|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(b) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
(c) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(d) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
2. Who is Grace Stepney?
(a) Lily's cousin.
(b) Lily's married sister.
(c) Simon Rosedale's cousin.
(d) Gus Trenor's niece.
3. What is Carry Fischer's job?
(a) She is a social worker.
(b) She is a professional party-planner for the social elite.
(c) She helps newly rich families enter high society.
(d) She is an investment broker.
4. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Percy Gryce.
(b) Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Lawrence Selden.
(d) Bertha Dorset.
5. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
6. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) Cleaning day.
(b) A prayer service.
(c) A party.
(d) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
7. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
8. What does Lily do when she arrives at Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She calmly relates the events that occurred with Gus Trenor.
(b) She has a breakdown and falls asleep in Gerty's bed.
(c) She cries hysterically and tells Gerty what happened with Gus Trenor.
(d) She stares out the window speechlessly.
9. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
(a) Mrs. Trenor has been ill for an extended period of time.
(b) Gus Trenor is going to discontinue his financial support of Lily.
(c) Gus Trenor tricked Lily into seeing him alone.
(d) Mrs. Trenor suspects that Lily and Gus are having a love affair.
10. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He orders Lily to leave the house.
(c) He pushes Lily down a flight of stairs.
(d) He discontinues his finanacial support.
11. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
(a) While taking a walk in the park with Lawrence Selden.
(b) As she is leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building after having tea.
(c) After visiting her dressmaker.
(d) While she is waiting at the train station.
12. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
13. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(b) Spends time with her aunt.
(c) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(d) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
14. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(b) A stalker.
(c) Gambling addiction.
(d) Being dropped from her social circle.
15. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
(a) Investment advice.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) An offer of a loan.
(d) An introduction to one of Percy's high-placed colleagues.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
2. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
3. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
4. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
5. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)