|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Simon Rosedale.
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Lawrence Selden.
(d) Percy Gryce.
2. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Embarrassed and ashamed.
(b) Cautious, but encouraged.
(c) Despondent and discouraged.
(d) Hopeful and happy.
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
(a) Getting fresh air to get rid of her headache.
(b) To walk to church to meet Percy Gryce on his way home from church.
(c) Catching up with her high-ranking friends in her social circle.
(d) To complete a chore for Mrs. Trenor.
4. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(a) The stock market.
(b) Mutual acquaintances.
(c) Her busy social schedule.
5. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(b) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(c) She doesn't know where else to go.
(d) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
6. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
(a) Percy tells Lily he has a headache.
(b) She asks Bertha Dorset to lie for her.
(c) She tells Percy she needs to help Mrs. Trenor.
(d) She lies to Percy about having a headache.
7. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
8. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
(b) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(c) The sound of a car.
(d) A sudden downpour.
9. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Percy Gryce.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) Gus Trenor.
10. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(b) Secretarial tasks.
(c) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
(d) Take over her duties as hostess.
11. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(b) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(c) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(d) The morning of the party.
12. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) After Mrs. Haffen finds them, she gives them to Lawrence Selden, who gives them to Lily.
(b) Mrs. Haffen leaves them outside Lily's door.
(c) Lily finds them in Mrs. Haffen's cleaning supplies.
(d) Mrs. Haffen sells the letters to Lily.
13. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(b) Her aunt's home.
(c) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
(d) The train station.
14. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(b) She immediately agrees.
(c) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
15. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(b) Miss Gerty Farish.
(c) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(d) Mrs. George Dorset.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
2. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
4. Who are the Welly Brys?
5. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)