|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
(b) Her social schedule being too busy.
(c) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
(d) Her reputation.
2. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(b) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
(c) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) Propose to Percy Gryce.
3. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is afraid for Gerty.
(b) She feels sympathy toward her.
(c) She looks down on Gerty's situation.
(d) She envies Gerty's situation.
4. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
(a) They have nothing in common.
(b) They share the same ideas of success in life.
(c) They are both in love with other people.
(d) Their true feelings for each other.
5. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Hides them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Gives them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(d) Gives them back to Lawrence Selden.
6. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) A party.
(b) Cleaning day.
(c) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(d) A prayer service.
7. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(b) She immediately agrees.
(c) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
8. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
(b) Secretarial tasks.
(c) Take over her duties as hostess.
(d) Leave the party and return home immediately.
9. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going to work.
(b) She is going on vacation.
(c) She is waiting for an old friend.
(d) She is going to a social engagement.
10. In book 1, chapter 8, what does Gus Trenor do with Lily's money?
(a) Invests it.
(b) Spends it on Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Donates it to Lily's favorite charity.
(d) Loses it playing poker.
11. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
(a) Simon Rosedale.
(b) Lily's aunt.
(d) Gus Trenor.
12. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
(a) She repeats a hurtful rumor.
(b) She finds the man she wishes to marry.
(c) She gambles and loses most of her money.
(d) She is banished from the party for cheating.
13. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
(a) Their walk was to entice Percy.
(b) She admits that Percy told her to stop smoking or he won't marry her.
(c) She admits that she knows Percy feels nothing for her.
(d) She admits that she proposed to Percy.
14. Who is Grace Stepney?
(a) Simon Rosedale's cousin.
(b) Lily's married sister.
(c) Lily's cousin.
(d) Gus Trenor's niece.
15. What is Gus Trenor's reaction when Lily tells him that Mrs. Trenor wants her to marry Percy Gryce?
(a) He tells Lily he will speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He is elated.
(d) He tells Lily how much money Percy Gryce makes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
2. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
3. Who is Gerty Farish?
4. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
5. Why does Lily join a party with Carry Fischer and another couple in the Adirondacks?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)