|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
2. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(b) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(c) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(d) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
3. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Bertha Dorset.
(c) Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Percy Gryce.
4. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(b) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(c) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(d) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
5. Who decides to give a party around the holidays?
(a) Lily's aunt.
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
6. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
(b) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Propose to Percy Gryce.
(d) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
7. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going to work.
(b) She is going on vacation.
(c) She is going to a social engagement.
(d) She is waiting for an old friend.
8. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
(a) He discontinues his finanacial support.
(b) He orders Lily to leave the house.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He pushes Lily down a flight of stairs.
9. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
(a) He breaks even.
(b) It grows.
(c) He loses everything.
(d) His stock portfolio is cut in half.
10. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Percy Gryce.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Simon Rosedale.
11. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Give them back to Lawrence Selden..
(b) Burn them.
(c) Give them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(d) Hide them.
12. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
(b) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(c) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
(d) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
13. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
14. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
(a) Success is attaining all the goals one has set out to achieve.
(b) Success is the ability to purchase anything one desires.
(c) Success is doing well in the stock market.
(d) Success is freedom from materialism.
15. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
(a) To walk to church to meet Percy Gryce on his way home from church.
(b) Getting fresh air to get rid of her headache.
(c) To complete a chore for Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Catching up with her high-ranking friends in her social circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
2. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
3. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
4. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
5. In book 1, chapter 14, what makes Gerty realize that Lawrence Selden is not in love with her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)