|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
(b) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
(c) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
2. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(b) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(c) She misses the bus to church.
(d) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
3. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Gus Trenor.
(c) Simon Rosedale.
(d) Percy Gryce.
4. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
(a) After visiting her dressmaker.
(b) While she is waiting at the train station.
(c) As she is leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building after having tea.
(d) While taking a walk in the park with Lawrence Selden.
5. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(b) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(c) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(d) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
2. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
3. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
4. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
5. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)