|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
(a) It continues her bad mood.
(b) It doesn't affect her mood.
(c) It helps improve her mood.
(d) It puts her in a cautious mood.
2. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(b) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
(c) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(d) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
3. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
4. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
(b) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(c) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(d) She doesn't know where else to go.
5. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
(b) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(c) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(d) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
6. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She says she prefers a less popular location.
(b) She immediately agrees.
(c) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(d) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
7. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) London, England.
(d) New York City, New York.
8. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
9. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(b) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(c) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(d) The morning of the party.
10. In book 1, chapter 10, where does Simon Rosedale invite Lily to go?
(a) A camp in the Adirondacks.
(b) A party at his apartment.
(c) An exclusive fundraising event.
(d) The opera.
11. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
(a) He tells her that she should marry.
(b) He flatters her endlessly.
(c) He talks about their common interests.
(d) He talks about the future.
12. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(b) Searching for eligible bachelors.
(c) Playing bridge.
(d) Playing poker.
13. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He consoles Lily.
(b) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
(c) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(d) He goes for a walk to be alone.
14. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
(a) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to ignore Bertha Dorset.
(b) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to forget about Percy Gryce.
(c) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to confront Bertha Dorset.
(d) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily what Bertha Dorset said about her.
15. What event does George Dorset invite Lily to in book 1, chapter 10?
(a) A party in the Adirondacks.
(b) The opera.
(c) A party at his home.
(d) A prayer service.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
2. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
3. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
4. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
5. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)