|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
(a) She hopes Lawrence Selden will catch up with her.
(b) She hopes Percy Gryce will walk by on his way home from church.
(c) She wants to have as much time as possible outside to get rid of her headache.
(d) The weather is perfect.
2. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
(a) She admits that Percy told her to stop smoking or he won't marry her.
(b) Their walk was to entice Percy.
(c) She admits that she knows Percy feels nothing for her.
(d) She admits that she proposed to Percy.
3. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
(a) She is banished from the party for cheating.
(b) She repeats a hurtful rumor.
(c) She finds the man she wishes to marry.
(d) She gambles and loses most of her money.
4. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(b) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
(c) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(d) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
5. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
(a) Bertha Dorset calling for Lawrence Selden.
(b) A sudden downpour.
(c) Lily's realization that she forgot to assist Mrs. Trenor.
(d) The sound of a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
2. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
3. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
4. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
5. In book 1, chapter 7, how does Percy Gryce react after Bertha Dorset talks to him about Lily?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)