|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
(a) Percy lost his fortune and is penniless.
(b) Percy is planning on proposing to Gerty.
(c) Percy is planning on proposing to Lily.
(d) Percy is interested in Miss Van Osburgh.
2. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(a) Mutual acquaintances.
(c) The stock market.
(d) Her busy social schedule.
3. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) The sound of a car.
(b) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(c) A sudden downpour.
(d) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
4. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She misses the bus to church.
(b) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(d) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
5. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
(b) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(c) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(d) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
2. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
4. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
5. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lily believe it would be better to marry Simon Rosedale instead of George Dorset?
2. In book 2, chapter 10, what is Lily's outlook on life now that she no longer has her social status?
3. How does Lily react after Mrs. Trenor talks to her about Bertha Dorset in book 1, chapter 7?
4. In book 1, chapter 11, what does Lily's aunt do after Grace Stepney talks to her about Lily?
5. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
6. Explain Lily's reaction to Nettie Struther's living conditions.
7. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
8. At lunch in Monte Carlo, Carry Fischer tells Lawrence Selden that a prince was about to propose to Lily, and then Lily started flirting with his stepson. What incident from book 1 is this situation similar to regarding Lawrence Selden?
9. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
10. What does Lawrence Selden realize about his relationship with Lily after he finds she has died?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)