|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
2. How does the situation at the place where Lily goes after her cousin's wedding affect her mood?
(a) It helps improve her mood.
(b) It doesn't affect her mood.
(c) It puts her in a cautious mood.
(d) It continues her bad mood.
3. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Despondent and discouraged.
(b) Cautious, but encouraged.
(c) Hopeful and happy.
(d) Embarrassed and ashamed.
4. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
(a) Success is freedom from materialism.
(b) Success is the ability to purchase anything one desires.
(c) Success is attaining all the goals one has set out to achieve.
(d) Success is doing well in the stock market.
5. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Her social schedule being too busy.
(c) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
(d) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
6. Who is Grace Stepney?
(a) Lily's cousin.
(b) Gus Trenor's niece.
(c) Simon Rosedale's cousin.
(d) Lily's married sister.
7. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
(a) Demands an invitation.
(b) Seeks revenge on Lily.
(c) Spends a great deal of money for a party dress.
(d) Sabotages the party.
8. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(b) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) She misses the bus to church.
(d) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
9. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
(b) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Propose to Percy Gryce.
(d) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
10. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
(a) He tells her that she should marry.
(b) He flatters her endlessly.
(c) He talks about their common interests.
(d) He talks about the future.
11. Who are the Welly Brys?
(a) A newly rich family trying to join Lily's social circle.
(b) A traveling group of entertainers who specialize in parties for the social elite.
(c) The investment firm where Gus Trenor invested Lily's money.
(d) A newly rich family determined to undermine Mrs. Trenor's social success.
12. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) Rich food.
(b) A novel about rich people.
(c) A novel about money.
(d) New money.
13. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(a) The train station.
(b) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
(d) Her aunt's home.
14. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
(a) He loses everything.
(b) His stock portfolio is cut in half.
(c) It grows.
(d) He breaks even.
15. Who is Gerty Farish?
(a) Lily's best friend.
(b) Lawrence Selden's cousin.
(c) Lily's cousin.
(d) Lawrence Selden's married sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
3. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
4. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
5. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)