|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
(b) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(c) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(d) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
2. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
(a) Mrs. Trenor threatens to tell Percy Gryce that Lily is searching for a wealthy husband.
(b) Everyone at the party must take turns helping Mrs. Trenor.
(c) She is the least wealthy member of her social group, so her soacial standing depends on helping Mrs. Trenor.
(d) Her aunt has become deathly ill and has no one else to care for her.
3. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
(a) She looks down on Gerty's situation.
(b) She is afraid for Gerty.
(c) She feels sympathy toward her.
(d) She envies Gerty's situation.
4. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1800s.
(c) Early 1900s.
5. What problem might Lily have as shown by the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) A stalker.
(b) Being dropped from her social circle.
(c) Someone seeking revenge for the gossip.
(d) Gambling addiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
2. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
3. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
4. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
5. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)