|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He tells her that he loves her.
(b) He wants to see her the next day.
(c) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(d) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
2. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
(a) His stock portfolio is cut in half.
(b) He loses everything.
(c) He breaks even.
(d) It grows.
3. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1800s.
(c) Early 1900s.
4. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
(b) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(c) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(d) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
5. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
(a) He is threatening to tell Mrs. Trenor about their financial arrangement.
(b) He is pressuring her to spend time with him.
(c) He is pressuring Lily for more money.
(d) He is threatening to have her ousted from her social circle.
6. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is an heiress, independently wealthy.
(b) She lives with an aunt who finances her extravagant lifestyle.
(c) She is poor and has to work to support her meager lifestyle.
(d) She is homeless, having lost everything to a conniving ex-fiance.
7. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
(b) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(c) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(d) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
8. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
(b) The sound of a car.
(c) A sudden downpour.
(d) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
9. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He discontinues his finanacial support.
(c) He pushes Lily down a flight of stairs.
(d) He orders Lily to leave the house.
10. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
(a) Success is doing well in the stock market.
(b) Success is freedom from materialism.
(c) Success is the ability to purchase anything one desires.
(d) Success is attaining all the goals one has set out to achieve.
11. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
(a) She admits that Percy told her to stop smoking or he won't marry her.
(b) She admits that she knows Percy feels nothing for her.
(c) Their walk was to entice Percy.
(d) She admits that she proposed to Percy.
12. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
(b) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(c) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(d) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
13. In book 1, chapter 12, why does Gus Trenor criticize Lily after her participation in the party entertainment?
(a) For speaking to too many other men at the party.
(b) For attending the tasteless party.
(c) For risking money playing bridge at the party.
(d) For showing too much of her body at the party.
14. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(b) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(c) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(d) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
15. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
(a) Mrs. Edith Wharton.
(b) Mr. Simon Rosedale.
(c) Mrs. George Dorset.
(d) Miss Gerty Farish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
2. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
3. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
4. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Grace Stepney do in her anger about the party?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)