
4. Describe Lily's new social circle, introduced to her by Carry Fischer in book 2, chapter 5.
5. Explain Lily's dilemma regarding Lawrence Selden and Simon Rosedale.
6. Why does Lily turn down Carry Fischer's offer to care for the Welly Brys?
7. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
8. In book 2, chapter 5, why does Lily think Simon Rosedale will marry her for love?
9. Why does Lily believe it would be better to marry Simon Rosedale instead of George Dorset?
10. What will Lily's marriage to Simon Rosedale mean to Lily's self-perception?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)