|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(b) For showing too much of her body at the party.
(c) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(d) For attending the tasteless party.
2. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(b) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
(d) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
3. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(b) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(c) Miss Gerty Farish.
(d) Mrs. George Dorset.
4. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(a) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
(b) Her aunt's home.
(d) The train station.
5. What is Carry Fischer's job?
(a) She is an investment broker.
(b) She is a professional party-planner for the social elite.
(c) She is a social worker.
(d) She helps newly rich families enter high society.
6. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
(a) While taking a walk in the park with Lawrence Selden.
(b) While she is waiting at the train station.
(c) After visiting her dressmaker.
(d) As she is leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building after having tea.
7. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) New money.
(b) A novel about money.
(c) A novel about rich people.
(d) Rich food.
8. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
(a) His feelings for Lily are obvious when he speaks of her at dinner.
(b) He tells Gerty that he does not want to marry her.
(c) Gerty sees the attraction between Lawrence and Lily when she comes to Gerty's apartment.
(d) Bertha Dorset tracks Lawrence Selden down at Gerty's and tells him that he can have Lily.
9. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) New York City, New York.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) London, England.
10. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1900s.
(d) Early 1800s.
11. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(b) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
12. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(b) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(c) She immediately agrees.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
13. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
(a) She gambles and loses most of her money.
(b) She finds the man she wishes to marry.
(c) She is banished from the party for cheating.
(d) She repeats a hurtful rumor.
14. Why does Lily join a party with Carry Fischer and another couple in the Adirondacks?
(a) Lily wants to get away from Gus Trenor.
(b) Lily wants to spend the money she received from Gus Trenor.
(c) Lily needs to take a vacation.
(d) Lily has no other social engagements.
15. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(b) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
2. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
3. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
4. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
5. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)