|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) A prayer service.
(b) A party.
(c) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(d) Cleaning day.
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is waiting for an old friend.
(b) She is going on vacation.
(c) She is going to a social engagement.
(d) She is going to work.
3. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
4. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) New York City, New York.
(b) London, England.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Paris, France.
5. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
(a) Mrs. Trenor suspects that Lily and Gus are having a love affair.
(b) Gus Trenor is going to discontinue his financial support of Lily.
(c) Gus Trenor tricked Lily into seeing him alone.
(d) Mrs. Trenor has been ill for an extended period of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
2. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
3. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
4. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
5. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
Short Essay Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily decide to do when she wakes up the morning after Simon Rosedale makes his offer to her?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lawrence Selden warn Lily about regarding her goals?
3. What does Lily believe Gerty Farish will provide for her when she goes to Gerty's apartment after she argues with Gus Trenor?
4. What example of racism does Lily demonstrate in book 1, chapter 2?
5. In book1, chapter 12, why is Bertha Dorset interested in renewing her friendship with Lily?
6. In book 2, chapter 3, why is Lawrence Selden afraid for Lily's safety regarding Bertha Dorset?
7. Compare Lawrence Selden's feelings about women with Lily's feelings about women.
8. In book 2, chapter 8, what is the status of Lily's relationship with Gerty Farish?
9. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
10. Explain Lawrence Selden's idea of success.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)