|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
(a) An offer of a loan.
(b) An introduction to one of Percy's high-placed colleagues.
(c) Investment advice.
(d) A marriage proposal.
2. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
(b) He can help her with her money problems.
(c) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(d) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
3. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
(b) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(d) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
4. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
(a) A chat between Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(b) The church service which Percy Gryce is attending.
(c) A chat between Percy Gryce and Mrs. Trenor.
(d) A business meeting between Gus Trenor and Simon Rosedale.
5. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Miss Gerty Farish.
(b) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(c) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(d) Mrs. George Dorset.
6. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) New money.
(b) A novel about rich people.
(c) A novel about money.
(d) Rich food.
7. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(b) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
(c) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(d) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
8. What is Carry Fischer's job?
(a) She helps newly rich families enter high society.
(b) She is a social worker.
(c) She is a professional party-planner for the social elite.
(d) She is an investment broker.
9. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
10. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
(b) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(c) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(d) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
11. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
12. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
13. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
(b) Take over her duties as hostess.
(c) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(d) Secretarial tasks.
14. What does Gerty Farish tell Lily about Percy Gryce?
(a) Percy is planning on proposing to Gerty.
(b) Percy lost his fortune and is penniless.
(c) Percy is interested in Miss Van Osburgh.
(d) Percy is planning on proposing to Lily.
15. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(b) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(c) The morning of the party.
(d) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
2. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
3. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
4. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)