|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(d) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
2. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
3. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
4. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(b) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
(c) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(d) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) New York City, New York.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) London, England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
2. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
3. What disturbs the moment of closeness between Lawrence Selden and Lily on their walk together?
4. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
5. In book 1, chapter 6, how is Lily able to spend Sunday afternoon with Lawrence Selden rather than Percy Gryce?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)