|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(b) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
(c) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(d) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(c) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
(d) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
3. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
(a) She finds the man she wishes to marry.
(b) She gambles and loses most of her money.
(c) She repeats a hurtful rumor.
(d) She is banished from the party for cheating.
4. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(b) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(d) She misses the bus to church.
5. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Leave the party and return home immediately.
(b) Take over her duties as hostess.
(c) Introduce her to Percy Gryce.
(d) Secretarial tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
2. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
3. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
4. What is Lily's reaction when she sees Lawrence Selden while she is waiting for her train?
5. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)