Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) A prayer service.
(b) A party.
(c) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(d) Cleaning day.
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is waiting for an old friend.
(b) She is going on vacation.
(c) She is going to a social engagement.
(d) She is going to work.
3. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
4. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) New York City, New York.
(b) London, England.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Paris, France.
5. What does Lily realize when she discovers that Mrs. Trenor is actually at Bellomont?
(a) Mrs. Trenor suspects that Lily and Gus are having a love affair.
(b) Gus Trenor is going to discontinue his financial support of Lily.
(c) Gus Trenor tricked Lily into seeing him alone.
(d) Mrs. Trenor has been ill for an extended period of time.
6. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(c) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
7. Why does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily, instead of Carry Fischer, to go to the train station to pick up her husband ?
(a) Carry Fischer has a questionable reputation.
(b) Carry Fischer always asks Gus Trenor for money.
(c) Carry Fischer is too flirtatious.
(d) Gus specifically requests that Lily pick him up at the train station.
8. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
(a) Investment advice.
(b) An introduction to one of Percy's high-placed colleagues.
(c) A marriage proposal.
(d) An offer of a loan.
9. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(b) The train station.
(c) Her aunt's home.
(d) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
10. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Bertha Dorset.
(d) Percy Gryce.
11. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(b) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
(c) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(d) He consoles Lily.
12. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
(b) Her reputation.
(c) Her social schedule being too busy.
(d) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
13. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(b) Gambling addiction.
(c) A stalker.
(d) Being dropped from her social circle.
14. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
(a) Their walk was to entice Percy.
(b) She admits that Percy told her to stop smoking or he won't marry her.
(c) She admits that she knows Percy feels nothing for her.
(d) She admits that she proposed to Percy.
15. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
(a) She wants him to find a place for her to live.
(b) She wants him to marry her.
(c) She wants him to be her friend.
(d) She wants him to loan her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lawrence Selden see when he goes to the Trenor house to look for Lily?
2. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
3. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
4. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
5. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)