|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
(a) If she should ask Gus Trenor for a loan
(b) If Lawrence Selden came to Bellomont to see her or Bertha Dorset.
(c) If she should agree to marry Simon Rosedale.
(d) If she should really go through with her plan to win over Percy Gryce.
2. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is waiting for an old friend.
(b) She is going to work.
(c) She is going on vacation.
(d) She is going to a social engagement.
3. What does Lily actually do with the letters she acquired from Mrs. Haffen, Lawrence Selden's cleaning lady?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Gives them back to Lawrence Selden.
(c) Gives them to Gerty Farish for safekeeping.
(d) Hides them.
4. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
(a) Investment advice.
(b) An offer of a loan.
(c) An introduction to one of Percy's high-placed colleagues.
(d) A marriage proposal.
5. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Lawrence Selden say ?
(a) He wants to see her the next day.
(b) He tells her that he has proposed to Gerty Farish.
(c) He tells her that he loves her.
(d) He reveals that he knows about her financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
6. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A divorced party guest.
(b) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(c) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
7. What does Lily realize as she chats with Gus Trenor on the way home from the train station?
(a) He can help her with her money problems.
(b) She is attracted to Gus Trenor.
(c) Gus Trenor can speak to Percy Gryce for her.
(d) Gus Trenor is attracted to her.
8. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
(a) Searching for eligible bachelors.
(b) Playing bridge.
(d) Playing poker.
9. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
(a) He wants Lily to work for him as his secretary.
(b) He wants Lily to tell Mrs. Trenor that he wants a divorce.
(c) He wants Lily to give him more money.
(d) He wants Lily to spend more time with him.
10. When do the events of chapter 14, book 1, begin?
(a) The same morning that Lily awakens to find two notes at her bedside.
(b) The morning of the party.
(c) The night after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
(d) A week after Lily's argument with Gus Trenor.
11. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(b) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(c) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(d) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
12. In book 1, chapter 9, where does Lily go after her cousin's wedding ?
(a) Her aunt's home.
(b) The train station.
(d) Lawrence Selden's apartment.
13. What does the note that Lily finds next to her bedside from Judy Trenor say ?
(a) Mrs. Trenor wants to see Lily.
(b) Mrs. Trenor asks Lily to do some chores for her.
(c) Mrs. Trenor invites Lily to a party at Bellomont the next weekend.
(d) Mrs. Trenor warns Lily to stay away from Gus Trenor.
14. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Gambling addiction.
(b) A stalker.
(c) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(d) Being dropped from her social circle.
15. What happens to Simon Rosedale's fortune as the stock market drops?
(a) He breaks even.
(b) He loses everything.
(c) It grows.
(d) His stock portfolio is cut in half.
Short Answer Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
3. What is the result of Gus's violence toward Lily?
4. At dinner in book 1, chapter 14, why does Gerty Farish mistakenly believe Lawrence Selden wants to marry her?
5. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)