|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 10, where does Simon Rosedale invite Lily to go?
(a) A party at his apartment.
(b) An exclusive fundraising event.
(c) The opera.
(d) A camp in the Adirondacks.
2. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) A prayer service.
(b) A party.
(c) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(d) Cleaning day.
3. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She sends her companion to get him.
(b) She is happy to see him.
(c) She avoids him.
(d) She cries.
4. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He consoles Lily.
(b) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(c) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(d) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
5. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(b) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
(c) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
(d) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
2. Who accompanies Simon and Lily to the event ?
3. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
4. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
5. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lawrence Selden realize about his relationship with Lily after he finds she has died?
2. In book 2, chapter 9, how does Lawrence Selden react when Lily reprimands him for not visiting her sooner than he did?
3. Why does Lily envy Lawrence Selden's lifestyle?
4. Explain the attitudes of Lily's family members in relation to her social standing and inheritance from her aunt.
5. Describe the steps Lily uses in book 1, chapter 2, to attract the attention of Percy Gryce while on the train to the party at Bellomont.
6. What is Lily's goal in life?
7. In book 1, chapter 15, what does Lily realize regarding her debt to Gus Trenor?
8. What does Gerty Farish think will happen between her and Lawrence Selden because of their friendship for Lily?
9. In book 2, chapter 11, what does Lily realize about herself based on Simon Rosedale's love for her?
10. Lily meets and has tea with Simon Rosedale while on her way home from the chemist. What does Lily tell him?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)