|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
(b) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(c) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(d) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
2. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
(a) After visiting her dressmaker.
(b) While she is waiting at the train station.
(c) As she is leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building after having tea.
(d) While taking a walk in the park with Lawrence Selden.
3. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
(a) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily what Bertha Dorset said about her.
(b) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to forget about Percy Gryce.
(c) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to ignore Bertha Dorset.
(d) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to confront Bertha Dorset.
4. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(b) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
(c) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
(d) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
5. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Percy Gryce.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Lawrence Selden.
(d) Gus Trenor.
6. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
(a) Success is the ability to purchase anything one desires.
(b) Success is doing well in the stock market.
(c) Success is freedom from materialism.
(d) Success is attaining all the goals one has set out to achieve.
7. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
(b) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(c) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(d) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
8. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
(a) Her success in tableaux vivants.
(b) Winning a large sum of money playing bridge.
(c) Her success in charades.
(d) Her success in nouveau riche.
9. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(b) A stalker.
(c) Gambling addiction.
(d) Being dropped from her social circle.
10. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He tells her that he loves her.
(b) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
(c) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) He wants to see her the next day.
11. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(a) Her aunt's home.
(b) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
(d) The train station.
12. What does Lawrence Selden see when he goes to the Trenor house to look for Lily?
(a) He sees Lily waving to Gus Trenor as she leaves the house.
(b) He sees the police taking Gus Trenor away.
(c) He sees Lily and Mrs. Trenor arguing.
(d) He sees Gus Trenor push Lily down a flight of stairs.
13. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
(a) Spends a great deal of money for a party dress.
(b) Sabotages the party.
(c) Seeks revenge on Lily.
(d) Demands an invitation.
14. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(b) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(c) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
(d) He wants Lily to give him more money.
15. What is Carry Fischer's job?
(a) She is a social worker.
(b) She helps newly rich families enter high society.
(c) She is an investment broker.
(d) She is a professional party-planner for the social elite.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
3. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
4. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
5. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)