|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Gus Trenor.
(b) Percy Gryce.
(c) Lawrence Selden.
(d) Simon Rosedale.
2. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(a) Her aunt's home.
(c) The train station.
(d) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
3. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) A divorced party guest.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
4. Who is Gerty Farish?
(a) Lawrence Selden's married sister.
(b) Lily's best friend.
(c) Lawrence Selden's cousin.
(d) Lily's cousin.
5. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) A sudden downpour.
(b) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
(d) The sound of a car.
6. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) A novel about rich people.
(b) New money.
(c) A novel about money.
(d) Rich food.
7. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(b) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(c) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(d) The morning of the party.
8. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Hide them.
(b) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
9. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
(a) He is threatening to have her ousted from her social circle.
(b) He is threatening to tell Mrs. Trenor about their financial arrangement.
(c) He is pressuring her to spend time with him.
(d) He is pressuring Lily for more money.
10. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(b) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(c) Spends time with her aunt.
(d) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
11. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(b) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(c) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(d) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
12. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(b) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(c) Mrs. George Dorset.
(d) Miss Gerty Farish.
13. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) Lawrence Selden.
(d) Percy Gryce.
14. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(a) Mutual acquaintances.
(b) The stock market.
(d) Her busy social schedule.
15. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(b) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
(c) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
(d) He can help her with her money problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
2. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
3. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
4. Who is Grace Stepney?
5. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)