|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) A novel about rich people.
(b) A novel about money.
(c) Rich food.
(d) New money.
2. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(b) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(c) She says she prefers a less popular location.
(d) She immediately agrees.
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
(a) To complete a chore for Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Getting fresh air to get rid of her headache.
(c) Catching up with her high-ranking friends in her social circle.
(d) To walk to church to meet Percy Gryce on his way home from church.
4. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She is happy to see him.
(b) She sends her companion to get him.
(c) She avoids him.
(d) She cries.
5. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Gus Trenor.
(b) Percy Gryce.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) Lawrence Selden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
2. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
3. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
4. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
5. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
2. Explain Lily's reaction to Nettie Struther's living conditions.
3. In book 1, chapter 13, how does Lily feel when Gus Trenor reveals his true intentions toward her?
4. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
5. Describe Lawrence Selden's background.
6. After Bertha has betrays Lily, how does Lawrence Selden feel toward Lily?
7. How does Lily deceive herself regarding her motives toward Percy Gryce and Lawrence Selden?
8. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily realize about herself based on Simon Rosedale's love for her?
9. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
10. What does Gerty Farish think will happen between her and Lawrence Selden because of their friendship for Lily?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)