|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
(a) She envies Mrs. Dorset's freedom from worry about finances.
(b) She envies the freedom of a married woman to get and discard a man without repercussions.
(c) She envies the attention Percy Gryce is giving to Mrs. Dorset.
(d) Lily envies Mrs. Dorset because she is attracted to Mrs. Dorset's husband.
2. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
(b) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(c) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
(d) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
3. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(c) Early 1900s.
(d) Early 1800s.
4. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A divorced party guest.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
5. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
(a) She becomes nervous and agitated.
(b) She declines his invitation because she is afraid she will miss her train.
(c) She says she prefers a less popular location.
(d) She immediately agrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
2. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
3. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
4. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
5. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)