|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
2. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
(b) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(c) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(d) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
3. Who is Gerty Farish?
(a) Lawrence Selden's cousin.
(b) Lawrence Selden's married sister.
(c) Lily's cousin.
(d) Lily's best friend.
4. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(b) Mutual acquaintances.
(c) The stock market.
(d) Her busy social schedule.
5. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(b) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(c) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
(d) He consoles Lily.
6. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
(a) Her success in tableaux vivants.
(b) Her success in charades.
(c) Her success in nouveau riche.
(d) Winning a large sum of money playing bridge.
7. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
(b) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(c) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
(d) He can help her with her money problems.
8. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(b) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(c) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(d) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
9. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
(a) If Lawrence Selden came to Bellomont to see her or Bertha Dorset.
(b) If she should agree to marry Simon Rosedale.
(c) If she should really go through with her plan to win over Percy Gryce.
(d) If she should ask Gus Trenor for a loan
10. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
11. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(b) The morning of the party.
(c) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(d) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
12. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mrs. George Dorset.
(b) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(c) Miss Gerty Farish.
(d) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
13. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For showing too much of her body at the party.
(b) For attending the tasteless party.
(c) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(d) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
14. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
(b) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
(c) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(d) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
15. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
(b) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
(c) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(d) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
2. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
3. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
4. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
5. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)