|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
(b) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(c) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(d) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
2. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
3. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
(a) He talks about their common interests.
(b) He flatters her endlessly.
(c) He tells her that she should marry.
(d) He talks about the future.
4. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
(a) The church service which Percy Gryce is attending.
(b) A chat between Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) A chat between Percy Gryce and Mrs. Trenor.
(d) A business meeting between Gus Trenor and Simon Rosedale.
5. What does Lily do when she arrives at Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She has a breakdown and falls asleep in Gerty's bed.
(b) She calmly relates the events that occurred with Gus Trenor.
(c) She cries hysterically and tells Gerty what happened with Gus Trenor.
(d) She stares out the window speechlessly.
6. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
(a) Bertha Dorset tracks Lawrence Selden down at Gerty's and tells him that he can have Lily.
(b) He tells Gerty that he does not want to marry her.
(c) His feelings for Lily are obvious when he speaks of her at dinner.
(d) Gerty sees the attraction between Lawrence and Lily when she comes to Gerty's apartment.
7. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) New money.
(b) A novel about money.
(c) Rich food.
(d) A novel about rich people.
8. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
(a) He is threatening to tell Mrs. Trenor about their financial arrangement.
(b) He is pressuring her to spend time with him.
(c) He is threatening to have her ousted from her social circle.
(d) He is pressuring Lily for more money.
9. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) A divorced party guest.
(c) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
10. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(b) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
11. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Her social schedule being too busy.
(b) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
(c) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
(d) Her reputation.
12. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
(b) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(c) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(d) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
13. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(b) For showing too much of her body at the party.
(c) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(d) For attending the tasteless party.
14. Who is Grace Stepney?
(a) Lily's cousin.
(b) Simon Rosedale's cousin.
(c) Lily's married sister.
(d) Gus Trenor's niece.
15. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gerty Farish?
2. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
3. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
4. Why does Lily join a party with Carry Fischer and another couple in the Adirondacks?
5. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)