|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
2. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She is happy to see him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She sends her companion to get him.
(d) She avoids him.
3. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) A novel about rich people.
(b) Rich food.
(c) A novel about money.
(d) New money.
4. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(b) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(d) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
5. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
(a) She gambles and loses most of her money.
(b) She is banished from the party for cheating.
(c) She repeats a hurtful rumor.
(d) She finds the man she wishes to marry.
6. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(b) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
(c) She doesn't know where else to go.
(d) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
7. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
(a) A chat between Percy Gryce and Mrs. Trenor.
(b) The church service which Percy Gryce is attending.
(c) A business meeting between Gus Trenor and Simon Rosedale.
(d) A chat between Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
8. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(b) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(c) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
(d) He wants Lily to give him more money.
9. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
(b) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(c) He wants to see her the next day.
(d) He tells her that he loves her.
10. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
(b) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(c) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
(d) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
11. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
12. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For showing too much of her body at the party.
(b) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(c) For attending the tasteless party.
(d) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
13. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) A stalker.
(b) Gambling addiction.
(c) Being dropped from her social circle.
(d) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
14. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
(a) She wants to have as much time as possible outside to get rid of her headache.
(b) She hopes Lawrence Selden will catch up with her.
(c) The weather is perfect.
(d) She hopes Percy Gryce will walk by on his way home from church.
15. In book 1, chapter 12, what type of party entertainment does Lily participate in?
(a) Tableaux vivants.
(b) Nouveau riche.
(d) A bridge tournament.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
2. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
3. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
4. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
5. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)