|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) London, England.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) New York City, New York.
(d) Paris, France.
2. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
3. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(b) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(c) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(d) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
4. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
(b) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(c) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(d) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
5. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(b) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(c) For attending the tasteless party.
(d) For showing too much of her body at the party.
6. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
(a) From a conversation with Lawrence Selden.
(b) From her own hobby.
(c) From gossip with friends in her own social circlre.
(d) From the book she was reading on the train.
7. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
(a) It puts her in a cautious mood.
(b) It helps improve her mood.
(c) It doesn't affect her mood.
(d) It continues her bad mood.
8. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She is trying to hide from Gus Trenor.
(b) She wants to donate money to Gerty's charity.
(c) She is hoping Gerty can lend her some money.
(d) She doesn't know where else to go.
9. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(a) Playing poker.
(b) Searching for eligible bachelors.
(c) Playing bridge.
10. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He orders Lily to leave the house.
(c) He discontinues his finanacial support.
(d) He pushes Lily down a flight of stairs.
11. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
(a) She wants him to marry her.
(b) She wants him to loan her money.
(c) She wants him to find a place for her to live.
(d) She wants him to be her friend.
12. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
(a) Success is the ability to purchase anything one desires.
(b) Success is doing well in the stock market.
(c) Success is freedom from materialism.
(d) Success is attaining all the goals one has set out to achieve.
13. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
(a) If she should agree to marry Simon Rosedale.
(b) If Lawrence Selden came to Bellomont to see her or Bertha Dorset.
(c) If she should ask Gus Trenor for a loan
(d) If she should really go through with her plan to win over Percy Gryce.
14. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Cautious, but encouraged.
(b) Hopeful and happy.
(c) Embarrassed and ashamed.
(d) Despondent and discouraged.
15. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
(b) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(d) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
2. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
3. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
4. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
5. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Lawrence Selden congratulate Lily after her participation in the party entertainment ?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)