|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(b) A party.
(c) A prayer service.
(d) Cleaning day.
2. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
(b) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Hide them.
3. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(b) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(c) For attending the tasteless party.
(d) For showing too much of her body at the party.
4. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
(a) Percy is planning on proposing to Gerty.
(b) Percy is interested in Miss Van Osburgh.
(c) Percy is planning on proposing to Lily.
(d) Percy lost his fortune and is penniless.
5. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
(a) She wants to have as much time as possible outside to get rid of her headache.
(b) The weather is perfect.
(c) She hopes Percy Gryce will walk by on his way home from church.
(d) She hopes Lawrence Selden will catch up with her.
6. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
(b) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
(c) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(d) He can help her with her money problems.
7. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
(a) Success is the ability to purchase anything one desires.
(b) Success is doing well in the stock market.
(c) Success is attaining all the goals one has set out to achieve.
(d) Success is freedom from materialism.
8. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(b) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(c) She misses the bus to church.
(d) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
9. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
(a) She looks down on Gerty's situation.
(b) She is afraid for Gerty.
(c) She feels sympathy toward her.
(d) She envies Gerty's situation.
10. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Cautious, but encouraged.
(b) Embarrassed and ashamed.
(c) Despondent and discouraged.
(d) Hopeful and happy.
11. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
(a) The church service which Percy Gryce is attending.
(b) A chat between Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) A business meeting between Gus Trenor and Simon Rosedale.
(d) A chat between Percy Gryce and Mrs. Trenor.
12. What does Lawrence Selden see when he goes to the Trenor house to look for Lily?
(a) He sees Lily waving to Gus Trenor as she leaves the house.
(b) He sees the police taking Gus Trenor away.
(c) He sees Lily and Mrs. Trenor arguing.
(d) He sees Gus Trenor push Lily down a flight of stairs.
13. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(b) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(c) Miss Gerty Farish.
(d) Mrs. George Dorset.
14. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
(a) From a conversation with Lawrence Selden.
(b) From gossip with friends in her own social circlre.
(c) From her own hobby.
(d) From the book she was reading on the train.
15. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(b) Her aunt's home.
(c) The train station.
(d) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Welly Brys?
2. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
3. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
4. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
5. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)