|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going to work.
(b) She is going to a social engagement.
(c) She is waiting for an old friend.
(d) She is going on vacation.
2. Who appears at the party at Bellomont at the end of the third day?
(a) Percy Gryce.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Simon Rosedale.
3. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
(a) She doesn't take the possibility of a stalker seriously.
(b) She panics, worried she will be dropped from her social circle.
(c) She views her gambling losses as a small price to pay to remain in her social circle.
(d) She considers the possibilty of revenge by a hurt party-goer silly.
4. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(b) Early 1900s.
(c) Early 1800s.
5. Why is Lily angry with herself following the meeting with Simon Rosedale as she was leaving Lawrence Selden's apartment building?
(a) She is angry because of the way she treated Simon Rosedale.
(b) She is angry for letting herself be seen talking to Simon Rosedale.
(c) She is angry because she didn't think quickly enough to give a satisfactory explanation for being there.
(d) She is angry becase she forgot to ask Simon Rosedale for a loan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gerty Farish?
2. What is Lily's reaction when Lawrence suggests that they have tea at a popular cafe near the train station while Lily waits for her train?
3. What is Gerty's financial situation at the beginning of the story?
4. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
5. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)