|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lily Bart waiting for a train when she is first introduced in the book?
(a) She is going on vacation.
(b) She is waiting for an old friend.
(c) She is going to work.
(d) She is going to a social engagement.
2. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
(a) Propose to Lawrence Selden.
(b) Attend church with Percy Gryce.
(c) Ask Gus Trenor for a loan.
(d) Propose to Percy Gryce.
3. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
(a) From the book she was reading on the train.
(b) From a conversation with Lawrence Selden.
(c) From gossip with friends in her own social circlre.
(d) From her own hobby.
4. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(b) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
(c) A divorced party guest.
(d) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
5. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is afraid for Gerty.
(b) She envies Gerty's situation.
(c) She feels sympathy toward her.
(d) She looks down on Gerty's situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
2. What does Mrs. Trenor ask Lily to do in book 1, chapter 4?
3. What does Lily tell Simon when he questions her presence at Lawrence's apartment building?
4. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
5. Why must Lily comply with Mrs. Trenor's request in book 1, chapter 4?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)