|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(b) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
(c) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(d) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
2. In book 1, chapter 8, what does Gus Trenor do with Lily's money?
(a) Loses it playing poker.
(b) Spends it on Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Donates it to Lily's favorite charity.
(d) Invests it.
3. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
(d) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
4. In book 1, chapter 9, what is happening at the place Lily goes after her cousin's wedding?
(a) Cleaning day.
(b) Arrival of an important member of Lily's social circle.
(c) A party.
(d) A prayer service.
5. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(b) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(c) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
6. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
(a) He tells Bertha to mind her own business.
(b) He goes for a walk to be alone.
(c) He leaves Bellomont immediately.
(d) He consoles Lily.
7. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(a) The stock market.
(b) Her busy social schedule.
(d) Mutual acquaintances.
8. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(a) Playing poker.
(b) Playing bridge.
(c) Searching for eligible bachelors.
9. How does Gerty Farish feel when she wakes up the morning after the party and realizes she is in love with Lawrence Selden?
(a) Cautious, but encouraged.
(b) Hopeful and happy.
(c) Despondent and discouraged.
(d) Embarrassed and ashamed.
10. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(b) A sudden downpour.
(c) The sound of a car.
(d) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
11. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
(a) He is threatening to tell Mrs. Trenor about their financial arrangement.
(b) He is pressuring her to spend time with him.
(c) He is threatening to have her ousted from her social circle.
(d) He is pressuring Lily for more money.
12. How does Lily acquire letters found by Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Lily finds them in Mrs. Haffen's cleaning supplies.
(b) Mrs. Haffen sells the letters to Lily.
(c) Mrs. Haffen leaves them outside Lily's door.
(d) After Mrs. Haffen finds them, she gives them to Lawrence Selden, who gives them to Lily.
13. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(b) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
(c) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
14. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He wants to see her the next day.
(b) He tells her that he loves her.
(c) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
(d) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
15. How does Lily feel when she learns that Gus Trenor told Simon Rosedale about their financial arrangement?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
2. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
3. Who is Gerty Farish?
4. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
5. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)