|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(c) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(d) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
2. Why does Lawrence Selden call Lily a coward during their walk?
(a) She says it would be risky for her to marry him.
(b) She lied to Percy about having a headache.
(c) She is afraid to ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) She won't tell Bertha Dorset what she really thinks of her.
3. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
(a) She is banished from the party for cheating.
(b) She gambles and loses most of her money.
(c) She finds the man she wishes to marry.
(d) She repeats a hurtful rumor.
4. What does Mrs. Trenor tell Lily after Bertha Dorset talks to Percy Gryce about her?
(a) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to ignore Bertha Dorset.
(b) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily what Bertha Dorset said about her.
(c) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to confront Bertha Dorset.
(d) Mrs. Trenor tells Lily to forget about Percy Gryce.
5. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
(b) Her social schedule being too busy.
(c) Her reputation.
(d) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
2. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily purposefully interrupt on Sunday morning?
4. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
5. What is Gus Trenor's reaction when Lily tells him that Mrs. Trenor wants her to marry Percy Gryce?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)