|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily want from Lawrence at the beginning of the story?
(a) She wants him to loan her money.
(b) She wants him to find a place for her to live.
(c) She wants him to be her friend.
(d) She wants him to marry her.
2. What hobby of Percy Gryce's does Lily discuss with him while on the train to the party at Bellomont?
(b) Mutual acquaintances.
(c) Her busy social schedule.
(d) The stock market.
3. Who is Mrs. Van Osburgh?
(a) A divorced party guest.
(b) A wealthy social rival of Mrs. Trenor.
(c) The hostess of the party at Bellomont.
(d) Lily's aunt, with whom she resides.
4. What happens while Lily is deep in thought on Sunday morning before church?
(a) She is late for breakfast, risking her social standing.
(b) She misses spending time with Lawrence Selden and Bertha Dorset.
(c) She misses Gus Trenor whom she wanted to ask for a loan.
(d) She misses the bus to church.
5. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) London, England.
(d) New York City, New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily view the results of her activities the first night of the party?
2. Who interrupts Lily's flirtations with Percy on the train?
3. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
4. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
5. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)