|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 2, chapter 3, how does Bertha betray Lily at the end of the dinner party ?
(a) Bertha tells the guests that Lily had an affair with George.
(b) Bertha tells the guests about Lily's financial arrangement with Gus Trenor.
(c) Bertha tells the guests that Lily has spread gossip about each and every one of them.
(d) Bertha announces that Lily will not be returning to the yacht with them that night.
2. In book 1, chapter 15, how does Lily respond to Simon Rosedale's marriage proposal ?
(a) She flatly refuses.
(b) She asks for time to think about it.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She immediately accepts it.
3. Out of fear for her safety from Bertha Dorset, what does Lawrence Selden want Lily to do ?
(a) He says he will move onto the yacht to help protect Lily.
(b) He asks Lily to leave the yacht.
(c) He asks Lily to speak to Bertha.
(d) He asks Lily to convince George Dorset to speak to Bertha about her.
4. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
5. What does Simon Rosedale think about Lily's reaction to his suggestion of what she should do with the letters she purchased from Lawrence Selden's cleaning woman?
(a) He thinks it is because she doesn't trust Simon Rosedale.
(b) He thinks it is because she still wants the Dorsets as friends.
(c) He thinks she is tired of dealing with the situation.
(d) He thinks it is because she loves Lawrence Selden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
2. What does Gus Trenor want Lily to do now that he is a successful investor?
3. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
4. Who is Gerty Farish?
5. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)