|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
(b) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(c) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
(d) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
2. What does Lawrence Selden see when he goes to the Trenor house to look for Lily?
(a) He sees Lily waving to Gus Trenor as she leaves the house.
(b) He sees Gus Trenor push Lily down a flight of stairs.
(c) He sees the police taking Gus Trenor away.
(d) He sees Lily and Mrs. Trenor arguing.
3. What does Lily do when she arrives at Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She cries hysterically and tells Gerty what happened with Gus Trenor.
(b) She calmly relates the events that occurred with Gus Trenor.
(c) She stares out the window speechlessly.
(d) She has a breakdown and falls asleep in Gerty's bed.
4. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
(a) Mrs. Trenor suspects that Lily and Gus are having a love affair.
(b) Gus Trenor is going to discontinue his financial support of Lily.
(c) Gus Trenor tricked Lily into seeing him alone.
(d) Mrs. Trenor has been ill for an extended period of time.
5. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
(a) She wants him to find a place for her to live.
(b) She wants him to marry her.
(c) She wants him to be her friend.
(d) She wants him to loan her money.
6. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(b) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
7. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) Lily's aunt.
8. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
(a) Winning a large sum of money playing bridge.
(b) Her success in nouveau riche.
(c) Her success in charades.
(d) Her success in tableaux vivants.
9. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
10. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Hide them.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(d) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
11. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She cries.
(b) She is happy to see him.
(c) She avoids him.
(d) She sends her companion to get him.
12. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(a) Searching for eligible bachelors.
(b) Playing bridge.
(d) Playing poker.
13. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Gambling addiction.
(b) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(c) A stalker.
(d) Being dropped from her social circle.
14. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
15. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(b) Mutual acquaintances.
(c) The stock market.
(d) Her busy social schedule.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
2. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
3. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
4. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
5. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)