|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lily join a party with Carry Fischer and another couple in the Adirondacks?
(a) Lily wants to get away from Gus Trenor.
(b) Lily has no other social engagements.
(c) Lily wants to spend the money she received from Gus Trenor.
(d) Lily needs to take a vacation.
2. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(b) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(c) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(d) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
3. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
(b) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(c) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(d) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
4. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
(a) While taking a walk in the park with Lawrence Selden.
(b) While she is waiting at the train station.
(c) As she is leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building after having tea.
(d) After visiting her dressmaker.
5. How does Lily feel when she first sees Percy Gryce at her cousin's wedding?
6. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
(a) He tells her that she should marry.
(b) He talks about the future.
(c) He flatters her endlessly.
(d) He talks about their common interests.
7. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
(b) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(c) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
(d) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
8. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
(b) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(c) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
(d) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
9. What does Grace Stepney do in Lily's absence?
(a) Attends the opera with Simon Rosedale.
(b) Cares for Lily's younger cousins.
(c) Spends time with Gus Trenor.
(d) Spends time with her aunt.
10. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
(a) An offer of a loan.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) Investment advice.
(d) An introduction to one of Percy's high-placed colleagues.
11. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Her social schedule being too busy.
(c) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
(d) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
12. Who is Gerty Farish?
(a) Lawrence Selden's married sister.
(b) Lawrence Selden's cousin.
(c) Lily's best friend.
(d) Lily's cousin.
13. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She immediately agrees.
(b) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(c) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(d) She says she prefers a less popular location.
14. What does Lily do when she arrives at Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
(a) She has a breakdown and falls asleep in Gerty's bed.
(b) She cries hysterically and tells Gerty what happened with Gus Trenor.
(c) She stares out the window speechlessly.
(d) She calmly relates the events that occurred with Gus Trenor.
15. When Lily arrives at the Trenor house, what does Gus Trenor first tell Lily about Mrs. Trenor?
(a) Mrs. Trenor is visiting friends out of town.
(b) Mrs. Trenor wants a divorce.
(c) Mrs. Trenor is ill upstairs.
(d) Mrs. Trenor is angry with Lily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lily go to Gerty Farish's apartment after her confrontation with Gus Trenor at his house?
2. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
3. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
4. What is Carry Fischer's job?
5. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)