|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 8, how does Mrs. Trenor feel about the friendship between Lily and Gus?
2. How does Lily feel when she sees Lawrence Selden at her cousin's wedding?
3. Who accompanies Simon and Lily to the event ?
(a) Carry Fischer.
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Gerty Farish.
(d) Percy Gryce.
4. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
5. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(b) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(c) A divorced party guest.
(d) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
6. Why is Grace Stepney angry about the party?
(a) She is not allowed to help plan the party.
(b) She has nothing suitable to wear to the party.
(c) The party is on the same night as another social engagement.
(d) She is not invited to the party.
7. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is poor and has to work to support her meager lifestyle.
(b) She is homeless, having lost everything to a conniving ex-fiance.
(c) She lives with an aunt who finances her extravagant lifestyle.
(d) She is an heiress, independently wealthy.
8. In book 1, chapter 7, who meets Lily when she returns from her walk with Lawrence Selden ?
(a) Bertha Dorset.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Percy Gryce.
9. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(b) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(c) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
10. In book 1, chapter 10, where does Simon Rosedale invite Lily to go?
(a) A camp in the Adirondacks.
(b) An exclusive fundraising event.
(c) A party at his apartment.
(d) The opera.
11. Who is Grace Stepney?
(a) Lily's married sister.
(b) Simon Rosedale's cousin.
(c) Gus Trenor's niece.
(d) Lily's cousin.
12. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) A stalker.
(b) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(c) Being dropped from her social circle.
(d) Gambling addiction.
13. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Gives them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Gives them back to Lawrence Selden.
(d) Hides them.
14. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
(a) Their walk was to entice Percy.
(b) She admits that she knows Percy feels nothing for her.
(c) She admits that she proposed to Percy.
(d) She admits that Percy told her to stop smoking or he won't marry her.
15. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Secretarial tasks.
(b) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
(c) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(d) Take over her duties as hostess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
2. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
3. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
4. What does Lily intend to do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
5. In book 1, chapter 10, why does Lily want to avoid seeing Gus Trenor?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)