|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) A novel about money.
(b) New money.
(c) A novel about rich people.
(d) Rich food.
2. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(b) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(c) Spends time with her aunt.
(d) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
3. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
(a) His feelings for Lily are obvious when he speaks of her at dinner.
(b) Gerty sees the attraction between Lawrence and Lily when she comes to Gerty's apartment.
(c) Bertha Dorset tracks Lawrence Selden down at Gerty's and tells him that he can have Lily.
(d) He tells Gerty that he does not want to marry her.
4. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
(b) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(c) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
(d) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
5. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(a) Searching for eligible bachelors.
(c) Playing poker.
(d) Playing bridge.
6. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(d) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
7. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Hide them.
(d) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
8. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going on vacation.
(b) She is going to work.
(c) She is waiting for an old friend.
(d) She is going to a social engagement.
9. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
(a) A chat between Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(b) A chat between Percy Gryce and Mrs. Trenor.
(c) The church service which Percy Gryce is attending.
(d) A business meeting between Gus Trenor and Simon Rosedale.
10. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
(a) He pushes Lily down a flight of stairs.
(b) He discontinues his finanacial support.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He orders Lily to leave the house.
11. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(a) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
(b) The train station.
(d) Her aunt's home.
12. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
(a) He flatters her endlessly.
(b) He talks about the future.
(c) He talks about their common interests.
(d) He tells her that she should marry.
13. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Gambling addiction.
(b) Being dropped from her social circle.
(c) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(d) A stalker.
14. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
15. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
(a) They have nothing in common.
(b) They share the same ideas of success in life.
(c) They are both in love with other people.
(d) Their true feelings for each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
2. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
3. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
4. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)