|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In book 1, chapter 6, what does Lily admit to Lawrence Selden about Percy Gryce as they walk together on Sunday afternoon ?
(a) She admits that she proposed to Percy.
(b) Their walk was to entice Percy.
(c) She admits that she knows Percy feels nothing for her.
(d) She admits that Percy told her to stop smoking or he won't marry her.
2. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(b) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
(c) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
(d) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
3. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is waiting for an old friend.
(b) She is going to work.
(c) She is going to a social engagement.
(d) She is going on vacation.
4. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Her social schedule being too busy.
(c) Being on time for the party at Bellomont.
(d) Making friends at the party at Bellomont.
5. What do Lily and Lawrence Selden discover as they walk together on Sunday afternoon?
(a) They have nothing in common.
(b) Their true feelings for each other.
(c) They are both in love with other people.
(d) They share the same ideas of success in life.
Short Answer Questions
1. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
2. While Lily and Lawrence Selden are walking together, what does he tell Lily about his idea of success?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, why does Lily waste time once she is outside after leaving the library?
4. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)