|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
2. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
(b) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Hide them.
3. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) London, England.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) New York City, New York.
(d) Paris, France.
4. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) A divorced party guest.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
5. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) A party.
(b) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(c) A prayer service.
(d) Cleaning day.
6. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He wants to see her the next day.
(b) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(c) He tells her that he loves her.
(d) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
7. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
8. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) A novel about rich people.
(b) New money.
(c) Rich food.
(d) A novel about money.
9. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
(a) Gus Trenor tricked Lily into seeing him alone.
(b) Gus Trenor is going to discontinue his financial support of Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor suspects that Lily and Gus are having a love affair.
(d) Mrs. Trenor has been ill for an extended period of time.
10. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
(a) It helps improve her mood.
(b) It doesn't affect her mood.
(c) It continues her bad mood.
(d) It puts her in a cautious mood.
11. Who is Grace Stepney?
(a) Simon Rosedale's cousin.
(b) Lily's married sister.
(c) Gus Trenor's niece.
(d) Lily's cousin.
12. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
13. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
(a) She wants him to be her friend.
(b) She wants him to find a place for her to live.
(c) She wants him to loan her money.
(d) She wants him to marry her.
14. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
(a) From a conversation with Lawrence Selden.
(b) From the book she was reading on the train.
(c) From gossip with friends in her own social circlre.
(d) From her own hobby.
15. In book 1, chapter 10, where does Simon Rosedale invite Lily to go?
(a) A camp in the Adirondacks.
(b) The opera.
(c) A party at his apartment.
(d) An exclusive fundraising event.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
2. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
3. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
4. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
5. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)