|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Take over her duties as hostess.
(b) Secretarial tasks.
(c) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(d) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
2. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The morning of the party.
(b) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(c) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(d) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
3. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(b) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(c) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(d) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
4. What does Lily do when she arrives at Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She stares out the window speechlessly.
(b) She has a breakdown and falls asleep in Gerty's bed.
(c) She calmly relates the events that occurred with Gus Trenor.
(d) She cries hysterically and tells Gerty what happened with Gus Trenor.
5. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
(a) She avoids him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She sends her companion to get him.
(d) She is happy to see him.
6. What does nouveau riche mean?
(a) Rich food.
(b) New money.
(c) A novel about money.
(d) A novel about rich people.
7. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
(a) A chat between Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(b) A chat between Percy Gryce and Mrs. Trenor.
(c) The church service which Percy Gryce is attending.
(d) A business meeting between Gus Trenor and Simon Rosedale.
8. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(b) Mrs. George Dorset.
(c) Miss Gerty Farish.
(d) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
9. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
(a) He loses everything.
(b) He breaks even.
(c) It grows.
(d) His stock portfolio is cut in half.
10. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
(b) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(c) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(d) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
11. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
(b) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
(c) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(d) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
12. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
(a) He is pressuring her to spend time with him.
(b) He is threatening to tell Mrs. Trenor about their financial arrangement.
(c) He is threatening to have her ousted from her social circle.
(d) He is pressuring Lily for more money.
13. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
(a) Bertha Dorset tracks Lawrence Selden down at Gerty's and tells him that he can have Lily.
(b) He tells Gerty that he does not want to marry her.
(c) His feelings for Lily are obvious when he speaks of her at dinner.
(d) Gerty sees the attraction between Lawrence and Lily when she comes to Gerty's apartment.
14. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(b) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
(c) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(d) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
15. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
(b) Lily's aunt.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) Gus Trenor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
2. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
3. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
4. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
5. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)