|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
(b) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(c) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
(d) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
2. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(b) Gambling addiction.
(c) Being dropped from her social circle.
(d) A stalker.
3. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
(a) If she should ask Gus Trenor for a loan
(b) If she should really go through with her plan to win over Percy Gryce.
(c) If Lawrence Selden came to Bellomont to see her or Bertha Dorset.
(d) If she should agree to marry Simon Rosedale.
4. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(b) A divorced party guest.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) London, England.
(b) New York City, New York.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Paris, France.
Short Answer Questions
1. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
2. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
3. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
4. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
5. What does Lily hope will develop from the time she spent with Percy Gryce on the train to the party?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)