|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lily wondering about the night before she intends to go to Sunday morning church services with Percy Gryce?
(a) If she should ask Gus Trenor for a loan
(b) If she should agree to marry Simon Rosedale.
(c) If she should really go through with her plan to win over Percy Gryce.
(d) If Lawrence Selden came to Bellomont to see her or Bertha Dorset.
2. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
(a) To complete a chore for Mrs. Trenor.
(b) Catching up with her high-ranking friends in her social circle.
(c) Getting fresh air to get rid of her headache.
(d) To walk to church to meet Percy Gryce on his way home from church.
3. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
(a) She wants him to loan her money.
(b) She wants him to marry her.
(c) She wants him to be her friend.
(d) She wants him to find a place for her to live.
4. The House of Mirth take place during what period?
(a) Early 1800s.
(d) Early 1900s.
5. Who is Mrs. Judy Trenor?
(a) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(b) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(c) Lily's rival for Percy Gryce.
(d) A party guest at the top of Lily's social circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
2. What is Lily concerned about at the beginning of chapter 2, book 1?
3. Who is Gerty Farish?
4. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
5. How does Lawrence feel about Lily's reaction to his suggestion that they have tea at a popular cafe?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)