|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(d) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
2. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
(a) She says she was looking for an apartment for herself.
(b) She says she visited a dressmaker in the building.
(c) She says she was visiting a sick friend.
(d) She says she had tea with Lawrence Selden.
3. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She lives with an aunt who finances her extravagant lifestyle.
(b) She is homeless, having lost everything to a conniving ex-fiance.
(c) She is an heiress, independently wealthy.
(d) She is poor and has to work to support her meager lifestyle.
4. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Lawrence Selden.
(b) Simon Rosedale.
(c) Percy Gryce.
(d) Gus Trenor.
5. Who is Gerty Farish?
(a) Lawrence Selden's cousin.
(b) Lily's best friend.
(c) Lily's cousin.
(d) Lawrence Selden's married sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
2. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
4. When does Lily run into Simon Rosedale?
5. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)