|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does The House of Mirth take place?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) New York City, New York.
(c) London, England.
(d) Paris, France.
2. In book 1, chapter 5, what is Lily's initial motive for going outside after leaving the library on Sunday afternoon?
(a) Getting fresh air to get rid of her headache.
(b) Catching up with her high-ranking friends in her social circle.
(c) To walk to church to meet Percy Gryce on his way home from church.
(d) To complete a chore for Mrs. Trenor.
3. Whom did the hostess of the party promise Mrs. George Dorset would be at the party?
(a) Simon Rosedale.
(b) Lawrence Selden.
(c) Gus Trenor.
(d) Percy Gryce.
4. How does Lily feel about Gerty's living conditions at the beginning of the story?
(a) She looks down on Gerty's situation.
(b) She envies Gerty's situation.
(c) She is afraid for Gerty.
(d) She feels sympathy toward her.
5. What is Lily's plan for Percy Gryce whom she meets while on the train to Bellomont?
(a) Lily plans to be a matchmaker for Percy Gryce and Bertha Dorset.
(b) Lily plans to flirt with Percy Gryce to make Lawrence Selden jealous.
(c) Lily plans to ask Percy Gryce for a loan.
(d) Lily plans to win Percy Gryce over so he will propose marriage to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lily envious of Mrs. Bertha Dorset's flirting with Percy Gryce at the party?
2. What is the result of Lily's activities the first night of the party?
3. In book 1, chapter 5, what does Lily intend to do on Sunday morning?
4. Where does Lily acquire the knowledge to discuss Percy's hobby?
5. How does Lily spend the first night of the party at Bellomont?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)